R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #31
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Red face 19t Element gearing

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamge
It seems like this PD2 is competing against two dominant motors: KD and $$. It seems like the KD is used by guys willing to cut their motor at least once a day, and $$ is used by guys willing to cut the motor every two months.

Is this another high-maintenance motor?
If this motor is anything like the Element. It seems to be a RPM motor. I geared it around 6.7 FDR and it had a rediculous amount of bottom end. I kept adding one tooth on the pinion and got to about 6.2 FDR, top end was not really what I wanted but the temp started going up so I didn't go any higher. This was with stock brushes and springs.
I changed to purple pos. and Red neg. and put in F line brushes and ran the gearing at 6.0 FDR, the motor was stupid fast up until I cooked the motor. I guess I was never able to find the right gearing for the motor. I would like to try again using XXX brushes with RED, RED springs but not at such an extreme FDR!
Just my 2$
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:43 PM   #32
Tech Apprentice

Default re

I was also running the new motor at the canadian challenge this past weekend. It was plain awesome, both fast and reliable. I found the motor worked great with F brush and 150 degree springs however i did not give the stock brush a fair chance so more testing will have to be done. i do know many people liked them better though. As for rollout i found anywhere between a 29.5-30.4 rollout to be the sweet spot for this motor. This motor has come a long way, great to see it takin on motors that cost twice as much!

TAMIYA- www.tamiya.ca
LRP- www.lrp-electronic.de
Reedy batteries
Protoform- www.pro-lineracing.com
Parma- www.parmapse.com
APS racing- www.aps-racing.net
www.muchhobby.com
TRFwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:30 PM   #33
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFwhitey
I was also running the new motor at the canadian challenge this past weekend. It was plain awesome, both fast and reliable. I found the motor worked great with F brush and 150 degree springs however i did not give the stock brush a fair chance so more testing will have to be done. i do know many people liked them better though. As for rollout i found anywhere between a 29.5-30.4 rollout to be the sweet spot for this motor. This motor has come a long way, great to see it takin on motors that cost twice as much!
What's F brush anyway ? Is this for V2 or normal endbell ?
Sorry for asking 'cause I don;t know any about brush world....
ANy other alternative for brush ?
akuhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 11:58 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

F- Brushes are just a certain kind of bush with a good silver content and serrated face, they come in standup or laydown, but not v2 (I'm pretty sure). There are hundreds of diffent bushes out there for each style of endbell, the Dynasty spec uses a laydown endbell, and comes with Q brushes. Although these Q brushes may be good, I dont know personally, alot of people (myself included) use F brushes, they transfer power to the comm great, and last a long time with proper maintinance of them and the comm. I am in no way trying to be rude or insult you, but you do know what a brush looks like and where it goes on the motor, and if you dont I understand, cause when I made the transition from Nitro to electirc I had to learn all the lingo too.
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:24 AM   #35
Tech Adept

From what I'm reading, it seems this motor is good for small carpet tracks with high FDR's and not good enough for large outdoor asphalt tracks which need low FDR's.
THancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #36
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuhon
Maybe i will use that brush on J-racing race
nino_pohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
from what i was told its like a soft brush like in the old days
but they dont last long,i used them in my kd's and they did seem to give more power but only for 2 runs.
ill get this motor to try it out cuz it dose seem to be fast and hey its cheap.
very niiice
wallyedmonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:37 PM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

cheap?
Tower is pricing it more than the KD and checkpoint. Making it the most expensive 19T?
The original orion element now sells for US$29.90 Ö NOW thatís cheap

i've got the orig orion element and i like it a lot.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:27 PM   #39
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B
F- Brushes are just a certain kind of bush with a good silver content and serrated face, they come in standup or laydown, but not v2 (I'm pretty sure). There are hundreds of diffent bushes out there for each style of endbell, the Dynasty spec uses a laydown endbell, and comes with Q brushes. Although these Q brushes may be good, I dont know personally, alot of people (myself included) use F brushes, they transfer power to the comm great, and last a long time with proper maintinance of them and the comm. I am in no way trying to be rude or insult you, but you do know what a brush looks like and where it goes on the motor, and if you dont I understand, cause when I made the transition from Nitro to electirc I had to learn all the lingo too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallyedmonds
from what i was told its like a soft brush like in the old days
but they dont last long,i used them in my kd's and they did seem to give more power but only for 2 runs.
ill get this motor to try it out cuz it dose seem to be fast and hey its cheap.
very niiice
Thanks Big B and wallyedmonds,

I have an Atlas Sprint Silver Brush ..... it has more silver compound, serrated with eyelet. I used to use it on my 23T stock motor... The motor has more RPM and amp if I use this brush... but the downside is, it wear-off fast. Only last for one race competition and between 2-3 heat, I have to cut the comm ..... So that's F-brush, right ?

Any particular brand (Trinity, Fantom ....) and whats the P/N ?
How about Reedy 767 brushed, is it F-brush, too ?
Old 04-03-2007, 10:29 PM   #40
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyl03
cheap?
Tower is pricing it more than the KD and checkpoint. Making it the most expensive 19T?

I think I'll give this Element (normal endbell) a try, too ....
Old 04-05-2007, 12:47 PM   #41
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyl03
cheap?

Tower tends to inflate prices on new items. Stormer has the motor for $10.00 less.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:04 PM   #42
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to smyka

rick have you tried this motor on carpet yet i know paul c. (from parma) ran one at the cananda race at fast cats in the main and used the stock brushes but what do those compare to in the e,f,xxx, ect catorgory
Old 04-05-2007, 01:15 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyka
rick have you tried this motor on carpet yet i know paul c. (from parma) ran one at the cananda race at fast cats in the main and used the stock brushes but what do those compare to in the e,f,xxx, ect catorgory
I personally have not used the motor on carpet. But the feedback from team drivers and privateers has been very good. The brushes have been used on and off since the the Novak race and it is hard to categorize them. They do not burn so will work anytime you are burning brushes and work particularly well outside.

Our 19T drivers have tried them in Komodos (and I used them in our older Dynasty) and the reaction has been anywhere from OK to very excited. We have also put them in their handout motors without telling them and nobody ever complained :-). Sorry guys!
Old 04-05-2007, 03:16 PM   #44
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks Big B and wallyedmonds,

I have an Atlas Sprint Silver Brush ..... it has more silver compound, serrated with eyelet. I used to use it on my 23T stock motor... The motor has more RPM and amp if I use this brush... but the downside is, it wear-off fast. Only last for one race competition and between 2-3 heat, I have to cut the comm ..... So that's F-brush, right ?

Any particular brand (Trinity, Fantom ....) and whats the P/N ?
How about Reedy 767 brushed, is it F-brush, too ?

The Sprint Brush is not an F Brush, the Sprint Brush has a higher silver content thats why they wear fast. Here are a couple places to get some F brushes (also you may want to get brushes without eyelets or cut the eyelet off and solder the brushes to the endbell, that way you have the best possible connection of power)

http://www.teambrood.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=454 also come in a 10, 25, or 100 pack

http://www.teameamotorsports.com/cat...roducts_id=117 also come in a 5, 10, or 25 pack

http://www.lefthander-rc.com/catalog...roducts_id=121

I personally would go with the ones from TeamBrood or Team EA Motorsports, they both are know for their excellent motor building and products, I havent yet tried lefthander. Hope this helps
Old 04-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #45
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
Tower tends to inflate prices on new items. Stormer has the motor for $10.00 less.

Aint that the truth , Thanks again Rick for your help finding the Peak Performance Apparel, I hope to get it by the MMR Grand Prix up here at SIR in June