R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-13-2007, 09:06 AM   #16
Tech Elite

cool I can race Open
Old 03-13-2007, 09:08 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

How can the FACTORY stock guys move up when the Mod. guys keep moving down to 19turn
dawgmeat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:10 AM   #18
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Man, I remember this question originally being posed back when the frickin' Street Weapon was still Losi's main sedan, I can't believe this is still an issue.

O'well, heres my thought on it...

Of course they should be allowed to race in any class. Why?

-If more and more of them are racing stock and 19t, then they no longer have to go to mod to "race the best", because the best are now in every class.
-If your that worried about getting beat by a big name driver, ummm...a big Nationals or Reginals event probably isn't the best time to be racing.

-and the biggest reason why sponsored drivers should be able to race in whatever class they want....drum roll please....

...the "WE WON" mentality

...whats that you ask? Its when a company's sponsored driver wins, and you have idiots on the boards bragging like they won, just because they own the same car from that company. I even asked a guy who was doing this once, 'do you really feel like YOU won just because the company who makes your car won?' And being completely serious, dude was like "yeah, I do feel like I shared in that win"....

...oooo....kaaaaaayyyy....

So as long as people get that excited about ummm....them winning along with the company, then the companies will keep flooding every class with sponsored drivers...including stock and 19t...and brushless...and any other class they may have a chance to win in. Because every win in ANY class means a sale to some guy like the person I mentioned above.

So if people really want sponsored drivers out of the 'lower' classes, then stop getting so damned excited every time some sponsored guy crushes a field full of weekend racers in a stock or 19t class, then the companies' might not see it as worth it to run in them.

Until then, or some kind of rules change, sponsored drivers are there to stay in every class they can run in.

Just my thoughts though...
Old 03-13-2007, 09:10 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to A. Rhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by gijoe64
I know this topic has been covered but when you get the same sponsered drivers winning a class that was designed for the racer that could not compete with pro drivers
What about Snowbirds? A non "factory" driver took the TQ and another won. Not saying they did not have support/sponsors, but it does go to show that even the "pros" can be beat by the "non pro" at any level of racing.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:13 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Rhodes
What about Snowbirds? A non "factory" driver took the TQ and another won. Not saying they did not have support/sponsors, but it does go to show that even the "pros" can be beat by the "non pro" at any level of racing.
True they just put in the extra hard work, and it paid off HUGE!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 09:14 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Your turn....

KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:14 AM   #22
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Thats what Mod is for !

No need for any other class`s....
Thats kinda like saying we don't need another kind of motor. (Brushless)
A class Like this would end the argument. You enter the sponsored class? ITs your bad. You enter the in nonsponsored club level class you cant cry.
We should keep in mind that a thread like this can help in an effort to pacify both classes of racers. Not everyone is mod racer level or we wouldn't hear this kind of talk. Some good in put in here will help rule makers out.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:16 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Should grown men really be crying about an f-ing toy car?
jrighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:16 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

This topic has been talk about 1000 times. Do Pro/Paid Drivers need to be removed from Stock…..That’s a matter of opinion and everyone has one. How many of the drivers in stock sedan class at last weekends ROAR nats will receive some sort of paycheck or other bonus for their performance? 50% or more….I would speculate to say that they have or will receive some sort of compensation for the results. Is this right that these guys are getting paid to race stock? I would say that its ok for them to get paid, as they are giving their sponsor’s some great advertising for their performance and they will make money off the results so why shouldn’t these guys make money? This is all about marketing and stock racing is a great place to showcase your equipments ability to perform at the top level. This is about national level events and I would venture a guess that about 95% of the top 40 in stock sedan have some sort of sponsorship. So at a race of this magnitude I don’t really see an issue with Pro/Paid drivers in stock. I do how ever see a problem with the same 10 or so guys racing stock for the last 4 or 5 years. If ROAR or other race directors do anything they should make put a rule in place that if you make the top 5 in any of the stock classes in the last year the following 2 years you are not allowed to race stock….you can only race 19t and or mod. This would force people to move on to the higher classes. You have to look at it like these drivers are giving a given sponsor a result that will result in that company getting more sales….so these drivers should get some compensation for their time and effort. If you are a “free lance” or unsponsored driver and you win a national event and the manufacturer of the car you used or what ever wants to use your result in their new ad….you would be a fool not to get some sort of compensation for your hard work and result.

I will say its lame to see the same people race stock and the same people race mod and the names in the mains never really change. Over the past few years there have been stock racers that have moved up and done well in mod but we need to get more of the fast stock racers to move up as well. And yes that paycheck or what ever that they get for stock results is hard to walk away from but thats why ROAR and Race directors need to step up and make a change to force them out of stock. For the guys that say they wont get any help from their team if they race mod well guess what that says alot about what your team thinks of you and your abilities.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:17 AM   #25
Suspended

Surprised nobody posted the hackneyed, "The sponsors tell them to race stock" excuse.

How about getting a spine? Freewill is a wonderful thing. They should try it.

Makes you wonder what else they'll do for the right amount.
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrighter
Should grown men really be crying about an f-ing toy car?
lma&bo!!!
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:19 AM   #27
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmooth
Surprised nobody posted the hackneyed, "The sponsors tell them to race stock" excuse.

How about getting a spine? Freewill is a wonderful thing. They should try it.

Oh yeah...The sponsors tell them to race stock....
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:20 AM   #28
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmooth
How much are you offering?

Yeah...can't we just all read up on the other 4 or 5 threads on the SAME SUBJECT and call this one done?

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:21 AM   #29
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Yeah...can't we just all read up on the other 4 or 5 threads on the SAME SUBJECT and call this one done?
Already helped out on that.
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 09:21 AM   #30
Tech Regular

This is a doubled-edged sword. On one hand, there should be a class for the beginners to run where they do not have to race against factory supported drivers...a slower, entry level class. As it stands right now, the slowest class currently offered is stock.

Unfortunately, with todays batteries, motors, tires, cars, etc; stock racing is not very slow or "user friendly" for a beginner. For this reason, it is also the largest, most popular class run nationwide at the club level- as the layouts of most club tracks don't lend themselves to much greater speeds.

Stock racing is also a huge source of revenue for motor companies and battery companies...far greater than 19 turn and mod combined. Due to these factors, I believe that the racers who compete in stock every week at the club level should be able to have factory support due to the economic side alone.

I honestly do not feel that if all the top stock drivers moved up, we would see a huge influx of new racers. The difficulty level and speed of stock is too high for new racers...When is the last time you've seen a totally clean stock qualifyer or main at the National Level?

I think the solution would to be offer a slower, more user-friendly class for newbies to learn at...possibly a 4 cell stock sedan class, or a 35 turn 1/12th stock class, (I believe CRC already runs this). This would make it easier for new racers to learn how to drive and still leave the current stock classes in tact.

Any thoughts?

"Where The Fast guys Shop"
Putnam Propulsion Competition Motors and Accessories
Todd Putnam is offline   Reply With Quote