R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2007, 07:21 AM   #871
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,999
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODEN View Post
That's great to see the speed has increased (we all want to go faster) it
seems that with the removal of one cell, the power has become more user
friendly less wheel spin more forward motion!

I also saw more guys dump too Over all people seemed to go faster but the battery wars will begin again. Regular racers don't get the killer packs that the factory guys do and to see a few of them dump is scary
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:42 AM   #872
Tech Elite
 
Brandon Melton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NC
Posts: 2,506
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
I also saw more guys dump too Over all people seemed to go faster but the battery wars will begin again. Regular racers don't get the killer packs that the factory guys do and to see a few of them dump is scary
Well, you have to consider also that those guys are in heads up racing. No matter how good the driver, I'm sure there's a tendancy to use a little more in the heat of battle. I used a 3.5 at this race and only got soft on the last lap one time, which was in the last practice after I ran the same pack 7 times over 2 days. To say they have packs superior to the average guy is kinda outdated. Great packs, yes, but not leaps better than what non paid drivers get. I don't think you have to race a fresh pack each time out. I was making 5 mins no problem on packs that started fresh and had 4 runs on it by end of weekend. I think adrenaline caused some of the dumping of the factory guys.
Brandon Melton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #873
Shop Owner
 
nnick's Avatar
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Cheapest prices in Europe ;)
Posts: 1,342
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick
Default

Battery wars never ended actually, it only became "less" important.

Regarding speed, batteries and motors have way more power/ are faster than before hence with 5 cell cars are faster than previously with 6cells. Of course current batteries/motors will fly with 6cells BUT esc will blow and this is the reason we use 5cells
__________________
Nikolakopoulos Nick
RC RING

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:58 AM   #874
PW
Tech Elite
 
PW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Groveland, FL
Posts: 4,396
Send a message via AIM to PW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
Regular racers don't get the killer packs that the factory guys do and to see a few of them dump is scary
Those days are pretty much over. The only advantage the team drivers have is fresh sticks for the big events.

The only guys I saw dumping at the Reedy were always the same 2 or 3 guys. I talked with one of them and he said it had nothing to do with his batteries, but with their speedo/motor package
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:09 AM   #875
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Arizona
Posts: 466
Send a message via AIM to kyle478
Default

I would say 50% of the people on the track at the same time as me. fell off the pace with 30 seconds to go. I was running 6 cells and coming off with 60 seconds left
kyle478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #876
Tech Elite
 
bigb11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: POUGHKEEPSIE,NY
Posts: 3,140
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to bigb11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Boomer View Post
I posted a slide show with music Here (Scroll down a little)

Some were in the video but there some new ones.

Boomer


Higher REZ
Boomer, video was SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bigb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #877
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,999
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Melton View Post
Well, you have to consider also that those guys are in heads up racing. No matter how good the driver, I'm sure there's a tendancy to use a little more in the heat of battle. I used a 3.5 at this race and only got soft on the last lap one time, which was in the last practice after I ran the same pack 7 times over 2 days. To say they have packs superior to the average guy is kinda outdated. Great packs, yes, but not leaps better than what non paid drivers get. I don't think you have to race a fresh pack each time out. I was making 5 mins no problem on packs that started fresh and had 4 runs on it by end of weekend. I think adrenaline caused some of the dumping of the factory guys.
Batteries have gotten better but Hara like driver's will always have stuff that regulars will never be able to get. I've seen close battles with 6 cells as well with people finishing under power. I was just stating what I saw. What works for you may not work for someone else. No matter what it was that caused them dumping.....they still dumped.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #878
Tech Champion
 
STLNLST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Sacramento
Posts: 8,999
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW View Post
Those days are pretty much over. The only advantage the team drivers have is fresh sticks for the big events.

The only guys I saw dumping at the Reedy were always the same 2 or 3 guys. I talked with one of them and he said it had nothing to do with his batteries, but with their speedo/motor package
Oh well.........speedo, batteries, they still dumped. Wasn't fun to see guys lose a position on the last lap that way.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #879
PW
Tech Elite
 
PW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Groveland, FL
Posts: 4,396
Send a message via AIM to PW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
Oh well.........speedo, batteries, they still dumped. Wasn't fun to see guys lose a position on the last lap that way.
Well it had nothing to do with 5 or 6 cell. Certian motors just didn't run well with certian speedos regardless of cells.

Heck, I saw more people slow down in open mod 6 cell than 5 cell
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:05 PM   #880
Tech Elite
 
fjm9898's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 3,003
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

the # of cells wouldnt have a true effect on dumping or not.. with more cells in fact it may have been worse. V=I*R with more cells you have more voltage. and with your resistive load being constant that means with an increase in voltage would bring upon an increase in current flow... making your batteries die faster.

so with less cells your voltage is lower and so your current is lower. but yes with another cell you have more energy stored but with one less cell you have less current.. i dont know the exact math so i dont know exactly which would die first but. i would think running 5cell or 6 they should either way produce similar run times.
__________________
Xray '007 US and a bunch of other outdated stuff
fjm9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 04:21 PM   #881
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 2,520
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

That sounds good but I ask myself one simple question...in all the prior years at the Reedy, have I ever seen anyone dump in Mod?

No
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #882
51
Tech Regular
 
51's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: So Cal
Posts: 360
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOTMAN View Post
That sounds good but I ask myself one simple question...in all the prior years at the Reedy, have I ever seen anyone dump in Mod?

No
Yep, all the time...
__________________
Brent Thielke - Associated Team Manager
** AE Forum - www.aeforums.co.uk **
51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:39 PM   #883
Tech Elite
 
edseb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Laguna Niguel, California
Posts: 2,421
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOTMAN View Post
That sounds good but I ask myself one simple question...in all the prior years at the Reedy, have I ever seen anyone dump in Mod?

No
All the time.
edseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #884
Tech Elite
 
Rick Hohwart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 3,935
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjm9898 View Post
the # of cells wouldnt have a true effect on dumping or not.. with more cells in fact it may have been worse. V=I*R with more cells you have more voltage. and with your resistive load being constant that means with an increase in voltage would bring upon an increase in current flow... making your batteries die faster.

so with less cells your voltage is lower and so your current is lower. but yes with another cell you have more energy stored but with one less cell you have less current.. i dont know the exact math so i dont know exactly which would die first but. i would think running 5cell or 6 they should either way produce similar run times.
Less energy is less energy and a greater chance of dumping. What you lose in power and gain in run time with 5-cell is offset by faster motors and more aggressive gearing.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #885
PW
Tech Elite
 
PW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Groveland, FL
Posts: 4,396
Send a message via AIM to PW
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOTMAN View Post
That sounds good but I ask myself one simple question...in all the prior years at the Reedy, have I ever seen anyone dump in Mod?

No
Same here....All the time!
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Reedy Truck Race of Champions Chris Jarosz Electric Off-Road 6 10-30-2008 11:16 AM
REEDY OFF ROAD RACE OF CHAMPIONS! F N CUDA Electric Off-Road 3 03-20-2008 04:40 PM
Reedy Race of Champions 2004 glide 1 Electric On-Road 2 05-06-2004 11:01 PM
Reedy Race Of Champions Painy Australian Racing 140 12-17-2003 02:00 PM
Reedy TC Race of Champions Neil Rabara Electric On-Road 721 07-06-2003 11:35 AM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:02 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net