Originally Posted by ff01
i like your suggestion AdrianM
me too
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:09 AM   #62
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallyrc

adrian, i agree with all that except i say just ditch the "stock" class and it can be the 540 silver can.. my lineup is:

silver can (stock, as it was intended...)
The funny thing about "stock" is no one buys these things that way. Also, you always got to wonder how "stock" the guys is next to you. How 'bout only run stock with "hand-out" stock motors as part of the fee.

Eventually, stock has got to get to brushless.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:40 PM   #63
Tech Adept

I totally agree with adrian m. unfortunately in the uk BL is still quite unusual and not entirely trusted (ps i love mine - put sintered rotor in my 4.5 this weekend and scared myself stupid) lipo even more so. i think we could draw a hell a lot of nitro boys in the winter if we could do 10-15 minute finals (BL and LIPO).
Carpetwars/Sidcup RCC/Maritime Racing/7oaksmcc
Racingbod85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 03:29 PM   #64
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Okay thats USA sorted
but that won`t help us running 13.5 b/less
1)250.00 ea (27t & lrp speedo F1 70.00 for both
2) doesn`t fit everycar
3) also they have a `PRO` version 13.5 out now ,when will it stop

+ So many racers have money in brushed motors in there kit it will cost them a small fortune

Like Bod says
b/less is not to popular at the mo & lipo is not either ,si the UK are still brushed motor & c-cells lovers ,with loads of guy`s invested there Hard earned cash in it

silvercan stock won`t go
there was so much cheating going on with these ,this is why the rebuildable 27t came out ,so EVERYONE can look after there own motor & supposedly leveled the playing field

Adrain M
over here we do have different weights & cell count & legal motor list from one area to another & from one series to another too
just Mad at the Mo!!enough to shoot your self some times
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:16 AM   #65
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
After all that has been discussed over the last few months I hace come to the conclusion than all that is going on now is a period of change.

Racers have too many options Lipo, 4/5/6 Nimh, BL motors (13.5,4300,5800, Mod), BR motors. Everyone want to run something diffrent and no one is willing to compromise and say OK...lets all run XY and Z.

We need to setup some basic guidelines so we can get people to run together.

So this is what I suggest:

540 Sliver Can/LiPo low cost entry level class.

13.5BL/LiPo should be the new Stock class.

10.5BL (4300)/LiPo should be the Spec Mod class (Like 19T).

Open Mod is Open motor/LiPo. Any Wind, Any Motor (Mamba's,LRP,Novak, etc.) If its is 36mm in diameter or less and 54mm long or less its legal for Open Mod.

Yes, I left out 27T and 19T...sorry. BL motors are better for low cost racing and less of a headache for novices to keep running. If you want cheap run 540. If you want to go faster sell you Motor Break in Box, Comm lathe and get a BL system.
Adrian I like the path your on. How about this?
540 silver can.
13.5 stock.
4300 pro stock.
5800 speck modified.
And the rest open Modified.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:32 AM   #66
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Sorry Mr. Jolly I know thats off pace of your thread.
I'm not up on the 5 cell stuff. I was under the impression that it was an attempt to get the faster more seasoned racers to bump up a class. Hope you guys get it all figured out. Some times taking on this stuff can get you down so hang tuff.
So don't go shooting yourself. You bring up some good topics.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:32 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

I took a chance in starting a thread like this

just seems we have loads of chiefs & not enough indians when it comes to direction & decision making
and we umpty dumpty up & down playing fields with re;;to class`s,cell count & weight ,
Old 02-26-2007, 02:36 AM   #68
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR JOLLY

just seems we have loads of chiefs & not enough indians when it comes to direction & decision making
Very true. But we need good Chiefs in the first place.... And,....do we have that? Im sceptic as hell I see a lot of pissing contest from above
Anders Myrberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 08:36 AM   #69
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders Myrberg
Very true. But we need good Chiefs in the first place.... And,....do we have that? Im sceptic as hell I see a lot of pissing contest from above
i thought is was just me being sceptic

and they usually piss down on us down here in that contest
Old 02-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #70
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
After all that has been discussed over the last few months I hace come to the conclusion than all that is going on now is a period of change.

Racers have too many options Lipo, 4/5/6 Nimh, BL motors (13.5,4300,5800, Mod), BR motors. Everyone want to run something diffrent and no one is willing to compromise and say OK...lets all run XY and Z.

We need to setup some basic guidelines so we can get people to run together.

So this is what I suggest:

540 Sliver Can/LiPo low cost entry level class.

13.5BL/LiPo should be the new Stock class.

10.5BL (4300)/LiPo should be the Spec Mod class (Like 19T).

Open Mod is Open motor/LiPo. Any Wind, Any Motor (Mamba's,LRP,Novak, etc.) If its is 36mm in diameter or less and 54mm long or less its legal for Open Mod.

Yes, I left out 27T and 19T...sorry. BL motors are better for low cost racing and less of a headache for novices to keep running. If you want cheap run 540. If you want to go faster sell you Motor Break in Box, Comm lathe and get a BL system.
Lead us to the promised land, Adrian. Post of the year so far.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #71
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

UN4 - I like the 5800 motors but with sintered rotors they are so close to Mod Lap times that you could run them in Open mod.

Bob Stormer made a great point a few threads ago about classes needing to be 2 laps apart in quailfiying order.

So...

540 turns 23 lps
Stock turns 25 laps
Spec Mod turns 27 laps
Mod turns 29 laps

This way you have a progression from one to another class so racers can experience a reasonable increase in power and speed at each level. Then they can master that power and move up again if they want to.

I think we need to discuss this and get it really well thought out. Then we can make a formal Proposal to ROAR and see if we can make this happen for 2008.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:19 AM   #72
Tech Elite

Racing in Stock in the UK at WLRC we now have a few drivers running brushless and brushed, brushless seems good until you get water from the sky.
Everyone who has run them so far has had problems with water ingress.
They now run brushed in wet conditions and brushless in the dry, remember, most UK clubs are outdoors (where racing should be )

Will I move to 13.5, no, but mainly because this will be my last year of Stock before moving up.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:56 PM   #73
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Is the intention of the 540 class to keep it cheap and simple, to keep it slow, or both? Has anybody experimented with the 18.5 to see if it's a viable brushless option to a 540, or does that completely kill the spirit of the whole thing?
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:01 PM   #74
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Is the intention of the 540 class to keep it cheap and simple, to keep it slow, or both? Has anybody experimented with the 18.5 to see if it's a viable brushless option to a 540, or does that completely kill the spirit of the whole thing?
Now there's an idea. The minis that Charlie, Neal and I have been running are running the silvercans and if I can find a way to get a brushless ESC in the car I might have to try that though not sure what that'll do to the weight balance of the car. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if I was actually "faster"...they'd still beat me by a lap or more.
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 03:24 PM   #75
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
The problem is that slower BL motors aren't a lot less expensive than full blown mod BL motors.

We need to have a low cost low speed entry level class for guys to start out with so they can learn to control their cars. A 540 motor is cheap and very inexpensive speed contrils can run it. Thats a win-win for guys starting out.

How many time have you been asked how much your rig costs at a race only to get a look of shock and dismay from the kid (or parent) asking you.

The 540 LiPo class is there to get guys hooked on racing at a speed that increase the changes of sucess. Once they know that R/C racing is for them they can take the nest step and invest in a faster, more expensive power system.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote