Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-28-2007, 01:07 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default new 19t motor from peak

http://www.peakmotors.com/menu/news/ca40/newsid/164
sukh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Interesting that they are advertising the laydown endbell again. An admission perhaps that the V2 endbell, while requiring less maintenance, does not create as much power as a standard design.
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:20 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

is there a similar "revised" Orion Element 19T?
Old 02-28-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge
Interesting that they are advertising the laydown endbell again. An admission perhaps that the V2 endbell, while requiring less maintenance, does not create as much power as a standard design.
the V2 endbell is still listed at the bottom of the page.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:54 PM   #5
Tech Regular

i seem to recall that after the novak race, rick mentioned that they were working on a new 19t motor that was very 'komodo-like' in power band... if this is it then i am looking forward to trying it out
quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 09:03 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge
To be perfetly honest, the V2 endbell version is much more popular in Europe than it is in the U.S. My opinion is that the laydown version is faster and has always been faster. The laydown design produces more power in general, but there are also many more brush compound choices available which gives many more options for racers.

That does not mean the V2 version is slow. Todd Hodge used the V2 Element in many races in California and did very well with it. The main advantage comes from the fact that it runs at lower temperatures. So while it may not be the fastest motor at the beginning of a race, it does not lose its edge compared to standard endbell motors.

With the V2 endbell, you will get more runs between service so for many, this is what they desire so we will offer it as an option on the new Dynasty.

The new motor is very good. I have tested with it and used it in practice at the Snowbirds and it is as fast or faster than any other motor on the market. That said, I think the current Dynasty works very well when geared properly. In TC, you will need at run a pinion five teeth larger (64 pitch) than you would with a Komodo. In my TC5, I gear the Dynasty with a 43 or 44 tooth pinion (2.0 internal with 56.5mm foam tires).
Old 03-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Sweet! So when are these new 19T's going to be available?

-Korey
Old 03-01-2007, 03:55 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Default New Element

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
The new motor is very good. I have tested with it and used it in practice at the Snowbirds and it is as fast or faster than any other motor on the market. That said, I think the current Dynasty works very well when geared properly. In TC, you will need at run a pinion five teeth larger (64 pitch) than you would with a Komodo. In my TC5, I gear the Dynasty with a 43 or 44 tooth pinion (2.0 internal with 56.5mm foam tires).
Hello Rick H.

The gearing recommendation above is for the older laydown element correct? So for the new Element would we gear the same as the Komodo, or do you think it will be different?

Also can you tell us some info on the Q brush? Will this brush work well in Mod brushed motors too, or is mostly a stock/19t performance brush.

Thanks,
Steve Curry
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:03 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Rick,

Had a chance to run one of these . . . . very nice
Old 03-01-2007, 04:22 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman
Hello Rick H.

The gearing recommendation above is for the older laydown element correct? So for the new Element would we gear the same as the Komodo, or do you think it will be different?

Also can you tell us some info on the Q brush? Will this brush work well in Mod brushed motors too, or is mostly a stock/19t performance brush.

Thanks,
Steve Curry
Steve,

The above gearing is for the older Element. The new one will need gear within a tooth or two of the Komodo gearing. The Q brush will work in stock and 19T motors. It is laydown so it will not fit in stand-up hoods. I don't think it would work well anyway.

The motor will be in shops within the next 3-4 weeks.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:53 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Thanks for the reply Rick, do you guys have a new mod brush comming in the near future? Good to see you racing regularly again, I know you're a busy person. Are you comming up to the asphalt Nats in Washington this summer? You gotta run 1/12th scale if you do, that would be cool if you can.

Steve Curry
corallyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:05 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

A Peak Dynasty from a couple of years ago had to have been the fastest 19t I have ever seen. Gear them to the moon and they work great!
Old 03-02-2007, 07:36 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallyman
Thanks for the reply Rick, do you guys have a new mod brush comming in the near future? Good to see you racing regularly again, I know you're a busy person. Are you comming up to the asphalt Nats in Washington this summer? You gotta run 1/12th scale if you do, that would be cool if you can.

Steve Curry
OJ is working on some new compounds butI am not sure what state of development they are in. I will be at the asphalt Nats racing 1/12 and TC.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:43 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
To be perfetly honest, the V2 endbell version is much more popular in Europe than it is in the U.S. My opinion is that the laydown version is faster and has always been faster. The laydown design produces more power in general, but there are also many more brush compound choices available which gives many more options for racers.

That does not mean the V2 version is slow. Todd Hodge used the V2 Element in many races in California and did very well with it. The main advantage comes from the fact that it runs at lower temperatures. So while it may not be the fastest motor at the beginning of a race, it does not lose its edge compared to standard endbell motors.

With the V2 endbell, you will get more runs between service so for many, this is what they desire so we will offer it as an option on the new Dynasty.

for this reason alone I think it will become a popular club motor

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 01:11 PM   #15
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Hey Rick,

The add in the new Xtreme shows the Arm with no extended shaft.....Is that just a prototype arm showed or is that how they will be coming?

Thanks
EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote