R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-29-2007, 12:25 PM   #676
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ERTRACHTER

the tires we're so bad this year that tj ran reruns in the 3rd main and he thought his car was broken
ASSOCIATED 12r5.1,REEDY MOTOR AND BATTERY, LRP SPEEDO,KIMBROUGH PRODUCTS,BIG DOG RACING,BELMONT R/C SPEEDSHOP, DENNIS LYMAN RACING, TEAM TOSO, TEAM FACTORY BITTER, SCHUUR SOLUTIONS, SIMMONS RACING, TEAM BOOZCRUZ
ERTRACHTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:26 PM   #677
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagatahawk
mr. bautista...
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:27 PM   #678
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagatahawk
I went to the Reedy last week end to see the pro's run.
maybe I'm getting jaded but this years was not at impressive as the past and did not stay until the end of the mains.

after seeing what the pro teams were running maybe I know why,
almost all were running brushless and i guess 5 cell,

In the past the cars seemed to have much more punch thru the infield and and faster down the straight and cars were braking before turn one.

I'm not sure if the lap times were as fast or the equivalent of the past races, but I missed sound of the brushed mod motors and the punch of 6 cell.

I hope for the spectators sake that the pros don't go to 4 cell. like us oval guys.
There was a radar gun on the straight this year during practice. Brushless with 5 cell was around 50.6mph compared to last year of 46mph with 6 cell. Of course most ran brushless with 5 cell and that contributed to the high speeds, but in the corners, the cars were fast due to lower weight of 5 cell cars, and that added up to lower lap times and overall faster heats.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:29 PM   #679
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERTRACHTER
the tires we're so bad this year that tj ran reruns in the 3rd main and he thought his car was broken
Yep, no way to get around it. Car set up , whatever, new tires were faster. Corey Lewis locked down TQ early and saved his new tires for the mains. His last run was on new tires. TJ had to use some of his tires as reruns in the mains due to not having his qualifiers locked down. He had no chance of staying with Corey. A solid drop of 3-5 tenths per lap on used tires, no way to get around it.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:29 PM   #680
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Did the cars look slower because they were carrying more corner speed, and didn't lurch on to the straights?

As for the sound, I guess that's just a matter of preference. 5 cell is what's killing brushed motors in mod, not brushless. Anyway, don't those Feigao based motors have a fan on the rotors to make them sound cool? :-)
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #681
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to RussB

how did tire wear compare between the 5 cell and 6 cell cars in open? seems like the 5 cell cars should have had an edge there...
RussB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:33 PM   #682
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussB
how did tire wear compare between the 5 cell and 6 cell cars in open? seems like the 5 cell cars should have had an edge there...
yes 5 cell car will have better tire wear, last year i ran 4 cell mod TC and i used the same set of CS27's for 4 weekends of racing,
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:35 PM   #683
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

so to rehash the rubber foam debate since I have been off for a few days. foam does not far off as fast and the debate that rubber is cheaper has been tossed due to the comment that you can run as many rubbers in practice so that you get the right setup for new tyres

now Rick Howart said that in club racing rubber would be better but Rick Howart when will you be showing up at our track to inforce the tyre rule as it's hard enough running a race club race let alone teching to make sure someone only uses 2 sets of rubber tyres or uses the spec tyre during a weekend at the club level. I'll peel off a set up CS-27s off the "spec rim" and remount a set of sorex22 with soft foam for each round if I have the money. and as for chunking a foam tire killing it, you hit hard enough and those cheap (to keep costs down) rims on the CS-27 warp so much that if you hit hard enough to chunk a foam you hit hard enough to go wooble wooble on a rubber tyre and you tell me that that is not as bad or worse.

as for the debate that rubber does not hurt the carpet next time you talk to Frank Calandra ask him about that, he told me that rubber did wear carpet out faster then foam. so I think I'll take his opinion on this since he sell the most common carpet, fast trak brand carpet, used for racing in the states.
RC50 As you come into this world, something else is also born. You begin your life, and it begins a journey towards you. It moves slowly, but it never stops. Wherever you go, whatever path you take, it will follow never faster, never slower, always coming. You will run, it will walk. You will rest, it will not. One day, you will linger in the same place too long you will sit too still, or sleep too deep. And when, too late, you rise to go, you will notice a second shadow next to yours. Your life will then be over.
nashrcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:49 PM   #684
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer
so to rehash the rubber foam debate since I have been off for a few days. foam does not far off as fast and the debate that rubber is cheaper has been tossed due to the comment that you can run as many rubbers in practice so that you get the right setup for new tyres

now Rick Howart said that in club racing rubber would be better but Rick Howart when will you be showing up at our track to inforce the tyre rule as it's hard enough running a race club race let alone teching to make sure someone only uses 2 sets of rubber tyres or uses the spec tyre during a weekend at the club level. I'll peel off a set up CS-27s off the "spec rim" and remount a set of sorex22 with soft foam for each round if I have the money. and as for chunking a foam tire killing it, you hit hard enough and those cheap (to keep costs down) rims on the CS-27 warp so much that if you hit hard enough to chunk a foam you hit hard enough to go wooble wooble on a rubber tyre and you tell me that that is not as bad or worse.

as for the debate that rubber does not hurt the carpet next time you talk to Frank Calandra ask him about that, he told me that rubber did wear carpet out faster then foam. so I think I'll take his opinion on this since he sell the most common carpet, fast trak brand carpet, used for racing in the states.
Nash.... Relax racing in our corner of planet earth will remain relatively unmolested. You and I both know that foam is cheaper, faster and easier on the cars. No tire warmers, tires that go fast for more than two or three runs, no spools, or one-ways, and actual traction. Yeah, you may occasionally have to use a tire truer, but hey that's okay with me.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:50 PM   #685
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashrcracer

I suggest that the same guys who check to make sure you are using legal motors, batteries, tire sauce, etc. be in charge of tire tech.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:54 PM   #686
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
I suggest that the same guys who check to make sure you are using legal motors, batteries, tire sauce, etc. be in charge of tire tech.
Rick, in most parts of the country that doesn't happen either. It's a whole lot easier to check the motor tags, cell shrink etc. than it is to make sure somebody's using a legal insert. To check the insert you have to pull the tire off the rim and check it correct? It's easy to get the same wheels, tires, and different inserts, then glue 'em up yourself.

Spec Rubber works with STRENUOUS tech at big races. As an individual who used to race direct each and every weekend, I can tell you on a club level, it ain't gonna work.
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:01 PM   #687
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by edseb
Yep, no way to get around it. Car set up , whatever, new tires were faster. Corey Lewis locked down TQ early and saved his new tires for the mains. His last run was on new tires. TJ had to use some of his tires as reruns in the mains due to not having his qualifiers locked down. He had no chance of staying with Corey. A solid drop of 3-5 tenths per lap on used tires, no way to get around it.
I set my car up for 1 run rears moved to the front and new rears... when I ran all 4 freshies my car was too twitchy. Setup and tire management have alot to do with how hard the times fall off... my fastest lap time came in the heat of the day (13.6 Saturday 3rd round) with 1run fronts and new rears.

Now keeping it on 4 wheels for 5 minutes is another story...
[url=http://www.cfxpaintworks.com/][color=DarkOrange]- CFX Paintworks -[/color][/url]
[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]- Team Ertrachter Factor - [/COLOR]
If my last name were Oxlong, I would name my kid Mike... yup Mike Oxlong
-Heywood Jablome

I don't want to pay for my sig, so yawl figure it out...
Big Rigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #688
Tech Master

Yep, the US got beat up this year at the Reedy Race and really there should be no excuses but at the level that we race at now small differences make the difference in being 1st-5th in a heat. I think if the US had a warm-up type rubber tire race it would make a huge difference as all the US driver's last major events were on foam tires. None of us are used to racing on rubber tires side by side with other racers and while we are still supposed to be some of the best in the world, it is hard to be comfortable racing something 1-2 times per year. Even if our ROAR outdoor Nats was 2-3 weeks before the Reedy Race and we had the oppertunity to race each other on asphalt, with rubber tires you would see a huge difference in the Reedy Race performance.

Tire wise, this year was terrible. There's already talk of making some sort of tire rule for next year. 1 set per day = 2 sets for the event, 4 sets per day = 8 sets for the event, 4 sets for the event = odd runs new tires are used by all and even runs used tires are run by all..... Any way they decide, it should improve racing greatly as you won't have 2-3 car break aways due to new/used tires.....
Old 05-29-2007, 01:06 PM   #689
Tech Addict

Thumbs up Reedy Race of Champions

I want to express a sincere THANK YOU to Fred Medel and Tamiya USA for their efforts toward keeping the Reedy Race the top-drawer event that it's always been. Mike Reedy did so much for the sport when he was better able and it's so great that Mike is still able to have a positive impact on our sport with this race that bears his name.
Scotty Ernst and crew - great job as always! Thanks.
Corey Lewis - you sure were impressive in 19Turn. No luck involved there - just skill. Congradulations on the TQ and Win! (you're a pretty good sport too - he he!) It might be the first-ever major event win by someone using the Pf MazdaSpeed 6.
Kyle Skidmore - Congradulations for the TQ and podium finish in the ultra competitive Open Mod class.
Ryan Cavalieri - Great performance by taking the big Win in Open Mod. Thanks for chosing a Pf MazdaSpeed 6 as well.
Marc Rheinard - The 2007 Reedy Race Champion! Nice to see you back on top. Congradulations for your impressive win.

Thanks also to all the racers at the Reedy who supported our products. I'm looking forward to next year!

Dale Epp - Protoform Race Bodies
daleepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:20 PM   #690
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressMidWest
Rick, in most parts of the country that doesn't happen either. It's a whole lot easier to check the motor tags, cell shrink etc. than it is to make sure somebody's using a legal insert. To check the insert you have to pull the tire off the rim and check it correct? It's easy to get the same wheels, tires, and different inserts, then glue 'em up yourself.

Spec Rubber works with STRENUOUS tech at big races. As an individual who used to race direct each and every weekend, I can tell you on a club level, it ain't gonna work.
Actually, it has been my experience that when someone is not using the "Spec" tire it is pretty obvious.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."
Advil is offline   Reply With Quote