R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Maxamp 6000mah Experience??? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/151978-maxamp-6000mah-experience.html)

Born2Run 08-03-2007 02:27 PM

bxpitbull im running an XRAY T1KF05 with a MM7700 or an Nosram matrix evolution 2007 and a REEDY NEO 4star.FDR 8.21 for the 4star & 7.51 for the MM7700 both on lipo.The other guys are running on 5 cells NiMh with LPR 3.5 and FDR around 6.5.Im not so fast as the guys with the 3.5 but im fast enough with this setup especialy with the 4star REEDY.I already use on both motors the 3racing headsink without fan and my motor temps after 5 min run is about 170-175 with ambient temperatures from 97-100.So my problem is with my lipos not with the motor temps.I wish i could have 20 mins runtime with this setup.I need a couple of new lipos.Im not going back to NimH.Never again :-).

UN4RACING 08-03-2007 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by bxpitbull (Post 3547512)
Very true. I am trying to trade my truggy for a GTB and/or a 5800 system. Dudes are nibbling, but no one has taken the bait. Once I get a bite, its on. I know I will have some serious fun and mega run times in the milder winds.

CHOMP.:lol:
Is it in the for sale and trade.?

bxpitbull 08-03-2007 02:52 PM

Trust me, at lower voltages, sensorless are not nowhere<---BAD ENGLISH NEAR as efficient as sensored. It is just taking all of the power you can throw at it...and the battery is giving all that its got. With sensored, the motor will take what it needs in moderation, making GOOD USE of the voltage ergo...better run times. I cant put it any plainer than that.

bxpitbull 08-03-2007 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by UN4RACING (Post 3547555)
CHOMP.:lol:
Is it in the for sale and trade.?

yessireebob

kuzo 08-03-2007 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by UN4RACING (Post 3547439)
And keep a fire extinguisher handy.:lol:
Mines better than yours.

Like you say, the difference is like a 50,000 mile tire vs. a 25,000 mile tire.
No one is going to deliberately blow a pack. Yet its going to happen.:nod:
You get what you pay for. When it blows it wont be because its cheap.!

I try to only comment on what I've experienced. The 6000's are a fine battery and I have not had any issues. They are just as good as the Orions as far as performance. The difference is that Orion has taken on the roll of educating any and all who run lipo. Most fear the liability and transparency of there products. Which may some day bite them in the butt. And my self.? As new as the market is I wouldn't want any one to know where the deals are either.

My hats off to Orion and even those other companies like Max Amps that are trying to open the market with lower cost and reliability.
As long as people run around saying cheap is bad and on and on, they are causing just as much resistance as the sub-c suppliers. Its the same as saying theres resistance from with in. I cant believe all the lipo users that are dogging the cheap ones saying its them that are causing the resistance. Let lipo use grow by buying what you can afford at let it all fall into place. If a manufacturer is bad he will fade out just like any other.
I know for fact there are some cheapos out there, and they are ripping up the track just the same as any high dollar ones.
Kinda like a non matched stick pack for 25.00.

I'm starting to agree with that stance. Although I personally feel that lipo would gain acceptance faster if companies started following or improving on Orion's standard. I will not recommend anything less than hardcased high quality packs or run them but I won't speak against them. I just hope the trend will be towards more safety features and cell source disclosure.

Like I've always said, one problem wipes out a lot of gained good will and I hope it continues to be quiet on the fire front.

sportpak 08-03-2007 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by kuzo (Post 3547872)

Like I've always said, one problem wipes out a lot of gained good will and I hope it continues to be quiet on the fire front.

I agree with that statement. The best thing we can do is quiety and confidently lead by example.

Hick 08-07-2007 11:02 AM

Earlier this year I had the opportunity to observe the Pan Car Shoot Out in Phoenix, AZ.

Several of the "go fasters" using "hard cased" Lipo's which were "Shoo Gooed" in place and in addition some had them taped in too! There were some pretty violent wrecks, and the batteries stayed in place.

I have run the soft MaxAmp Lipo's for a little over 3 years in a TC3 (stock chassis), B3, CW Intimadator, CW Sprinter, Pan Car and a Kranzell. Though mostly run on DO, the crashes are no less severe. In practice the Intimadator took a Left Side T-Bone from a Gas Truck. Anyway, the batteries have survived these mishaps and been thrown from the cars (less the TC3 and B3). No problems. My original LiPo's finally gave up the ghost recently, when I hooked up a strings of discharge bulbs to them with no cut off. They just bulged.

The other thing that I have noticed in pictures and at the track. People have been putting weights on top of the batteries or somewhere on the car???

Something is going to happen to any car and any battery when it is placed on the track the only thing we can do is take steps to minimized damage. Though not an answer - but - it wouldn't be to hard to make a hard case out of folded plastic, light guage aluminum or maybe SS.

padailey 08-07-2007 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Born2Run (Post 3547529)
bxpitbull im running an XRAY T1KF05 with a MM7700 or an Nosram matrix evolution 2007 and a REEDY NEO 4star.FDR 8.21 for the 4star & 7.51 for the MM7700 both on lipo.The other guys are running on 5 cells NiMh with LPR 3.5 and FDR around 6.5.Im not so fast as the guys with the 3.5 but im fast enough with this setup especialy with the 4star REEDY.I already use on both motors the 3racing headsink without fan and my motor temps after 5 min run is about 170-175 with ambient temperatures from 97-100.So my problem is with my lipos not with the motor temps.I wish i could have 20 mins runtime with this setup.I need a couple of new lipos.Im not going back to NimH.Never again :-).

From the sounds of it you may have the 15C 6000 packs... of course if they are the 20C this won't make sense. Running that kind of mod motor and ESC combo you could be pulling 85+ amps. The 15C battery is only rated at 90 amp continuous so there is not much room there for error. My guess is there was too much continous amp draw on the battery or you overdischarged it. Overdischarging may not the case with the Mamba though if you have the lipo cutoff set on the MM. If you didn't before make sure you get lipos which will handle the amp load of your application. I have a 15C 6000 that puffed up a little on me and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I've heard several reports of this on the 6000's but have not heard much about the other batteries MaxAmps sells (I have heard no problems with the 20C). User error, poor batch of cells, coincidence... who knows why for sure why these reports are out there.

Born2Run 08-14-2007 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by padailey (Post 3558079)
From the sounds of it you may have the 15C 6000 packs... of course if they are the 20C this won't make sense. Running that kind of mod motor and ESC combo you could be pulling 85+ amps. The 15C battery is only rated at 90 amp continuous so there is not much room there for error. My guess is there was too much continous amp draw on the battery or you overdischarged it. Overdischarging may not the case with the Mamba though if you have the lipo cutoff set on the MM. If you didn't before make sure you get lipos which will handle the amp load of your application. I have a 15C 6000 that puffed up a little on me and I can't for the life of me figure out why. I've heard several reports of this on the 6000's but have not heard much about the other batteries MaxAmps sells (I have heard no problems with the 20C). User error, poor batch of cells, coincidence... who knows why for sure why these reports are out there.

padailey i have the 20c packs,bought from the MaxAmps ebay store for a lower price.In my opinion the reason must be poor batch of cells but as you mentioned who knows for sure!! Anyway ,now i use a couple of Premium Power 4700 20C and so far everything looks OK.Less capacity,runtimes about 12-14 mins but full of power,in the half price of the MaxAmps and with no problems.I wish i have better luck with these packs.