R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-28-2007, 08:45 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Jump'n in with Q's

Didn't see my post so I will try again. Ex 1/12th scale racer from the 80's. Now I'm jumping back into the hobby and have bought a RDX. I have nothing else. The past couple of weeks, I have studied everything from websites to mags to Ebay. As a slotcar racer I am well aware of support equip like tire cutters, comm machines ,chargers, etc and their high cost.
If YOU were starting over today and had nothing, would you go right to LiPo batts, brushless motors, 2.4GHZ systems? While brushless motors are $$$, comm cutters are not cheap.
catcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:48 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Brushless Lipo. Its catching on fast.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
Tech Legend

Default Been racing for ages...

A month ago I had everything stolen from my car , everything ....
Use to have brushless and purchase it right again, along with a Orion Advantage Charger & a couple Carbon 3200`s.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #4
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

2.4 for sure
second wether you go lipo and brushless depends on the track rules.
if they allow them get them. I would just make sure you get a charger that charges both lipos and regular and and pick up 2 (yes that's really all you need) cheap sport 42/4300
if you can run brushless and get a 13.5 or a 4300 but get the GTB or sphere or tekin that can handle both brushed and brushless so if you go to a track that doesn't allow it, your aren't going home.
because the point it to have fun even if you have to work for it a couple odd times.
there is always someone that might cut a comm for you before racing starts and most motors last 2 or 3 runs before the start really falling off
that's what I would do if getting into it now.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:01 PM   #5
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Before pulling the trigger on brushless and LiPo, I would identify the place you plan to race, and see what they allow. Presumably you'll want to race stock starting out, so find out if they allow the Novak 13.5 in their stock class. Also, see how they feel about LiPo, there's still a lot of resistance there.

The cost of brushless is widely overstated, I think. You can get the Novak GTB 13.5 Pro combo at a reasonable price, and that's all you'll need to spend. The "pro" series comes with all the motor updates, so it's ready to go right out of the box.

LiPo is cheaper from the outset. If you decide to go this route with your RDX, you'll most likely want to use the Orion/Peak Carbon LiPo packs. Tower has the Peak version on sale for $75 right now, and you can get by with two of them just fine. Keep in mind that they're a lot lighter, so you're going to be adding a LOT of weight to balance the car, and to make weight in race classes. On my RDX, I run weights under the belt (which also serve to keep the LiPo from sliding into the motor/belt) and some thin ones along the top of the battery.

A lot of radio systems are available with the 2.4Ghz systems now. I most definitely think it's worth the extra money to get this. I personally use the Futaba FAAST system and haven't had a single issue, nor have I read anything but positive remarks about it. The Spektrum system is nice too, though I'd stick with an integrated system if you're buying new.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 09:35 PM   #6
Tech Lord

OK thats it these guys are up staging me.
I'm running the Novak GTB. It comes with a capacitor, fan and all the pre and custom programing you'll ever need and the fan is optional. You can pull it off and run a heat sink fan on the motor and use the terminal for the esc fan to power it. The Novak offers stock to lightning fast mods. I'm in the process of collecting there entire arsenal of motors, 1 of each with sintered rotors.
You will want 3200's for the RDX. That car is a bad boy good choice you'll love it. I 'm running the 4800's platinum packs I'll give up my wife before I give up my Lipo's. Maybe even my Dog? I'm running A Jr Z9000S servo dude gotta check it .06 and all the torq you need its big but its great, Or the Jr 8450 its good to smaller and lighter. I'm running the R1 radio but now days I would buy the Z1, And last but not least. A Duratrax ICE charger. The Orion charger is what I'm going to get some day. With your choice of power supply and your ready to play with very little work to do. Racing was becoming expensive and a lot of work, Brushless lipo is the way it should be as far as expense. So pick a tire and.........
GO FAST AND TRY NOT TO CRASH.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:57 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Fantastic replies! I'll be racing at "the Track". They have a great indoor circuit and the worlds fastest slotcar track too (1.4's around a 155'track!). I hear there is a place in the Richmond VA area ,but I'm not sure if they are still around. As I bring my driving up to the cars ability over the next 6 months, I think more and more people will be jumping on the bandwagon with the batts/motors. Most the seem to be running airtronics or KoPro system.
The other alternative is to run 4 year old stuff and buy it all used at a third of the price. I'm leaning on the Novak GTB/motor and KoPro /spectrum radio with Futaba S9550 servo. I have zero exp with any modern radio and a few suggested the KoPro was $$ overkill. Dozens of wonderful features that most never use. Other rationalise the KoPro is the best and not any big $ jump from 'good ' units. Plus you can buy it without the tx module. If money was no object I would just spend. But, money is not that plentiful. Would you come home with just a chassis and body:~)? BTW if my terms and names are a little off, bear with me. I have learned a lot in two weeks but still have LONG way to go. Finally thanks for the charger/servo /Batt names and specific model numbers. It's a huge help for someone trying to do it right the first time.
catcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 11:21 PM   #8
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcars
Fantastic replies! I'll be racing at "the Track". They have a great indoor circuit and the worlds fastest slotcar track too (1.4's around a 155'track!). I hear there is a place in the Richmond VA area ,but I'm not sure if they are still around. As I bring my driving up to the cars ability over the next 6 months, I think more and more people will be jumping on the bandwagon with the batts/motors. Most the seem to be running airtronics or KoPro system.
The other alternative is to run 4 year old stuff and buy it all used at a third of the price. I'm leaning on the Novak GTB/motor and KoPro /spectrum radio with Futaba S9550 servo. I have zero exp with any modern radio and a few suggested the KoPro was $$ overkill. Dozens of wonderful features that most never use. Other rationalise the KoPro is the best and not any big $ jump from 'good ' units. Plus you can buy it without the tx module. If money was no object I would just spend. But, money is not that plentiful. Would you come home with just a chassis and body:~)? BTW if my terms and names are a little off, bear with me. I have learned a lot in two weeks but still have LONG way to go. Finally thanks for the charger/servo /Batt names and specific model numbers. It's a huge help for someone trying to do it right the first time.
Be sure and get an avatar so we can recognize ya.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #9
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

If you decide to go with LiPo, I strongly recommend the Team Orion Avionics Advanced Flight Charger. It can be had for around $80, and does a fantastic job with LiPo, and can handle NiMH up to 5A which is okay, but maybe not the hottest way possible to charge them. It's a tiny charger that's silent, reliable and easy to use. The Duratrax ICE charger is also a good option, and a more capable NiMH charger along with a bunch of other stuff. It's much bigger though, and does a lot of stuff you might not need. You almost definitely want to use Team Orion's LiPo packs, most likely the "Carbon" edition for the RDX. The LiPo cells they use don't suffer from many of the safety concerns that other cells do. Peak Racing has a lot of the same stuff as Orion with a different sticker on it, and sometimes it's priced better, so keep an eye out for it.

The thing with high end radios is that they all have basically the same features, most of which you'll never use. I'd suggest trying to hold each one in your hand for a while and find the one that feels the best to YOU. Keep in mind that weight and balance is affected by what kind of batteries you use to power it (weight in the base of the radio), and also whether or not it's got an antenna, or if you extend that antenna. The 2.4Ghz/Spektrum systems usually eliminate the need for the metal telescoping antenna, but many people feel it's required to properly balance the radio. If you never used it in the first place, you probably won't notice, but it's something to keep in mind when picking up a radio to judge how it feels in your hand. That should probably be the biggest determining factor, not what everybody else runs. There's no need to be a "me too" when picking your gear, there are plenty of options out there for just about everything, so find what's right for you.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote