R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-04-2003, 10:50 PM   #121
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sushi boy,

PW only mentioned about the race, so I'm not sure if it is a one-time thing or a change from the race onward on all pre-mount CS tire sets.

Steve Wang
Old 04-04-2003, 11:52 PM   #122
Tech Addict

Location: Orange County TrackMasters "The Home of R/C Champions"

Frank, come and get some!

I talk to Thad the other night about Saturday Night Dinner at Time Out Sports Bar, are you down? Many racers will be there and food, pool table, bar, tv's, darts and women are available.

Well, I don't know about the women but I'll let you know what I discus with the owner next week.

Frank, when you say your coming after me, what do you actually mean, your scaring me!
BendingCorners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 09:58 AM   #123
Tech Elite

I'll see ya'll at Tamiya on Sat.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 10:02 AM   #124
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Quote:
Originally posted by RCInfinity
I'll see ya'll at Tamiya on Sat.
Neil....they won't let you run your XRAY big guy....

So what class are you going to run?
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 01:42 PM   #125
Tech Elite

I was planning to just visit and drive someone elses Tamiya. Or I can just drive my F201.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 05:50 PM   #126
Tech Fanatic

Raffell - I'm certainly down for that - you might want to clear out when Thad and I get our drink on...if you think we're ruthless at the track it's 10x worse with liquor

And coming after you, as in not going to let you beat me!
Frank McKinney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2003, 09:26 PM   #127
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
Sushi boy,

PW only mentioned about the race, so I'm not sure if it is a one-time thing or a change from the race onward on all pre-mount CS tire sets.

Steve Wang
Thanks for the info Steve.
Old 04-06-2003, 12:15 AM   #128
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to kyle478

Old 04-06-2003, 01:36 PM   #129
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When I talked to Fred a week ago, he was going to do some testing on some new wheels that are supposed to be stronger! From what I gathered, the tire and insert is the same as last year.

I have not had any problems with these, but some people I know have. A local track uses them alot, some good drivers break um, and some newbies have not. Almost seems inconsistant.
dsrbltoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 08:20 PM   #130
Tech Fanatic

one question...what does reedy do? batts? motors?
davioh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 09:02 PM   #131
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Uhhh, you must be new here. Mike Reedy is one of the original and premier motor builders/winders. While he also has batteries, his forte" is motors. This race started to celebrate his birthday, which is why no one sactioning body 'claims' it. 40 of the best drivers are invited to race, while everyone else runs in the open classes. For the invitational drivers, every round counts towards a points system to determine the overall winner (with one throw-out run). No qualifying for them, just 10 (?) mains. The winner from the open mod class gets to run in the invitational class the next year. This race IS the race of the year, bar none.
SpeedWorld Raceway Roseville CA.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 09:29 PM   #132
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to bigoTC3fan Send a message via Yahoo to bigoTC3fan

who are the invited guys this year?
bigoTC3fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2003, 11:48 PM   #133
Tech Fanatic

The top drivers from each manufacturer are invited, so expect to see the best touring car drivers there (and many of the best off-road drivers and not-so-well-known drivers as well, to fill out the class with 40 drivers). Many many famous names from the US, Asia and Europe will be there.

The Reedy off-road race was the original Reedy Race, it was held at the MnM race track in Southern California until that track closed. I can't remember if there's even been an off-road Reedy Race recently, although I know Hot Rod Hobbies has hosted a couple of Reedy Truck Races.

Invitational class drivers run 4 races per day for two days, with one race each day as the throw-out. The first place finisher in each race gets 1 point, second gets 2, etc., so a "perfect" day is 3 points. The best finisher for the past 3 or 4 years has been Barry Baker (3 wins in 4 years I think), this is considered "his" race and he'll be a strong contender this year. A bunch of other drivers will certainly be gunning for him as well, with Tamiya drivers (like Dave Jun, who'll be able to practice there every day), other Associated drivers, Yokomo drivers and tons of others who are not as well known or are from smaller teams. Hopefully the goings-on in Iraq won't keep too many of the drivers from making the trip from Europe and Japan, it's great to see racers like Masami, Hara, Drescher and others in action IN PERSON. Certainly a race worth videotaping.

With the strong mix of pro touring car drivers this can basically be compared to the Worlds, although with a different flavor - since last year a "no one-way" rule has been in effect so drivers can actually try to out-brake each other into turns, plus premounted tires/wheels/inserts take out the oh-so-common "tire/insert war" and keep things basically level and let racers concentrate on skill instead of exotic, impossible to find inserts and/or tires to win.

For the mere mortals, there's a open mod class (10-turn limit) and open spec class (19T handout motors). These classes use the spec tires as well. Every racer has a limit on the number of sets they can use so tire management comes into play. The tire inspection system isn't perfect but it's the most workable system they can use I think and again it keeps the costs down for the regular racers. Instead of buying one set for each run you're limited to I think 2 or 3 sets for qualifying, and A Main racers can get one more set. In the old days (3 or 4 years ago), racers would show up with boxes of tires and inserts and waste a ton of time trying out each combination of tire and insert (and nowadays, wheel), or try to bum info from their buddies or other teams.

Anyway, this is definitely considered one of the THE races to watch or at least keep track of. Others include the LRP Touring Car Masters (carpet, in Germany, going on this weekend), the JMRCA Nationals (one of two Japan Nationals) and the Worlds (forget if the TC Worlds is this year, it skips every other year). These are the biggies, the ones which racers from around the world attend. The JMRCA race may not have non-Japanese drivers there but with the amount of talent in Japan it is one to watch, for sure.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:48 PM   #134
Tech Fanatic

double post
Old 04-07-2003, 02:20 AM   #135
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

There was an IFMAR 1/10th electric on-road worlds race in 2002 but it was originally to have been in 2001, postponed after 9/11. I can't recall if they are running the 2003 event as scheduled or if they just moved things back to even years rather than odd years.