Community
Wiki Posts
Search

KMR vs. Pro-Match vs. SMC

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2003, 12:42 PM
KMR
Tech Fanatic

Thank you all for the kind words about our batteries!!

KMR
Old 03-27-2003, 01:26 PM
Tech Addict

Lightbulb Mr KMR

OK, HOW DO YOU RECOMEND WE TAKE CARE OF OUR PACKS??

One Matcher says "don't tray your GP 3300s"
One says NEVER keep your GP 3300s in a discharged state
One says Tray for 20 minutes then immediatly charge
and on and on and on.

What do you say?

I want to keep my packs best I can, right now I am using the promatch method, leave them alone after racing, discharge the night before racing and charge just before racing. Confused we are or at least I am.

Any info will help.
Thank You
David Root
Old 03-27-2003, 01:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

I just received two GP3300 packs from ProMatch. Their care instructions have been updated somewhat. They recommend charging at 5-6 amps. (We have been charging at 5 amps with a .2-.3 millivolt delta peak detection. ) Newer packs will be get warmer during their first charges so monitor how warm they get.

ProMatch recommends discharging with a device that has an auto cut-off. We use an Indi Reactor 30. At this point, if we are finished with the pack for the day, and if it will be a week or so until it is used again, we will put 10-15 minutes of charge into them at 4 amps as a storage charge.

ProMatch also says you can tray the GP3300s before charging them for racing but recommends only doing this once a month, and then being careful not to dead short them. I diverge from ProMatch's recommendation here. I found that my discharge device was leaving too much residual charge in the batts and often my Millenium Pro would show lower than expected mah capacity, even with a low delta peak detect level. I have begun traying my GPs on a Trinity 2 but I am careful to immediately remove them as soon as the lights go out. I have had problems dead shorting some 3000 HVs that I left on the tray too long.

I haven't heard of KMR but I have seen some Pole Position batts. I think who you choose comes down to what your shop sells or can get and word of mouth. When we were ready to try GP3300 batts, I had heard of ProMatch and seen fellow club members use them. I liked the fact that I could order them online directly from them at the same price they were sold for elswhere online. My hobby shop didn't make an effort to get them for me so I do my own shopping.

BTW, my new 6-cell packs came in at 1.167-1.169 at 5 amps. IRs of 14-15.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have been using ProMatch packs since November and i can surely say they are the best i've ever run. My UMH3000's have stayed very punchy and have kept their runtimes up. I just got some GP3300's from them with numbers of 1.168-1.169 and IR of 13 and 14. ProMatch has awesome batts!!

As for SMC, i like their batteries as well. Never tried KMR.
Old 03-27-2003, 08:40 PM
Tech Adept

Keoni, does KMR plan to offer factory team cells with 1.17+ voltage and 390+? How does KMR recommend charging/ discharging/ cycling their 3300 GP's?
Old 03-28-2003, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

I got my promatch packs... I need to start ordering 1 pack at a time. I talked to Jeff and asked for 1.165 and at least 410sec or better and he said that he could do that. Out of the 4 packs I got I got only 1 over 1.165..it was a 1.168-1.169 14-15IR with 402 seconds of runtime. The others are 1.160, 1.162 and 1.164.. which kind of ticks me off but oh well... They are still great packs. For now on I will either buy through my LHS so that I can see what I am buying or buy one pack at a time. Seems that if you buy a lot of packs they send you 1 really good one, 1 average one and 1-2 lower end of the spectrum ones.
Old 03-28-2003, 08:04 AM
Tech Regular

I guess spec is spec, but sometimes I think when ppl starting quoting in mV in singular terms then it can start to sound desperate.
Old 03-30-2003, 02:20 PM
Tech Adept

Keoni any charging/ discharging/ cycling recommendations for the KMR 3300's?
Old 03-30-2003, 09:21 PM
Tech Adept

Just my 2 cents,

When I lived in Arizona I used KMR batteries all the way. Considering that temperature were frick'in hot there my batteries have lasted and I still used them for racing now that I live in california. And this is almost a year later that they are still consistently holding good labeled voltage. Plus KMR had good prices when compared to big names like Trinity and Associated.

Regards,

Dan
Old 03-31-2003, 09:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Mike,

Where's the Jimmy? He's a much nicer guy. hahahaha
At least you know the numbers are true and the performance is outstanding.

Pro-Match Racing all the way. The best just keeps getting better.

Mark
Old 03-31-2003, 10:12 AM
Tech Elite

Mark-

That was the Jimmy in me .

These packs I got are great. I wish I had something like these down at Snowbirds .
Old 03-31-2003, 12:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I have to agree with Webb on the "getting shafted on big orders" from Pro-Match

Whenever I order 4+ packs I get the same "1 good 2 medium 1 dog" pack setup. It usually ranges from x.xx0 to x.xx9. It's like clockwork every order. I'm sure it's their policy to do this which I respect. But in Milkes case where he's on his 20th+ pack I think he should have got at least a little break.

I'll try and do the Hobby Hanger thing, but it seems all the employees keep the goods for themselves
Old 04-08-2003, 11:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Yep definatly KMR all the way, especially if you are running modified.

Keoni's recommendation to me was just charge at 5 amps and discharge till the lights dim! Every run they seem to get better.

I was able to run a full 5 minutes + after having the battery sit on my table for an hour and a half as I rebuilt my car from the ground up. I placed 2nd

ALL HAIL KMR BATTERIES!!
Old 04-09-2003, 12:24 AM
Tech Adept

I use KMR all the way. I race on and off road and KMR's have never failed. Keoni's batteries are the best and I have tried a lot. He is also a great guy and it is nice doing business with someone who is not so big they won't take the time to talk shop. I use only Competition Electronics chargers and KMR's #'s are allways accurate.

Thanks Keoni for all the good batteries at a fair price.

Old 04-09-2003, 11:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Didn't notice where you guy's that are having problems with Pro Match ever got in touch with Jeff after your purchase and told him you were unhappy with what was sent. I've never had this problem happen but I'm quite sure that Jeff's rep means more to him than you might think. Before you accept what you get and think that's the way he wants to do business, call or e-mail him !! No sense making negative comments when you did't give him a chance to correct it. Or better yet...get your LHS to carry Pro Match batts and then you can pick and choose to your hearts content. Good Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.