R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-21-2001, 07:12 PM   #31
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

So could someone please confirm..the rules are??

1. Foam tires allowed on just carpet?? (or is it both asphalt and carpet)

2. Mod and Stock racing 5min

am i correct??

Why would foam not be allowed on asphalt? (and don't say tire wear and costs!). At some events i may only get 2mm of tire wear all day with foam.

At most races in Australia we allow both foam and rubber and the racers use what ever works best on the track.

Last edited by black-knight; 11-21-2001 at 07:27 PM.
black-knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 08:00 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

bk,

Yes, foam is okay on carpet only. Mod motors limited to ten turns or more, and both stock and mod to run five minutes.

Why would foams not be allowed on asphalt? The perception is that foams work so much better than rubber and are way more expensive. The truth is really that foams work about as well as the correct rubber tire/insert/rim combo on any given day, are cheaper, and last longer.

Trips

Last edited by Trips; 11-21-2001 at 08:02 PM.
Trips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 11:06 PM   #33
Regional Moderator

Foam only works on clean asphalt, but rubber works almost everywhere.

I have to admit that foam works a lot better than rubber on clean asphalt.
White cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2001, 11:29 PM   #34
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by White cat
Foam only works on clean asphalt, but rubber works almost everywhere.

I have to admit that foam works a lot better than rubber on clean asphalt.
One surface on which rubber is supreme is on concrete!
Old 11-22-2001, 12:03 AM   #35
Regional Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by black-knight

One surface on which rubber is supreme is on concrete!
......and dusty concrete and dusty asphalt. Most of the parking lot tracks are in these conditions.

Last edited by White cat; 11-22-2001 at 04:53 PM.
White cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2001, 08:33 PM   #36

Is the foam tire rule for both mod and stock?
Speedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 04:46 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I run carpet only (well almost) and I prefer rubber. Yes they do slow down slightly after five runs and yes, you need several sets if you run at a big national event. But I only run a couple big events a year and race local all indoor season. I am also lazy. I hate trueing up my tires, I hate measureing and calculating my roll out and gearing, I hate it when I hit something (or am hit) and chunk my new foam. I have yet to destroy a rubber tire, wear out yes, destroy no. I sell my used tires to the local b-c-d main drivers, they are more then good enough for less experienced drives and I recoup a lot of my investment that way. I run foams on my 1/8th scale on road gas and go through a set a day, this is on a dusty asphalt track so I only race it a couple times a summer. I still like rubber and I have no problem with a track having a spec tire to help even out things.
ottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2001, 06:23 PM   #38
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

ottoman...where do you race, and what is your name, have you been to the madison track before???
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 10:39 PM   #39
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Foam Vs Rubber.....this battle will go on for ages. People that say Foams last longer and faster longer are just kidding them selfs and dont really know whats going on. I just came back from the US indoor champs and did you know that all the fast guys were running 1 to 2 run FOAM tires??? I bet you didn't but they were. Its the same weather its rubber or foam the fast guys that get stuff for free will use it to their advantage and run them just like that. Rubber tires are better for club races and the weekend racer. As for a big national event it should be up to the track and that is what ROAR did. They legalized FOAM's but they did not make it the only tire that can be used on carpet, it will still be up to the track to decide on rubber or foams. I think one thing ROAR should do is with the hand out tire rule, they should make the tire maker foam or rubber donate the tires to the race so the racer does not have to spend 80 bucks to just get into the event. The same can be said about the handout stock motors. The companies that make the motors and tires also have huge teams and give away more then then they sell for the national races. Lets try to make the hobby more cost effective and have a rule like that come up for vote. If you look at the entry fee's at big races who pays the most money????? the sportsman and the stock guys who are also the same guys that spend most of the money that keeps these same compaines in business. We need to look at that rather then complain about which tires works better where, b/c when it comes down to it the guys who get the stuff for free will still be the same guys who win. Lets try to help out the other guys that have to pay for what they get.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 10:46 PM   #40
Administrator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

great info kevin.....you know at the novak, a guy could run one or two sets of tires, then use them for the rest of the winter, but guys like to say that"hey i am fast, i went trough 5 sets of tires".those are the same guys who complain about cost, it sounds like the same will hapen with foam.....so i agree with all you said....will you be racing at trackside new years day?????...
Matt M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2001, 11:23 PM   #41
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Kevin-Sure, I can see Cyrul, Baker and Spashett running a weekend on the same tires but I guarantee you that the average drivers were chunking tires and buying new sets left and right.

I raced this weekend. I ran one set of Pit 24r's from friday morning all the way to the A-Mains on stock and 19T. I must of had well over 30 runs on the tires and they were still fast. I know because I glued up another set tired them in practice before the 3rd qual and they weren't any faster than the well run set. I just put them away for the next carpet race in January.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2001, 12:10 AM   #42
Tech Elite

Mr.Losi- I ran the round robbin last year in Madison. I run Trackside, Sheboygan, Oshkosh and I am going to try Green bay next week. The only guys from madison I know are Tim and Myles
Old 11-27-2001, 12:13 AM   #43
Tech Elite

AdrianM- How do the new Pits compare to the 25-20's ? I have seen 27R and 24R and I think 20's. Are they more like the Sorex?
Old 11-27-2001, 05:58 AM   #44
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I like Kevin's response. I agree with him also.
Old 11-27-2001, 06:06 AM   #45
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The thing I don't understand about this whole Roar voting deal (besides everyone is sac getting their rev up two days after the deadline) is that they didn't split up the voting between the 10 turn motor limit and the 5min heats. What if someone wanted the 10 turn rule but not the 5min deal or vice versa. Being forced to vote for two when you only want one was a no win situation. As far as foams go we'll see what happens. The average racer might begin to stray away due to the cost in which case the hobby will suffer. I could be wrong but only time will tell.