Wiki Posts
Search

Charging cells on Duratrax ICE

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Charging cells on Duratrax ICE

Hey guys,

I'm new to electric and was hoping some of you guys could help me out. When I'm charging racing cells (NiMh), what would be the best charge setting on an ICE? Do I discharge then charge? About how long will the batteries take to charge? Also, does anyone out there have a good guide for assembling battery packs? Thanks!
Old 03-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What batteries? Brand, configuration, mah rating? The well known ones the supplier has advice on how to care for them and charge them. How long it takes to charge depends on the mah rating of the batteries, how discharged they are, and the rate of charge. For instance, a 3800 mah IB3800 might take 41 minutes to charge at 6 amps when its been discharged to 0.9volts per cell.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Tech Adept

http://www.modelairplanenews.com/rc/...ld_battery.asp

Originally Posted by Vismund Cygnus
Hey guys,

I'm new to electric and was hoping some of you guys could help me out. When I'm charging racing cells (NiMh), what would be the best charge setting on an ICE? Do I discharge then charge? About how long will the batteries take to charge? Also, does anyone out there have a good guide for assembling battery packs? Thanks!
Old 03-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Tech Initiate

Iceracer-Batteries haven't yet been purchased, but I'm probably going to pick up some Team Brood 4200's.

MadMikeB-Thanks for the link!
Old 03-08-2007, 10:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

When the batteries are new, you want to put about a 10 minute charge in them, then tray them to .9v/cell. After that either charge them a 6 amps with a 0mv peak or 5 amps with a 3mv peak for a couple of charges. I've noticed on new batteries they get hot the first few charges. Once they "settle" charge at 6 amps with 3mv peak. This is assuming ib4200. As far as assembling: DON'T hold the solder iron on the battery for more than absolutely necessary.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by trilerian
When the batteries are new, you want to put about a 10 minute charge in them, then tray them to .9v/cell. After that either charge them a 6 amps with a 0mv peak or 5 amps with a 3mv peak for a couple of charges. I've noticed on new batteries they get hot the first few charges. Once they "settle" charge at 6 amps with 3mv peak. This is assuming ib4200. As far as assembling: DON'T hold the solder iron on the battery for more than absolutely necessary.
Awesome, thanks! Is the Tekin discharger.equalizer tray any good? It's pretty cheap. BTW about how many packs should I have if I want to be racing? Does charging the batteries really take 41 minutes, or is just 41 minutes when you're initially charging them, not charging them just after you've ran them?
Old 03-09-2007, 09:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Charge time depends completely on capacity. If you just recharge after a race you might only be putting 2000mah back into the pack which will take a very short time compared to a completely discharged pack that I've seen take upwards of 4900mah.

I know several people that use Tekin's Battery Doc. tray. I do believe though that it's cutoff is a little low (.5v) so if you are not going to be using the pack again the same day you MUST put some charge back into it. A .9v cutoff, I've been told, can sit for up to a week (max) without issues. However, I always put at least 500mah in a pack before a weeks storage.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by gubbs3
Charge time depends completely on capacity. If you just recharge after a race you might only be putting 2000mah back into the pack which will take a very short time compared to a completely discharged pack that I've seen take upwards of 4900mah.

I know several people that use Tekin's Battery Doc. tray. I do believe though that it's cutoff is a little low (.5v) so if you are not going to be using the pack again the same day you MUST put some charge back into it. A .9v cutoff, I've been told, can sit for up to a week (max) without issues. However, I always put at least 500mah in a pack before a weeks storage.
Cool, thanks. How much do NiMh's self discharge? If I for instance fully charged a pack at home and drove about 30 minutes to the track, would I have to charge the pack again?
Old 03-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Tech Addict

I would repeak it when you get to the track if racing. If practicing, it doesn't matter that much.

Another thing on the Ice is "peak delay". By default it is set for 3 minutes and this causes many false peaks. I set mine for the max of 10 minutes and all is great.
Old 03-09-2007, 12:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by fraz
I would repeak it when you get to the track if racing. If practicing, it doesn't matter that much.

Another thing on the Ice is "peak delay". By default it is set for 3 minutes and this causes many false peaks. I set mine for the max of 10 minutes and all is great.
Cool, thanks for the tip. Know any good tips for alternating between packs during a race? On Promatch's site, it says you shouldn't run a pack more than twice a night during a race, but I don't know how I'll be able to charge other packs efficiently. Thanks for everyones help so far, I really appreciate it!
Old 03-10-2007, 07:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Anyone?
Old 03-10-2007, 07:39 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Thats a great method. You are actually balanceing the cells. Bringing them down to an even discharge, a perfect way to start a pack. I like that idea its the first time I've heard it.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Thats a great method. You are actually balanceing the cells. Bringing them down to an even discharge, a perfect way to start a pack. I like that idea its the first time I've heard it.
I can't take credit for that, it is on the promatch instructions. At least I think it is.
Originally Posted by vismund cygnus
Cool, thanks for the tip. Know any good tips for alternating between packs during a race? On Promatch's site, it says you shouldn't run a pack more than twice a night during a race, but I don't know how I'll be able to charge other packs efficiently. Thanks for everyones help so far, I really appreciate it!
I am not quite sure what you are asking. Are you just trying to keep the number of cycles the same, or is it a question of time, or are you asking if you can charge a pack more than twice a race meeting?
Old 03-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Tech Initiate

I can't take credit for that, it is on the promatch instructions. At least I think it is.

I am not quite sure what you are asking. Are you just trying to keep the number of cycles the same, or is it a question of time, or are you asking if you can charge a pack more than twice a race meeting?
I meant a question of time, sorry about that.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

How many classes are you running, and how long do you have between heats? To be honest, unless you are trying to break track records or looking for that extra 1/10th of a second for the first couple of minutes, your batteries can be charged 30-45 minutes before you use them. So you shouldn't have problems getting batteries charged. If you run more than two classes you may need to buy another charger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.