R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-27-2007, 12:33 PM   #16
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Do you have see ORION onsale EP in market ?
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:41 PM   #17
APO
Tech Rookie

No. I can't find it from their website. I only see Orion team use IB for TITC and win. Who use EP and win ??
APO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:31 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

EP 4200 same IB4200SHV Level only !
& if not keep to charge under 1.05V will lose many Mah !
the EP life very short !
RC MARKET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 06:47 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (92%+)
Send a message via AIM to wallstreet

Testing from guys in my area have shown the ep cells to be more durable than the ib cells . Ep cells powered 5 of the 10 cars in the stock a main at the roar carpet nats this weekend.

From the cells i have seen the ep cells have equal voltages to the ib wc cells out right now, but have a lower ir than that of the very best of the wc batches.
wallstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:16 PM   #20
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC MARKET
EP 4200 same IB4200SHV Level only !
& if not keep to charge under 1.05V will lose many Mah !
the EP life very short !
I love the way this guy writes.
Ok I heard That if you took 2 boxes of bulk batteries the heaviest box would have the best batteries? And just to really lite a fire I think the GP's are the best. For longjevity and punch, very hearty batteries.
How much weight are we talking about. It seems everyone is right?
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:27 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

In the UK
the IB`s are still going strong (usage)
they are fragile ,but apparently IB are concertrating on reliability now & making the cells stronger internelly for longer life as opposed tro making more powerfull batts

GP46`s ??? no one knows yet over here ....no doubt it be `they are fantastic` ...`you must buy these to compete` & all the other garbage

EP cells ,...only popular in the lower ranks coz on pricing , no known good results yet & and since EP have changed the cell again ,racers will see then as another cell manufacture trying to make money ,no good race results

all IB`s

li-po.....well ?? no chance to get in a BRCA race,even clubs shy away from it till they see it in Black & White in BRCA hand book & backed by BRCA ,you have to contact club first to see if your allowed

1)) thing ,running the orion/trakpower lipo will & does save you sheds load of money & TIME)
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Hey Guys - We just got back from the 2007 ROAR Carpet Nationals. 5 Out of the 10 drivers in the A Main of Stock Touring were using the EP4200. These cells have comparable voltage with the IB4200 WC. However, there was not a single dead cell all weekend. I have test packs that have 25+ runs on them with not a single dead cell. The test packs are still taking 4500+ Mahr charge everytime. The major difference I notice is the EP4200 has more power for the first minute to minute and a half than the IB4200. The IB and EP cells weigh exactly the same, 69 grams per cell. The EP has a bit smaller dimensions than the IB. I beleive its 1mm shorter and .5mm less diamameter.

Thanks - Brad
BJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 10:49 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Let's hear from the other side here.... IB won EVERYTHING at the ROAR Nats. Every winner of every class. Don't forget to mention that the EP cells self-discharge at an alarming rate. Each cell has certain strengths and weaknesses, however if you are racing competitively, the IB's have the winning pedigree to back up the hype.
Jack Rimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 11:51 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Jack - I am not going to get into an arguement over the batteries. I think the IB cell is a good cell, however like you said every cell has advantages and disadvantages. I would like to see the IB improve on its durability. As far as dominating the Nats, you are correct IB did win every class, but there were only 10 total drivers at the Nats using the EP's. Every class had EP batteries in the A-main exept for 1/12th mod and Touring mod. As far as self discharging, we have not seen a single EP cell in the past two monts self discharge. Since October the IB's have gotten progressively worse with self discharging problems. I hope IB can fix this issue.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:29 PM   #25
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

So let me get this straight....the performance is the same and these cells dont self destruct the way that ib's do!!

Brad you better stop talking... and start matching cause your gonna sell a ton of the new EP cells!!
Josh Hohnstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 01:43 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Where can you get the EP cells??? Im looking for a few new packs for 4-cell Mod at the roar oval nats and I'd like to give these a shot.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:02 PM   #27
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I dunno about self destruct......I talked to all the guys who ran the br00d ib4200 this weekend.....no dead cells....everything went fine....trav used two packs all weekend with no problems in stock....

I guess what it boils down to, is everyone is so concerned about durability.....I have multiple packs that have been not ran for months, charge them up and they work fine...

If you are expecting your top packs to stay tip to from big race to big race, yer nuts.....cause everyone in general buys new packs anyways....

SMC and Brood drivers get 1 new pack for stock and 1 new pack 19t, 2 for mod at any big race......at triple a events, we do an extra pack each because of the short duration between charges.....

I have tested the EP cell.....they are not bad, but voltage wise, they seem a bit off, run time is lower.....IR seems to be the same and sometimes lower, which isn't that big of deal at this point, as its so low at this point, its just burning up the motors faster......at some point you reach what we call diminishing returns....

Later EddieO
Old 03-12-2007, 02:08 PM   #28
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO
I dunno about self destruct......I talked to all the guys who ran the br00d ib4200 this weekend.....no dead cells....everything went fine....trav used two packs all weekend with no problems in stock....

I guess what it boils down to, is everyone is so concerned about durability.....I have multiple packs that have been not ran for months, charge them up and they work fine...

If you are expecting your top packs to stay tip to from big race to big race, yer nuts.....cause everyone in general buys new packs anyways....

SMC and Brood drivers get 1 new pack for stock and 1 new pack 19t, 2 for mod at any big race......at triple a events, we do an extra pack each because of the short duration between charges.....

I have tested the EP cell.....they are not bad, but voltage wise, they seem a bit off, run time is lower.....IR seems to be the same and sometimes lower, which isn't that big of deal at this point, as its so low at this point, its just burning up the motors faster......at some point you reach what we call diminishing returns....

Later EddieO
That was a nice level-headed response. Ths thread is not ment to bash each cell back and forth it is to discuss the pro's and con's of them. Nice response EddieO.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #29
Tech Regular

EddieO - The latest batch of EP cells we matched had the same voltage as the latest IB cells. The runtime was a little higher with the EP's and the IR was actually a little lower than the IB's.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:34 PM   #30
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have samples of what is supposedly the most current version of the cell....

What I have noticed when we have tested the EP is similar to what happened when we tested the orginal 3600/3800 cells from IB.....the numbers said they were higher, but on the track the cell certainly was not up to par with the GP equal....but then, IB did something to the cell and suddenly they were blowing everything away on the track.

All I care about is winning......and if these cells would me in the winning circle, then I would switch, but at this point, I don't see the reason to switch just to save $10 and possibly a spot on the podium...

The main problem with IB cells is people think they are a GP cell.....and attempt to care for them the same way. Every new cell that has ever come out has had it regimen of how to care for them, rarely is it the same as the next cell.....care for your IB likes an IB.....and it will last you just fine.

So while I am not saying don't buy them, I just don't see the huge need to jump on the EP bandwagon yet......

Later EddieO