R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-07-2007, 05:09 PM   #1
TEM
Tech Regular

Default 3S lipo radio safe? have you tried it?

Has anyone out there put a 3S (3 cell series) lipo in their radio? Do you add anything in between or is the voltage (over 12v when charged) safe for the radio? The voltage meter never went past mid 11's with 8C nicad. What are they rated for?
TEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:20 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to kuzo

I'm using them in 4 Spektrums with no issues and no regulator or anything. If you used 8 Alkaline batteries you'd hit around 12V anyway. I did ask the question before I risked it too but no problems.
kuzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:58 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've used a Thunder Power 3s1320 lipo in my transmitters for the last year. It works fine. The benefits are no self discharge and lighter weight. The big downside is that if you leave the TX on, or it gets turned on in transportation, the battery is garbage (expensive garbage). I connect it in the battery tray area with a Deans Micro, and unplug the battery during transportation.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 07:07 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to rampal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEM
Has anyone out there put a 3S (3 cell series) lipo in their radio? Do you add anything in between or is the voltage (over 12v when charged) safe for the radio? The voltage meter never went past mid 11's with 8C nicad. What are they rated for?
I have a 3000mah lipo from LRP on my M11, and it is absolutely amazing... It has been on for 10 hours and still well above 10v.... the only caution I always follow with Lipo is to chage them outside the radio and directly from the charger, not passing through the radio.

al
rampal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #5
Tech Addict

u have using our Avionics 3S lipos in my radio for over a year now and it has worked flawless I re-peak it up every couple of weeks to get max signal strength.

ORI60005 SLPB 1250mAh 11.1v, 3S-1P

http://www.teamorion-avionics.com/Ba...Li-Po/1250mAh+

larger capacities can be used depending on radio.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlack
u have using our Avionics 3S lipos in my radio for over a year now and it has worked flawless I re-peak it up every couple of weeks to get max signal strength.

ORI60005 SLPB 1250mAh 11.1v, 3S-1P

http://www.teamorion-avionics.com/Ba...Li-Po/1250mAh+

larger capacities can be used depending on radio.
Wow, that's cool. I've been trying to find a decent LiPo for my 3PK for a while, and they're all so hard to find, or expensive.

Anybody know where to get an extra connector that the Futaba radios use for their battery?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
Tech Addict

I took a servo extension cable and hacked the plug if you canlt find a plug in stores.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #8
TEM
Tech Regular

I got a few kokam 3s1p 640mah I can parallel together; 2 of them would make 1280 which should be enough. I just found out last night they are too thick!; gonna have to cut the shrink and re-stack them to fit!.... Thanks everyone!
TEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:12 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge
I've used a Thunder Power 3s1320 lipo in my transmitters for the last year. It works fine. The benefits are no self discharge and lighter weight. The big downside is that if you leave the TX on, or it gets turned on in transportation, the battery is garbage (expensive garbage). I connect it in the battery tray area with a Deans Micro, and unplug the battery during transportation.
same happened to me this past weekend. 2200mah 3s pack down the drain...been using the same 3s pack for over 3 years. its an pack used for electric flight, used it in my KO Mars R then switched it to the Helios.

When not in use, I'm going to disconnect the plug from the radio to the TX pack.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:29 AM   #10
Tech Lord

I've gotten into the habit of putting my LiPo batteries in a Liposack for storage during the week. I guess I could add the extra step of doing the same with my transmitter pack.

MrBlack,

At what voltage would you want to pull that pack from your radio and charge it to ensure you don't discharge it too far?
Old 03-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

So I can wire up just about any 11.1V Lipo in my 3PK as long as it will fit in the battery compartment?

OnRoadColorado.com
Colorado On Road RC Club
SlamMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 11:46 AM   #12
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
MrBlack,

At what voltage would you want to pull that pack from your radio and charge it to ensure you don't discharge it too far?
sorry to hijack MrBlack, but I usually use the 3.3V rule to be on the safe side.... 3S = 9.9v.... the radio has a 9V alarm, so still on the safe side....

....that's why I mention 10v on my first post....
Old 03-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan
So I can wire up just about any 11.1V Lipo in my 3PK as long as it will fit in the battery compartment?
yes... radio energy consumption are on the lower side... any 5C 11.1v pack can do the trick.... for emergencies I also have a 11.1v 1050mah GWS pack and it work perfectly....
Old 03-08-2007, 12:40 PM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use a 2.5Ah lipo in my 3PK. I had it on for 16 hours continuously and the battery still provided good voltage.

You can get a low voltage cutoff for about $6 to prevent an overdischarge condition. I have something similar on mine.
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2776
Old 03-08-2007, 12:55 PM   #15
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger
I use a 2.5Ah lipo in my 3PK. I had it on for 16 hours continuously and the battery still provided good voltage.

You can get a low voltage cutoff for about $6 to prevent an overdischarge condition. I have something similar on mine.
http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=2776
Do you have a source for the battery that you used, or is it something you assembled on your own?

I was hoping to just get the VXR pack since it apparently includes a nice foam holster, but they have disappeared from the planet entirely.