R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-28-2007, 08:55 PM   #601
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Your completley wrong. Setup has nothing to do with this sometimes on certain tracks. If this is true can someone that runs rubber all the time to chime in and let us know if first run tires were the same as say 3rd run tires for them at this race.
The Tamiya track has an extremely abrasive track - and yes - fresh tires were .2-.3 faster - with 1-2 run tires - your car would handle totally different....
Old 05-28-2007, 08:58 PM   #602
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Boyle
Guys,

Look at the boyz over the pond they are running rubber tires whooping us at the large races ie Worlds, IIC, RROC and the Snowbirds. Some drivers and teams (AE) had a great weekend at the RROC. But why not get faster on carpet and asphakt by opening our eyes and running more rubber?

Just my .02

Later

Kevin Boyle

You obviously missed the whole point of the conversation going on. Foams are cheaper to run, they fall off .1 at most throughout the life of the tire. I heard of people spending 200+ dollars on tires for the reedy race. You do not have to do that for big carpet races. Alot of people run new tires every run or 2 but they can be used after that race without any loss in performance. The same cannot be said for rubber tires on an abrasive track. Plus this is America we are an ethnocentric society. Foam is thought of as more important here, there are 6 or more big carpet races and only 2 asphalt races of the same size. Only a small percentage care to be fast when they race against drivers from other parts of the world becasue most people rarley do that.

Don't get me wrong I love rubber tire asphalt racing alot, but I only do it a few months a year casue of the tire situation. My car feels soo much better on new tires on every track I have ever driven on.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #603
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace
Your completley wrong. Setup has nothing to do with this sometimes on certain tracks. If this is true can someone that runs rubber all the time to chime in and let us know if first run tires were the same as say 3rd run tires for them at this race.

Larry,

I would agree that it would depend on the track and I am sure Jackson is different then the track at the RROC. I am just thinking we need to get out of the foam train of thought and get with the the rest of the world and run more rubber. I know Jeff is great driver and can wheel a matchbox car better then me and if he said tire wear was a factor I belive him. But we get more wheel time with rubber tires and not hide behind foam.
Kevin Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #604
Tech Elite

i have always run rubber. on carpet the fall off isent as bad but yes its still there.. but you can get about 3 solid runs before any major fall off.

on asphalt i have seen all different types of wear depending on the surface, and setup and driving style.

on asphalt with the right setup you can get two good runs back to back but the fall off is still there but maybe not as severe... but like i said it depends on surface, track temp, and tire compound... some compounds are known to keep up their bit for a race or two longer then others.

basically there will always be a fall off but there are a few variables that can change how extreme the change.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:02 PM   #605
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. McGoo
The Tamiya track has an extremely abrasive track - and yes - fresh tires were .2-.3 faster - with 1-2 run tires - your car would handle totally different....

Was there a tire cap at the race? If so would you not have to find the best set up for the track even if the tires were not fresh?

Thanks
Kevin Boyle
Old 05-28-2007, 09:04 PM   #606
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

If you ever raced more than every 6 months you might get a feel for how the whole tire situation works. I dont care if someone has the best setup in the world for 3rd run tires if the track likes new tires you will be off the pace, and usually by a good bit. Also there may be a limit on tires for racing but for practice you can run as many as you want, and if you have the money to run new tires for every practice run it will help greatly on setting up your car for racing on new tires.

Also I think I can speak for my boy Cuffs here and say we and many others are not hiding behind foam. We prefer it over Rubber, that is all.

180 and 360 Raceway. Best on the East Coast. Take your pick
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:05 PM   #607
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

reruns wernt competitive at the reedy race kevin, to me it wasnt fun to stay on top of your car. How do u setup a car when u have to bolt new tires on every run to see if the changes made a difference
Old 05-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #608
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Boyle
Daryl,

Will the Checkpoint BL motor work with the LRP BL system? Can you PM with the details

Thanks
Kevin Boyle
Ummmmm, isn't that what Rheinard was using? He was certainly using the LRP TC-Spec Speedy and he's a Checkpoint man...

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:06 PM   #609
Tech Elite

well everyone can complain about the fall off but all the drivers had to deal with it... just some might have more exp for what changes to make between the first and second run.

and yes foam doest degrade lap times... but that is why the US guys can win foam at the IIC but we get killed when we toss rubbers on.

but there is a major down side to foam.. one wrong tap from another car or wall the pair is trashed and your run is toast.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:08 PM   #610
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I vote rubber
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:16 PM   #611
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Alonso
Ummmmm, isn't that what Rheinard was using? He was certainly using the LRP TC-Spec Speedy and he's a Checkpoint man...

Thanks I was not sure what speedo he was runing.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:18 PM   #612
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by automator
Is it just me or is coverage of this race pretty crappy. Hardly any pictures, can't get results of anything except invite class...I think we need to start a fund to send Nashrcracer to cover every single event, what do you think?
I put a link above to pics and results
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:20 PM   #613
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The Tamiya track is super hard on tires and makes fresh tires a big advantage. I have never run on any track where they make that much of a difference. But a ton of how good your car was on re runs had to do with setup, if your setup pushed even on fresh tires then they wore out very quickly.

Riding Bikes | Skiing | Helis | Rotor Rage | Cyclone Blades | RC Trim | Dead Kat Raceway
mini-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 09:28 PM   #614
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Cuffs
reruns wernt competitive at the reedy race kevin, to me it wasnt fun to stay on top of your car. How do u setup a car when u have to bolt new tires on every run to see if the changes made a difference

I could see how that could burn you out changing the set up that many times just see if it would work. But I would think that is also part of the racing?

Do you think it would have been less work with foam? and would people learn more or less running foam vs rubber

Jeff,

Larry is correct I have not been doing much on road and that is because I got burned out running the ORL2 for a couple of years. I have been running off Road these days and that is were I spend most of my race days.

Last edited by Kevin Boyle; 05-28-2007 at 09:39 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #615
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Weylin, give me a holla

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote