R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-02-2007, 08:11 AM   #31
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Z.Hallett

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock
2. Xray T2R (if they ever would release it to the American public)
stormer has them instock right now. check them out at stormerhobbies.com

-Zac
Z.Hallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:32 AM   #32
Tech Adept

Yanked the motor on the Himoto. The motor was tight in the motor brace...so tight that it was nearly impossible to judge the clearance between the pinion and spur...and impossible to adjust it. I'll have to dremel a little out of the motor slot.

Drivetrain feels pretty good. It isn't TC3 smooth...but not tight and binding. The motor appears to be the issue. Free spinning it never really cranks up. At slow speeds it pulses a little bit. It appears that it might just be running on one brush....or mostly on one brush. Power way down. I'm guessing the pulses are the second brush kicking in and out. It is just a cheap stamped can motor but it would have been nice if it had worked. For grins I'll try Himoto's service.

In the meantime, I'm going to dig out a stock motor I have around hear somewhere and give that a try.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 08:35 AM   #33
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.Hallett
stormer has them instock right now. check them out at stormerhobbies.com

-Zac
Really....T2R still "on order" on their webpage.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:16 PM   #34
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Z.Hallett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster
Really....T2R still "on order" on their webpage.
you could always contact AB Charles in Pa. or you could also try the rc shack. the shack carries pretty much every xray to date.

-Zac
Z.Hallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:48 PM   #35
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Yanked the motor on the Himoto. The motor was tight in the motor brace...so tight that it was nearly impossible to judge the clearance between the pinion and spur...and impossible to adjust it. I'll have to dremel a little out of the motor slot.

Drivetrain feels pretty good. It isn't TC3 smooth...but not tight and binding. The motor appears to be the issue. Free spinning it never really cranks up. At slow speeds it pulses a little bit. It appears that it might just be running on one brush....or mostly on one brush. Power way down. I'm guessing the pulses are the second brush kicking in and out. It is just a cheap stamped can motor but it would have been nice if it had worked. For grins I'll try Himoto's service.

In the meantime, I'm going to dig out a stock motor I have around hear somewhere and give that a try.
Keep us updated, I'm curious to hear how things go. If it's something as simple as gear mesh or a junky motor, that's a real shame. They've got the basis for a real touring car there (junky, but real). It sounds like a tiny bit more effort would have gone a long way.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #36
Tech Adept

Hotbodies Cyclone S.
Wayne1one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 08:17 PM   #37
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

get the HB cyclone S RTR.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:49 AM   #38
Tech Adept

Quote:
Sure does...there is not www.selectiverc.com on the web anymore. Wonder if these guys took over...or were the manufacturer for Selective and decided to go it alone when Selective folded.

Did some more research and found this was some Chinese company that provides this car to several retailers.

Still diagnosing why mine won't run....very slow...cogging.

By the way, it is a little porky. Weighed in at 1590 grams with the stock electronics, battery and motor.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:43 PM   #39
Tech Adept

Spent a couple hours fiddling with the Himoto today. My conclusion is the gearing is way to high for the stock ESC and motor and battery. The drivetrain friction is pretty high too....but it does roll a couple feet when you push it without the motor...so it isn't binding.

I started by swapping parts out that I had around. First I substituted the "HiSpeed Electron HS-119" stock ESC for a cheap Duratrax "Sprint." The stock ESC doesn't even have a heat sink! The car actually ran with the Sprint...but it was slow and hard accelerations caused thermal shutdowns of the ESC. Interestingly, it seems faster in reverse than forward (motor timing?)

Next I swapped out the "HighSpeed SuperMotor" for a cheap 20T Duratrax "Photon Speed." The thermals grew worse. Anything more than 1/8th throttle and it would die. I guess the stock motor is a higher turn.

I measured the pinion...it is a 26 tooth. The spur looks to be about a 60 tooth. I rooted around in my parts drawer for a compatible pinion. It appears to be a 48pitch metric...not positive...but the teeth line up best with that one. Unfortunately, because of the thickness of the center drive shaft and the spur gear, it doesn't look like I can go down much on the pinion without the motor rubbing on the driveshaft....maybe 2-4 teeth. Really need a larger spur (though there is only about 3-4mm between the spur and the chassis.) I only had a 13T. Also not sure if Himoto has a larger spur...or if some other brand would be compatible.

This thing would probably work OK with a considerably more powerful ESC and better batteries. I don't want to dump to much more into it but I might try the Duratrax Intelispeed 16T Mild-Mod that is rated about 50% higher and a 22T pinion....or I may just look at it as spilled milk...lesson learned...etc.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:32 PM   #40
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to XrayMichaelT2

TC3 or TC4. Got both for sale if u want one. email me [email protected]
XX-4
Promarch 4200's, Orion carbon 3200
Duratrax ICE
Novak GTB 13.5
www.Michianarc.com
www.embassyraceway.com