R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-24-2007, 07:04 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Angry ESC ???

I have bene the electric onroad thing for over a year now.. I have only used tekin speed control's. Only because becasue he lives (Tekin HQ ) is local.
In the last 3 months i have burned up 3 g-11 pro. with a 19t CP motors.

I have made a decision today not to ever buy a tekin product again.

My question is this. What speed control would you all suggest i get, and can you give a reason why you suggest it. I was told i should get a novak Novak GTB Programmable Brushless/Brush ESC or the Novak GTX Programmable ESC.
Is there any other choices i should consider besides Novak. And deffinentlly not TEKIN. ( Tekin stickers are being pulled off my cars and tool box)

Thank you.
FT_Wacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:30 PM   #2
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'm running the GTB. It comes with the capacitor and the fan. Its a reputable company with reliable warranty support and tech support. Mines about a year old and I've had no trouble with it. And to top it off you can run 13.5 thru. 3.5.
As far as I know any of there motors will work on it, and brushless has a lot of perks more run time and less maintenance. And if the brushed motors are your thing the GTB has that covered as well. You can run brushed motors on it to.
All due respect Tekin is a good speedo to. I used to run them years ago. I also ran LRP. But the GTB has all the whistles and bells right out of the box. Money better spent On the GTB in my opinion. The fan is optional you can take it off very easy. Good luck a person can get a headache deciding on this stuff.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:08 AM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to steve a. Send a message via MSN to steve a.

If you want all out programablity check out castle creations mamba max set-up. I love mine but you should see what it can to the drive shaft when you hit the board.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:25 AM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT_Wacked
I have bene the electric onroad thing for over a year now.. I have only used tekin speed control's. Only because becasue he lives (Tekin HQ ) is local.
In the last 3 months i have burned up 3 g-11 pro. with a 19t CP motors.

I have made a decision today not to ever buy a tekin product again.

My question is this. What speed control would you all suggest i get, and can you give a reason why you suggest it. I was told i should get a novak Novak GTB Programmable Brushless/Brush ESC or the Novak GTX Programmable ESC.
Is there any other choices i should consider besides Novak. And deffinentlly not TEKIN. ( Tekin stickers are being pulled off my cars and tool box)

Thank you.
The bigger question is what did you do to burn up 3 tekins? and did you return them for repair??

I've NEVER heard of anyone burning up a Tekin with only a 19T motor

I'd try to identify what the cause of the burn out before spending more $$ on any ESC - since something in my gut is telling me you might make them go *poof*
Old 02-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #5
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_bojar
The bigger question is what did you do to burn up 3 tekins? and did you return them for repair??

If i knew what was causing the issue i wouldnt have a problem.

They are pretty simple s far as istallation go's. It could be number of things going wrong.

I list my Car

Xray t2
CH 19 t I do have other motors Spec motor, and CP mod motors 10t 6t
Airtronics servo
Airtronics radio M-11
Spectrum Modual
Sprectrum Receiver.

Batteries i used yesterday were brand new SMC Batteries 4200 charged to the manufacture recond. on a side note i had a pack exploid yesterday as well ( new pack)

I started the day with 4 brand new 4200 packs. i ran all the packs out. i discharge the packs and then through them on the trey to equalize. And charge them at 6 volts with a Ice charger.

I am not sure of the term but on all of my eSC when they burn, the "things" fell out of the bottom of the ESC. I am not a expert racer, I am a racer who shows up and wants to get track time and be competitive at the local level.

Sorry i am not intending to Bash Tekin I happen to Know Jim personally he is local. Jim and his son does come and race at our carpet track. Jim and his son are pretty fast his son is really cool. I am unsure if i want to continue to buy and or repair tekin ESC. When other companies appear they dont have this issue.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:38 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Suggestions:
  • What was your gearing?
  • Have you tried other motors?
  • Not to sound stupid or anything like that, what to those "things" look like?
  • Are your correctly installing your wiring prior to manufactures recommened specs?

If you’re "frying" your speedo it should come off smelling like dead fish. If you start to smell that, it's a good indication you have fried your speedo. I bet it would cost 1/2-3/4 retail of another speed control if you were to send it too Tekin, wait a few weeks and have them take a look at it and tell you what your are frying on each speedo and have them recommend ways to not have this problem happen again. That's logic, however if your in the market for a new speedo, Ko Propo, Novak and LRP are all great speedos. There are a few smaller companies that also put out decent speed controls as well. Logically speaking it might be cost effective to have the one(s) repair already and retry them. Waste case scenario you can sell them on here for about 3/4 retail if they are in working condition.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #7
Tech Initiate

Thanks for your replys.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #8
Tech Initiate

[QUOTE=Team Speedy]
Suggestions:
  • What was your gearing?
  • Have you tried other motors?
  • Not to sound stupid or anything like that, what to those "things" look like?
  • Are your correctly installing your wiring prior to manufactures recommened specs?

[QUOTE]

1. gearing on this T2 is 64 pitch 120 with either a 24 to 28 pinnion
2. I have use CP 19t "money" , Reedy spec , Cp Mod
3. the things are fets.
4. I run a wire from the Batterie neg to the spedo batterie neg. and the spedo neg to the motor and the postive from the spedo to the motor. I cut a notch in the sheathing around the Positive and i solder a wire and cover with heat shrink and run that wire to the batterie.
Yes i believe so.

Apparently i needed to be using the Cap on the tekin. Brian a mod from tekin forum told me that with the new batteries putting out so much voltage it is needed. So i guess it is my fault.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:10 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to $rusty$ Send a message via MSN to $rusty$

Ya, had the same thing happen to my G-11 pro. With a stock motor . Was only like $40 for a brand new looking one. I'm using a cap on all my ESC nows .

thercbarn.com
$rusty$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:18 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to loopedout

if you do buy novak, get one thats at least six months old, every single novak brushless that has been bought at my lhs in the last couple of months has been bad or gone bad, ive had two SS+'s go bad and one GTB. just this sat night while racing including myself 5 new novaks bit the dust. my old SS works like a charm and everyone else that is using novaks brushless that are at least six months old are having no problems, other than a couple of smoked gtbs due to overgearing and thermaling them to death. So far most of us have switched to the LRP sphere both versions with no issues.
THD Custom R/C Products/Team Holy Rollers/Team Terribles
loopedout is offline   Reply With Quote