R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Dyna Pulse Discharger help.

Hi everyone,
Im curious to know what the Trinity Dyna Pulse Discharger exactly does for your batteries and how/when should it be used.
Any help much appreciated.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:37 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Dyna pulse dischargers use pulse (obviously) discharging to maintain a high amperage discharge, but without getting the batteries hot. They discharge is very short 30amp pulses with intervals with zero discharging. During the cycle you can actually hear the batteries ticking quietly. After a discharge the packs are still room temperature, they maybe gain 3-5 degrees at most. This is great for the batteries but it is time consuming. My packs typically have about 1600-1700 left in them and that takes roughly about 3.5 hours to discharge.

I normally don't use during a day of racing because of the time it takes. I use it to waken up the packs after they have sat for a week. I'll put each pack on it the day before the race to discharge what was left over from the last run.
gubbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubbs3
My packs typically have about 1600-1700 left in them and that takes roughly about 3.5 hours to discharge.
I've put brand new fully charged IB4200's on the DPD and they never take more than 3 hours to discharge. After a 6 minute mod buggy race, it usually takes 1.5 hours to discharge them. The only pack that ever took over 3 hours to discharge ended up having a bad cell.

Quote:
I normally don't use during a day of racing because of the time it takes. I use it to waken up the packs after they have sat for a week. I'll put each pack on it the day before the race to discharge what was left over from the last run.
You're supposed to discharge most nimh packs immediately after racing. They don't require having a charge left in them if you plan on using them again in less than 2 - 3 weeks.

If more people actually followed the instructions that comes with expensive racing batteries, they would last longer.

PS. My 3 nimh's and 2 DPD's are just expensive paperweights now that I've gone lipo!
Leodis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leodis
I've put brand new fully charged IB4200's on the DPD and they never take more than 3 hours to discharge. After a 6 minute mod buggy race, it usually takes 1.5 hours to discharge them. The only pack that ever took over 3 hours to discharge ended up having a bad cell.
something is wrong with your DPD or batteries

Quote:
You're supposed to discharge most nimh packs immediately after racing. They don't require having a charge left in them if you plan on using them again in less than 2 - 3 weeks.

If more people actually followed the instructions that comes with expensive racing batteries, they would last longer.
this would explain why discharging on the DPD takes so short of a time for you. The new 4200's self-discharge like it isn't anything. Most people recommend fully charging a pack if you are storing for over two weeks as 1000mAH will go down to 0mAH in that time.

p.s. as a 17 year-old kid with little to no income, I take care of my batteries
Old 03-08-2007, 08:15 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Quote:

PS. My 3 nimh's and 2 DPD's are just expensive paperweights now that I've gone lipo!
1 thats a dpd not the dyna pulse
on a fully charged 4 cell 4200 it takes me 6 hours about to discharge.
i dont do this any more i just use the much more discharger
2 you probobly had a dead cell cuz you did not put charge back in your cells
and after you run a pack dont discharge the pack
just take it out and let it cool and put 500 sec back in them till the next time you run them.
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:36 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

So its best to use the dyna pulse in between race meets eg. fully charge then discharge with the dyna pulse to keep the batteries in top condition? or after a run to discharge the remaining volts?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:41 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

i've used my dyna pulse after every 5 charge on my packs (like once a month). well after 5 months of doing that my ib3600 charges at 4200-4300mah and my ib 4200wc charges at 4600-4800mah.

though i only use my batts once a week. 27t and mod.
bmmer701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XrayMichaelT2

Here is what most of the guys at my track do and it seems to work.
1.after your race put your battery on a 30-35 amp discharger
2.if you're going to let your batteries sit for 3-7 days put them at 10%-20% charge, any longer put them at 30%-50%.
before your race use an equalizing tray to bring the cells down to .9 volts
i like the DPD because it can pulse each cell individually at 30amps
Michael S.
XX-4
Promarch 4200's, Orion carbon 3200
Duratrax ICE
Novak GTB 13.5
www.Michianarc.com
www.embassyraceway.com
XrayMichaelT2 is offline   Reply With Quote