Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3S lipo radio safe? have you tried it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Great info guys I just orderd a VXR LTK-311300 Its good to know the do's and don'ts of li-po

Carl G when you coming back out to Vegas?
Old 03-08-2007, 01:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by carkillaii
Great info guys I just orderd a VXR LTK-311300 Its good to know the do's and don'ts of li-po

Carl G when you coming back out to Vegas?
Where'd you find the VXR for sale?
Old 03-08-2007, 01:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by syndr0me
Where'd you find the VXR for sale?
Syn you have a pm
Old 03-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Tech Regular

wow you guys are using some large capacity packs.
Ive been using a 750mah in my Helios. IIRC its something like 45 mins of run time. IDK it doesnt matter much cuz i just charge it every time or 2 that i race.
The main advantage is that its SUPER lightweight.

PS- I use VXR pack, idk about any foam holster, also no balancing plug. Its just a 3 cell pack with a j plug. it did come with 2 pieces of foam, but its not like foam is hard to find
That said the pack has worked great for me, and i'm sure vxr is a reliable brand.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:32 PM
TEM
Tech Regular

Default Converted!

Tonight I put the cells(2 parallel packs of 3s1p 640mah kokams to make 1280mah) into my radio (R1Pro SPCM) They register at 12.4v on the radio after a charge. The RC transmitters we use for car draw approx 200mah give or take which is well in range of the lipos. Bench test thumbs up!, Track test this weekend!...
Old 03-09-2007, 02:29 AM
Tech Elite

i know ppl that do this and the only problem they seem to have is they forget to charge the thing cuz it takes so long to discharge
i dont bother i just spend the money on tires and fancy soldering irons
Old 03-09-2007, 05:08 AM
TEM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
i know ppl that do this and the only problem they seem to have is they forget to charge the thing cuz it takes so long to discharge
i dont bother i just spend the money on tires and fancy soldering irons
These lipos that fit in the given space can give you anywhere from a few hours to 10 hours of use typical. I would probably just plug it in after each track day or do it in between every few runs to top it off. It's another thing you get into a habit of doing. With the nicad and nimh, I always brought a low current AC adaptor to plug into the radio whenever I feel like it. This is no different. I fly with lipo and I got an orion PE for cars. Not a single lipo ESC nor novak safety but I never had issues (knock on wood). You'd be spending more time with IB's than you would Lipo!...

Fancy soldering irons; you only need 1 and maybe a 2nd if you do special things... but tires... well. it only takes the price of 1 set of tires to get a set of lipos for a radio!
Old 03-09-2007, 11:08 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by syndr0me
I've gotten into the habit of putting my LiPo batteries in a Liposack for storage during the week. I guess I could add the extra step of doing the same with my transmitter pack.

MrBlack,

At what voltage would you want to pull that pack from your radio and charge it to ensure you don't discharge it too far?
I pull my out at around 9.6A because that is when the radio begins to beep.

A 3S LiPo of proper quality should be able to go down to 2.7V per cell or 8.1V per packs without any damage.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:09 AM
Tech Champion

I'm using Muchmore 2100 in 3PK. I play every Sunday. It last about 3 weeks before recharging.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Tech Initiate

So are these batteries a direct fit or do you have to do some modifications?

My EX-10 Helios eats up gobs of power, and the 2500 NiMH last a couple of hours, good for 2-3 race days.

Do you know what would work well with this radio?
Old 03-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by edlan
So are these batteries a direct fit or do you have to do some modifications?

My EX-10 Helios eats up gobs of power, and the 2500 NiMH last a couple of hours, good for 2-3 race days.

Do you know what would work well with this radio?
Yeah, I use a Helios with Thunder Power 3-cell pack and it rocks. I need the light weight and extra juice for long nitro mains and have tested it well. Last big race was Vegas at the end of last year. I started at 12.3V and ran practice in the morning (~15 minutes). I qualified for crap so I ran the C-main (5 min warmup + 20 minutes) and got 2nd for the bump-up. I started the back of the B-main (5 min warmup + 40 minute main) and finished in 4th, missing the bump to the A-main by a lapAfter 1.5 hours of solid running, I was still at 12.1V.

For the setup, I took my case apart and took some small wire and soldered on to a regular male Deans plug. Then I soldered to the 2 leads behind where the stock battery contacts go and reassembled the case. Now I can plug in the Lipo or use a stock battery tray if I still want to. BTW, I don't want to anymore

Don't let the 1100mAH rating fool you. These things are way more efficient than round cells.