Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-04-2007, 07:21 AM   #871
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODEN View Post
That's great to see the speed has increased (we all want to go faster) it
seems that with the removal of one cell, the power has become more user
friendly less wheel spin more forward motion!

I also saw more guys dump too Over all people seemed to go faster but the battery wars will begin again. Regular racers don't get the killer packs that the factory guys do and to see a few of them dump is scary
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:42 AM   #872
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brandon Melton

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
I also saw more guys dump too Over all people seemed to go faster but the battery wars will begin again. Regular racers don't get the killer packs that the factory guys do and to see a few of them dump is scary
Well, you have to consider also that those guys are in heads up racing. No matter how good the driver, I'm sure there's a tendancy to use a little more in the heat of battle. I used a 3.5 at this race and only got soft on the last lap one time, which was in the last practice after I ran the same pack 7 times over 2 days. To say they have packs superior to the average guy is kinda outdated. Great packs, yes, but not leaps better than what non paid drivers get. I don't think you have to race a fresh pack each time out. I was making 5 mins no problem on packs that started fresh and had 4 runs on it by end of weekend. I think adrenaline caused some of the dumping of the factory guys.
Brandon Melton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:45 AM   #873
Shop Owner

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to nnick Send a message via MSN to nnick Send a message via Yahoo to nnick Send a message via Skype™ to nnick

Battery wars never ended actually, it only became "less" important.

Regarding speed, batteries and motors have way more power/ are faster than before hence with 5 cell cars are faster than previously with 6cells. Of course current batteries/motors will fly with 6cells BUT esc will blow and this is the reason we use 5cells

The #1 source for all your electric needs www.rcring.eu

Enjoy RCing....
R/C Tech #82
IRT #123

Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong

Team Xray T4'17, Team Xray X10'18, TOP Racing Rebel
nnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:58 AM   #874
PW
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to PW

Quote:
Regular racers don't get the killer packs that the factory guys do and to see a few of them dump is scary
Those days are pretty much over. The only advantage the team drivers have is fresh sticks for the big events.

The only guys I saw dumping at the Reedy were always the same 2 or 3 guys. I talked with one of them and he said it had nothing to do with his batteries, but with their speedo/motor package
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:09 AM   #875
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to kyle478

I would say 50% of the people on the track at the same time as me. fell off the pace with 30 seconds to go. I was running 6 cells and coming off with 60 seconds left
kyle478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #876
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to bigb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy Boomer View Post
I posted a slide show with music Here (Scroll down a little)

Some were in the video but there some new ones.

Boomer

Higher REZ
Boomer, video was SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bigb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 01:28 PM   #877
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Melton View Post
Well, you have to consider also that those guys are in heads up racing. No matter how good the driver, I'm sure there's a tendancy to use a little more in the heat of battle. I used a 3.5 at this race and only got soft on the last lap one time, which was in the last practice after I ran the same pack 7 times over 2 days. To say they have packs superior to the average guy is kinda outdated. Great packs, yes, but not leaps better than what non paid drivers get. I don't think you have to race a fresh pack each time out. I was making 5 mins no problem on packs that started fresh and had 4 runs on it by end of weekend. I think adrenaline caused some of the dumping of the factory guys.
Batteries have gotten better but Hara like driver's will always have stuff that regulars will never be able to get. I've seen close battles with 6 cells as well with people finishing under power. I was just stating what I saw. What works for you may not work for someone else. No matter what it was that caused them dumping.....they still dumped.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:30 PM   #878
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW View Post
Those days are pretty much over. The only advantage the team drivers have is fresh sticks for the big events.

The only guys I saw dumping at the Reedy were always the same 2 or 3 guys. I talked with one of them and he said it had nothing to do with his batteries, but with their speedo/motor package
Oh well.........speedo, batteries, they still dumped. Wasn't fun to see guys lose a position on the last lap that way.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:48 PM   #879
PW
Tech Elite

Quote:
Oh well.........speedo, batteries, they still dumped. Wasn't fun to see guys lose a position on the last lap that way.
Well it had nothing to do with 5 or 6 cell. Certian motors just didn't run well with certian speedos regardless of cells.

Heck, I saw more people slow down in open mod 6 cell than 5 cell
Old 06-04-2007, 04:05 PM   #880
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

the # of cells wouldnt have a true effect on dumping or not.. with more cells in fact it may have been worse. V=I*R with more cells you have more voltage. and with your resistive load being constant that means with an increase in voltage would bring upon an increase in current flow... making your batteries die faster.

so with less cells your voltage is lower and so your current is lower. but yes with another cell you have more energy stored but with one less cell you have less current.. i dont know the exact math so i dont know exactly which would die first but. i would think running 5cell or 6 they should either way produce similar run times.
Old 06-04-2007, 04:21 PM   #881
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

That sounds good but I ask myself one simple question...in all the prior years at the Reedy, have I ever seen anyone dump in Mod?

No
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:19 PM   #882
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOTMAN View Post
That sounds good but I ask myself one simple question...in all the prior years at the Reedy, have I ever seen anyone dump in Mod?

No
Yep, all the time...
Old 06-04-2007, 06:39 PM   #883
Tech Elite

Quote:

No
All the time.
edseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #884
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjm9898 View Post
the # of cells wouldnt have a true effect on dumping or not.. with more cells in fact it may have been worse. V=I*R with more cells you have more voltage. and with your resistive load being constant that means with an increase in voltage would bring upon an increase in current flow... making your batteries die faster.

so with less cells your voltage is lower and so your current is lower. but yes with another cell you have more energy stored but with one less cell you have less current.. i dont know the exact math so i dont know exactly which would die first but. i would think running 5cell or 6 they should either way produce similar run times.
Less energy is less energy and a greater chance of dumping. What you lose in power and gain in run time with 5-cell is offset by faster motors and more aggressive gearing.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:23 PM   #885
PW
Tech Elite

Quote:

No
Same here....All the time!