R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-24-2007, 10:22 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to oMONSTERo Send a message via Yahoo to oMONSTERo
Default Toe In vs Toe Out

This is about the Street Sport Im gonna keep for myself. I put Bearings/Shims on all 4 Corners, moved the bottom rear shock ends inward and removed all spring spacers, Sprayed the Stinger out and Lubed the Bushings, put a 22t Pinion on, removed Hubcaps, cut a 1/2 inch off the bottom of the stock body and lowered it accordingly, charged up a couple VERY rough looking Tower 1500mah, and hit the road. Quite impressive.

I noticed in Stock form that the steering is a liitle "twichy". Now at the higher speeds, on my road (slag gravel pavment) its controllable, but could be better. So, toe in, or toe out, to, I guess, make my steering less responsive...maybe. Any thoughts a ppreciated.

We'll be tweaking my Buddies SS tomorrow in the same manner, but with a 17x2 Reedy Flashpoint and GP3300 side x sides with Deans.
oMONSTERo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:02 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Where is your toe at now? Toe in will generally calm the car down and make it more stable in the straightaway but will create a slight push on corner entry. Try 0 degrees of toe and see if you like that, then make your adjustments from there.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:34 AM   #3
Tech Regular

Default Makes sense

Yeah, its a little bit "out". They were all about the same, but the guy I got them from was NOT worried about upgrading anything. So I would guess they are at about Stock Setting, they all look the same. Im going out in a few minutes to mess with it again, and begin soupin up my Buds.

Pretty Cool Car!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 07:57 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Default Tracking

We experimented with Stock Slicks (all we have at present), New and Worn. New Tires have very little ground contact because of the shape, and are "harder/firmer". The Worn Tires were softer, with more contact surface, because the "roundness" had worn "flat".

Ok, the only way we could get any high speed stability was to use New Stock Front Tires. Thats odd, because I believe a lot of our problem is the surface. Its an old road, paved with tar and those really sharp little grey jagged rocks. Looks like it would be pretty high grip, but seems to be fairly bumpy at really slow speeds. Wouldnt that seem to favor the softer, "wider track" of the Worn Tires to absorb the bumps? I would think the harder tires would PROMOTE bouncing, but its VERY obviously better with them.

How bout Springs? Will 4-Tec springs work on the SS?