R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-27-2001, 08:05 AM   #46
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

ott....i was also at the round robin...are thay having that series again?????i waould like to race at it....tim and mylo....that is a pair.....
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 11:49 AM   #47
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Mr Losi- No round Robbin this year, Larry from Hobby Town in Sheboygan was, ummm, released from his duties at the store and since he set up the series last year I dont think it will happen. Unless you can get someone down there to set it up, I know I would like to have it again.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 11:55 AM   #48
Administrator

well at least we still have the i-94 challenge, with trackside....
Old 11-27-2001, 11:59 AM   #49
Tech Elite

Are there many (A main type) guys running Losi in Madison (stock class) or are we going to be the only two at the Challenge?
Old 11-27-2001, 05:50 PM   #50
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Adrian....I know that Cyrul, Lemuiex and Spachet ran new or 2 run tires everytime their car was on the track at Cleveland. I ran 4 sets of tires at the race myself and I know that others ran more and some made due with less. Now if this race was rubber tires I would have only gone through 2 maybe 3 sets of rubber tires with the amount of track time we had. I still would have been able to use the rubber tires at club races with no problem, the foams on the other hand probably not. I have seen on other websites that Cyrul says that he runs the same set all weekend with foams and thats a crock, he could do that but you could do the same with rubber tires. This is a guy who gets the stuff for free you think hes going to run 1 set of tires all weekend no way he will run whats the fastest and it is most of the time 2 runs. The foam tires are easy to race on and easy to go fast thats why most guys like them. Rubber tires take alot more skill to get the right tire and insert combo and its more of a challange. I will race which ever one the event calls for and it will still cost the same weather its foams or rubbers. I just think ROAR should find a way to make it more cost effective to race the big races. I know that the clubs that host the events need to make money but why not spend 45 bucks and all the money goes to the club and the motors and tires are given away. Its just a little hard to swallow that it will cost 80 or more bucks to race stock at a national race. This is the reason that I have not gone to any ROAR events in the past year for this simple fact. I think that this is the part of the sport that is getting out of hand. People can complain that there is new rubber tires out every week but the guys who race are only buying the same ones all the time. I race carpet on two types of rubber tires YOKOMO 138's and 139's and may try PIT's now that they are back, but thats it you dont need every tire that is out there just the ones that work for you.

Matt I will be up at Scotty's every sunday this winter and will hopefully make the New Years day race.....hope I dont get another Speeding ticket on the way like I did last year.....yeah the 87mph ticket was not good and was hard on the wallet too.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 11:18 PM   #51
R/C Tech Founder

ottoman: I will break down the guys in Madison for you (even though this probably isn't the thread to do it in... heh)

(in no particular order)

Tim - TC3
Colombo - TC3
Jeff G. - TC3
Matt - Losi but bitchin' all the way (heh heh)
Bob S. - was Losi but BACK to TC3
Charlie T. - Losi
Jim G. - Losi
Cesar - 414M (or whatever the flavor of the month is!)
George S. - TC3
Steve B. - TC3 (I think...)
Myles - Yokomo
myself - Losi

So basically, it's still a TC3 club. The three guys that pretty much always make up the top 3 are all with TC3s. I think the Losi can be up there but with stock motors it's kind of a gray area, and we're not running mod here at the moment. From what I've seen and heard, I think the Losi may be a much better mod car than a stock car. But who knows.
Old 11-27-2001, 11:21 PM   #52
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I spoken with the track directors at the only 2 tracks that bid on the Carpet Nats this year and neither will allow Foams if they win the rights to the event. No one runs Foam tires at either one of these tracks and none of the racers at either track have any desire to do so. They have spoken with the leadership of ROAR and have the impression the tire choice is at the discresion of the host organization since they determine what the spec tire for the event will be.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 02:49 AM   #53
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

One thing no one seems to bring up in this debate over tires is that there are shore ratings on foam tires. Certain sponsored drivers that want to race foam tires keep pitching the idea that it is so easy because there is only combination of tires to run, purple's and plaid's. That's a crock because I would bet the farm that they have purple's in every shore rating and the same for plaid's. Who are they trying to fool. I agree with Kevin K., any sponsored driver telling you they ran a big race on two sets of foams is lying. Maybe they qualified and ran the main on two sets but I am positive they tried a 44 rear, and then tried a 45 rear or maybe a 43 rear. Bottom line run what you want at the club level. If your club runs rubber, run rubber. If your club runs foam, run foam. In the end it all cost's the same.
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 09:27 AM   #54
Administrator

this is the best
"true "conversation on this topic........

fut..you can put bob in front of me....
Old 11-28-2001, 07:17 PM   #55
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Express is right I have seen the factory guys in the pits looking over the fams that they have and using a duromintor(sp) and checking the firmness of the foam. This is a good thread that seems so far to be telling the truth, its hard to say weather or not the guys on other threads are telling the truth or are they saying what they say to get their sponsor more sales b/c they sell foam tires and not rubber????? Just run what the club races and dont go changing b/c ROAR has aproved what ever. I do belive that ROAR needs to find a way to make it more cost effective for the sportsman and stock guys to race at the nationals that should be their number one goal for the next year, and if not may be its time for another orginazation to step up and show them how to make it work for the people.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2001, 10:49 PM   #56
Tech Elite

Futurreal.... thanks for the breakdown. I will be comming down to race one of these weeks and I will try my Losi but I never leave home without my TC3, just in case
Old 11-30-2001, 10:40 PM   #57
Tech Adept

Hi,

I (we) run foams at our club in Mi. we went to Cleveland with 10 sets of foams (just in case) we ended up running only 3 sets and on e was because it was chunked in a really bad wreck. we have run rubber in the past (Scotty's Novak/Mid West Touring series). I will say I spent more money on rubber than foams that year. we also run foams on the gas Sedans. what we run outdoors when they get too small we save them for indoors. as for buying a tire truer you can always someone with a truer you can use at our track. we are going to 1/8th on road this summer as my son has decided that onroad is the way for him to go. I have been pricing the 1/8th scale tires and found that they aren't that much more than 1/10th scale foams (until you get to the multi ring tires). at our track rubber is on the way out as we can get 3 weekends off a set of foams (practice, then 3 and a main). this is on a sedan that is driven hard into the corners. yes there is some work in running them. rollout is easy when you get the hang of it my 12 year old does it all the time. chunking can be a problem. we have only chunked a front tire at Cleveland this year and that's it. as for Josh running one set of tires all day I have seen this too yuo just start with a bigger tire and adjust your gearing from there.
I also beleive that foams are easier on carpet than rubber. at the last carpet Nats I went too they ran rubber and it wore through the fast 180 at the end of the straight.....to the point the race m.c. was telling everyonre to be carefull at that end so the carpet would not get ripped.
I might make it over to Scotty's because he puts on a GREAT race and even tho it's rubber we'll still run...... any good setups for rubber at Scotty's?????????

Thanks

Fakk2
Fakk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 09:23 AM   #58
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Express is on to something. One of the pro foam arguments is that at this time there are only 3 foam tire compounds that work on carpet. At the moment rubber outsells foam sedan tires but over 200 to 1. The is no money to be made selling foam right now. I can bet you that if we all go to foam TRC, Jaco, Yokomo, Ellegi, Champion, Arrow and Treadz will all start developing new compounds for this new market.

Issue number 2. Everyone says foams make the car easier to setup. This isn't true at all. You car will feel hooked up with a variety of setups but it will not be fast.

At the Carpet Nats this year the local racers put on a demo race to prove how much better foams were. They invited top drivers like Cyrul, Baker and other to race the local top drivers on foam and rubber. On rubber the factory drivers beat the locals by a lap. On foams the factory drivers beat the locals by 3 LAPS! Everyone went faster on foams but the regular mortal drivers were at a bigger disadvantage.

Why, because most hobbyist R/C racers don't know a lot about car setup. They just copy setups from the AE, Yokomo, Losi, Schumacher...., websites and never really learn to tune their cars. Most Factory drivers are very good at setting up cars. Thats why they are so damn fast.

You have a certain degree of traction and rolling resistance on rubber. It can be kind of an equalizer of setup.

On Foam everyone's car feels good. Traction is great. You can bolt in as much power as you can handle in Mod. The problem is that if you don't have the perfect setup you car will be 3-5/10ths off the paceper lap of a guy that can set up a car.

The issue is having too much traction. You need to balance traction, steering and corner speed with you personal driving style in order to get fast lap times. That's why Billy Eastons TC3 set up from last year at Cleveland didn't work for a lot of people. Most of us don't drive like Billy and we sure as hell don't have motors and batts like he does.

Roar has ~5000 members. The vote on Foam was decided on 280 ballots thet were returned mostly from regions 1 and 2.

We will see what happens in 2002. I think we will lose a lot of racers because of it. The fast guys will get faster and the guys that race for fun will get tired of getting beat and take up fly fishing.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 04:23 PM   #59
Tech Champion

In Sydney, Austraila we allow the racers to run foam or rubber and the track conditions will dictate what is selected, I think this is a very fair situation.

If there are people who struggle to set there cars up on foam then the fast guys should help them out, and help them learn their cars, that what we try to do at our club meetings.

Last edited by black-knight; 12-01-2001 at 04:27 PM.
black-knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2001, 07:16 PM   #60
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I have read somewhere but I don't know if it will be true or not. It will be up to the track that is hosting the event wether or not they want to run foam or want to run rubber tires.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote