R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-01-2007, 06:51 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

chances are your diffs are slipping... for whatever reason, maybe its the aftermarket diff rings? for mod run the steel or lightened steel outdrives and they should be very durable... ive run the same composite diffs in my carpet car 19T for months now without a rebuild, and they are still silky smooth...
Old 03-01-2007, 10:49 PM   #17
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to TC3guypgould

ok so the best bet is to get a complete set of front and rear diff housings and all .... and then see what happens... just factory...but i don't know if my Mamba motor will smoke them or not.....if so then i am going TC5 and i have a TT-01 that i'll just replace .......i don't understand the TC3 Diff prob.....can't make it work right......and it's driving me [email protected]@
TC3guypgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Sean R

I could never get a tc3 diff to work well without aluminum outdrives with d-rings. The round diff rings would always spin on the outdrives. Hope this helps.
Sean R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 06:58 PM   #19
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBird-sr
I could never get a tc3 diff to work well without aluminum outdrives with d-rings. The round diff rings would always spin on the outdrives. Hope this helps.
Aren't people gluing the rings? The owners manual shows diff lube between the ring and the out drive. Unless of coarse they are the D-ring.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:09 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Sean R

Any glue behind the ring/washer will cause the ring to sit cocked and provide a very poor diff feel.
Sean R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 07:16 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

I used to use the steel outdrives with D-rings...a little dremel action.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:58 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Run the Nitro TC3 diffs and outdrives. This is the only thing I have seen work with my Novak 4.5 brushless. It is about a $100 upgrade but with the exception of a few folks who seem able to run the plastic ones, this is the only way I have seen to work. Even then you may ruin some tranny gears now and then, but at least you won't melt the diffs like cheese on a pizza.
swopemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 11:16 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Use aluminum outdrives for the rear diff and steel outdrives for the front diff. You will be able to run stock, 19T, and Mod with this setup.

It helps to make a jig that you can set your diffs into and make sure they are locked down when you build them (a piece of wood with two nails works awesome). As any TC3 driver would tell you that its tradition to rebuild the diffs every race week if you are going to run 19t or mod. You can do a quick rebuild wich consists of: disassembly, sand the diff rings with 600 paper using a wax on wax off method to remove any grooves, clean all the balls inlcuding the thrust balls and washers, wash your gear out using dawn dish soap and a tooth brush to get all the dirt and grease out, clean the bearings- then rebuild and test using the jig you have made. Set each outdrive slot into the nails on the board and try to spin the gear. If the gear still slips tighten the diff little bits untill you have it locked down and it still feels smooth. (one problem guys do is they overtighten the diff first and this makes it hard to keep it locked if you have to loosen it!). I use this method still to this day and my diffs are considered "butter sauce"!!

digs