R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-15-2007, 10:49 AM   #181
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
For those people complaining about equipment, try this ... next time you're at the track, ask one of the local sponsored drivers to take a few laps with your car. Most of the time they will run faster laptimes, that's if you're car isn't pile.
I've done that. They were .3 seconds per lap faster then me with my car but .6 seconds slower then with their own car and equipment. They told me it was probably my batteries. We use the same car/setup but I use brushless 13.5 and they use a Co27.

Interesting enough the guy that drove my car is sponsored and thinks sponsored drivers have no business being in stock classes at big events. He will race stock at club races so that there are more drivers (and he is a measuring stick) but his feeling is all sponsored drivers should be in Mod (or at least 19T). To his credit he sticks to that himself even though he ends up in the C/D mains.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:54 AM   #182
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
I've done that. They were .3 seconds per lap faster then me with my car but .6 seconds slower then with their own car and equipment. They told me it was probably my batteries. We use the same car/setup but I use brushless 13.5 and they use a Co27.
ahahahahahahaha

you honestly think batteries are worth 0.6sec per lap

.... 0.1 - 0.2 at the most...

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
peter_robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:57 AM   #183
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_robinson
ahahahahahahaha

you honestly think batteries are worth 0.6sec per lap

.... 0.1 - 0.2 at the most...
Didn't I just say he said that? It was a quote. My packs by the way werent new so I have no doubt they could make up that difference. My guess is if I were running his packs then I would maybe be closer to the same time he got with my car and he would have probably been faster then his own car with mine (13.5 vs brushed).
Old 03-15-2007, 11:07 AM   #184
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8ital
Didn't I just say he said that? It was a quote. My packs by the way werent new so I have no doubt they could make up that difference. My guess is if I were running his packs then I would maybe be closer to the same time he got with my car and he would have probably been faster then his own car with mine (13.5 vs brushed).
yes, i realize you quoted some one, if you hadn't then it would have been a little weird for you to use the phrase "he told me..."

but having selected that quote, you obviously believe it some extent, otherwise you wouldnt have posted it... and i am telling you that batteries arent worth that much on the track, new or old... the difference between a 1.35 and a 1.40 will only *maybe* be felt by a guy thats finishing top 3 in the a-main at any big race.

chassis setup, good driving lines and staying off the pipes is why they are faster.

people always like to blame it on the equipment, not that they were out driven on the track...

RC-Trim | Serpent USA | On-Point | Trinity | Revtech | ORCA | BSR | KO Propo | PT RC Racing Oil | WTRC | rcpitwhores.com
Old 03-15-2007, 11:14 AM   #185
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_robinson
yes, i realize you quoted some one, if you hadn't then it would have been a little weird for you to use the phrase "he told me..."

but having selected that quote, you obviously believe it some extent, otherwise you wouldnt have posted it... and i am telling you that batteries arent worth that much on the track, new or old... the difference between a 1.35 and a 1.40 will only *maybe* be felt by a guy thats finishing top 3 in the a-main at any big race.

chassis setup, good driving lines and staying off the pipes is why they are faster.

people always like to blame it on the equipment, not that they were out driven on the track...
Someone suggested they have a pro drive their car. I was just posting the facts about what happened when I did. Nothing more. I cant go back and change the times based on what you want to hear. Obviously all kinds of things go into lap times but he drove my car which is the same as his with his setup and was slower with my stuff then his own. But at the same time he was faster then me. So to me it shows I need to learn how to drive better but at the same time there is an equipment aspect of it as well. The equipment might not make up for all that time (perhaps traction wasnt the same on the track in the morning vs when he ran later in the day) but there is certainly something to it.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:26 AM   #186
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

We rarely, if ever cover the numbers up on our team packs....

And I can tell you whyt he big companies do it....cause if ONE cell has say 1.241 over 1.1240 the rest of the cells are, the team guys can get all pissy about it(not all of them, but it happens).....so to avoid this, SMC, Trinity, Etc just mark out the cells numbers.....and even then, that doesn't always happen.

I can tell you straight out, the packs in the case at Vegas from us, were JUST as good as any stock pack out there.....I didn't bring many mod packs to sell, because they simply don't sell at the big events.....but number wise, we shipped 30+ packs to customers just as good as what dumas won 1/12th scale with.......and probably a good 40 as good as his 6 cell packs....

I saw the packs blackstock won with at Vegas.....numbers were HORRIBLE.....and they cycled out even worse than the labels said.....yet he still won....

As for letting the pro's drive yer car.......well, once I was racing down at the local track, touring car stock rubber. My cells in the car were my lowest grade packs we had, I was just trying to use them, cause the lower grades never sell well.....1.16 GP3300...OOOH....My car seemed good, but I could not tell, it was brand new and one of my racers built it. Travis Schreven grabbed it (was an xray)......he drove it for 2 minutes and turn the 3 fastest laps of the entire weekend.......and this was friday practice still....everyone was seeing my name on the screen turning the fastest laps....and going WTF....he gave it back to me, I never even came close to his lap times.....nor did anyone else, with 1.17-1.18 batteries....

Maybe it was the car though.....cause Peter stole it the next week and took it to a series race....and WON (modified class)....then went to snowbirds and did well with it, then took it to carpet nats and won stock nats a couple of weeks later....

Later EddieO
Old 03-15-2007, 11:29 AM   #187
Mal

Mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:31 AM   #188
Tech Champion

I think we can all agree there are about a million variables in racing but the two biggest are skill and luck. You just hope you can find the best setup, motor, battery combo you can in the few runs you get. One hit of the boards likely wipes out any advantage in equipment you had.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:32 AM   #189
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal
Well ... I'm sure he would have run faster laptimes if he had time to set-up your car. Set-up knowledge is damn close to driver skill when it comes to being fast.
Is that directed at me? He did setup my car.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:34 AM   #190
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TeamButter

If you had packs like Steve Weiss then they would be good for about .06-.09 per lap...
Old 03-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #191
The Evicerator
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

hahaha what's that all about butter?
Old 03-15-2007, 12:02 PM   #192
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muahdib4
Large races are for large competitors...even stock. I hate to say it but why wouldn't they be allowed? They have obligations to the manufacturers that support them. True, I do believe there should be a series dedicated to the amateur driver that isn't sponsored (hmm..like TCS racing) but big names draw the publicity. Also, it isn't really ROAR's responsibility to define WHO is allowed to race in what classes...they simply define the classes that many large races use and even then..many use their own rules. I know it can get old seeing all the same names in every A main from Stock to Mod but these guys have the sponsorships they have for a reason...they can flat-out drive.
a fella tried to start a race series for amateurs and even offered sponsorships and cash.. he got laughed off rctech... he even wanted to put the event on tv...

Turns out not where, but who your with that really matters... DMB
tallyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:53 PM   #193
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Of course they should not be. And really should not be racing 19T either.

You will never see Cavalieri, Drake, Amezcua, Maifield, or Tebo racing 19T.
TC has simply changed the way things have always been....

does anyone know who won stock at the Cactus last year?? see my point...

the Industry is changed financially by who wins the TC stock class at these races...it is important to the factories....because it is important to Joe, the TC club racer who is making decisions on where to spend his next check..

Team Associated/Reedy/LRP
STARSCREAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:58 PM   #194
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by STARSCREAM
TC has simply changed the way things have always been....

does anyone know who won stock at the Cactus last year?? see my point...

the Industry is changed financially by who wins the TC stock class at these races...it is important to the factories....because it is important to Joe, the TC club racer who is making decisions on where to spend his next check..
Yup , a big reason the newbee`s turn away from racing Sedan today as a result...

Go ahead tell the newbee who he has to beat to win in the beginner class`s ...

They are not going to buy, if you stop um from having the same fun as the experience racer`s achieve in beating beginner`s...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:12 PM   #195
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Yup , a big reason the newbee`s turn away from racing Sedan today as a result...

Go ahead tell the newbee who he has to beat to win in the beginner class`s ...

They are not going to buy, if you stop um from having the same fun as the experience racer`s achieve in beating beginner`s...
doesnt matter, any class that cherry is racing in automatically becomes the beginners class...

to change the topic a bit, he is the true testament to the harm that traction compound can do to a person. blind, bald and actually (no joke here) thinks that he was abducted by aliens some years ago...