R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-20-2007, 09:47 AM   #16
Tech Apprentice

I would love to see us run 5 cell across the board. I know that I am probably in the minority but I see it as our future. The sooner I can play with it in a highly competitive environemtn, the faster I'll understand how to make my car work that way.
RacingStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 10:01 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to GuyIsDamGood

Hey guys.
My Brother-In-Laws and I are thinking about heading to Cali for the Reedy Race. We want to go there being Set-up Right(enough Batteries, Motors, Tires and some Spare Parts).
-It will cost us a few $s. Batteries(Ni-MH) will cost us $575.00, Motors might cost $200.00, Tires might cost $370.00 and Spare Parts will cost us $250.00 each.
-Travel fees(Plane or Train or Bus or Gas to Drive there and/or Hotel) is MORE Money.
-You might have to ship some stuff to your place of stay before you arrive.

Do the Math. . . . .it will Cost You.
-Think about it.

We`ll be coming from N.Y.C.; it`s a long way to Cali.

Have FUN!

Take Care
GuyIsDamGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996
How did you balance the car out... since BL systems are so heavy and the batteries become lighter, did you have tones of preload on one side?
I moved my Rx, personal transponder and 2oz of weight to the battery side. My Mi2EC is 2oz under weight at the US 6 and 5 cell weights so I needed to add weight no matter what.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I hope the MuchMore pre-mount 32's are the handout tire this year!
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:39 PM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

OH YEAH, TIME FOR REEDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this race, I look forward to it every year. Every year is a blast and better than previous. One of the best ran races in the world.

On the battery topic, I'm all for 5 cell for all classes, but that probably won't happen. Definitely 5 cell for invite. Hopefully if it is 5 cell, Roar will notice and make their decision at the end of the year on it.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:47 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy1
OH YEAH, TIME FOR REEDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this race, I look forward to it every year. Every year is a blast and better than previous. One of the best ran races in the world.

On the battery topic, I'm all for 5 cell for all classes, but that probably won't happen. Definitely 5 cell for invite. Hopefully if it is 5 cell, Roar will notice and make their decision at the end of the year on it.
Alright...let's not start all this changing the number of cells crap again. 6-cell works...in ALL R/C cars so going to 5-cell means you have to have special packs for Sedans that you can't use in your buggies or trucks so it makes things more expensive for those of us who own more then just a sedan. So get over the 5-cell thing already. Plus it will help ruin the growing popularity in cheaper forms of racing such as the Tamiya Minis since you can't run 5-cell packs. Lastly, it's all just a smokescreen by ROAR and battery matchers to keep LiPo out of R/C racing anyway so if you want to continue to pander to the powers that be who are only after more of your hard earned money then fine...you all work out that deal but don't try to force the rest of us into spending even more money and continue to drive people to Nitro. This looks like it was started as a thread about a race and not about batteries anyway.
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:27 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM
At the last state race I ran 5 cell with the new LRP X11 4.5T motor. I will drag race ANYONE's 6 cell 7 turn setup with my 5 cell setup. Anyone that says 5 cell is slow doesn't know what they are talking about.

I have talked with a few Euro drivers and they ALL say 5 cells give faster lap times. The acceleration is the sames as 6 cell with the latest BL motors but the corner speeds are way highter than with 6 cell.
You're right Adrian. But Lipos are even better!Now Imagine running your 4.5 motor with Orion 4800 or 3200mah packs; they are still lighter than 5 cells, and probaly 4 cells(Orion 3200mah), but have more power than 6 cell packs...more power, lighter than 5 cells, must equal faster lap times---and no maintenance or discharging or wasting money and time...

"Release the Kraken"
yyhayyim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 03:31 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PW
The Mi3 has already run with both Orion & Peak Lipos along with all 3 major brushless systems...We are ready
Hey PW: have you guys tested running Orion 4800/3200mah packs vs 5 cells and compared the laptimes...If not, it'll be worth the tests...If 5 cells are getting better laptimes than 6 cells, then running Orion 4800mah LIPOS will be faster, since they are much lower weight, yet have more punch and power than any 6 cell out there today.

"Release the Kraken"
Old 02-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #24
J_P
Tech Addict

Why are ALL Lipo people so left wing-one sided and ramble about the same stuff over and over? DUDE, This is about a race in California. Not a battery that is not legal in any sanctioned event.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:55 PM   #25
PW
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to PW

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyhayyim
Hey PW: have you guys tested running Orion 4800/3200mah packs vs 5 cells and compared the laptimes...If not, it'll be worth the tests...If 5 cells are getting better laptimes than 6 cells, then running Orion 4800mah LIPOS will be faster, since they are much lower weight, yet have more punch and power than any 6 cell out there today.
Not yet, but I'm sure they will in European club races

The Lipos actually don't have more power than well matched IB4200, but they do give a more consistent power range through the entire run.

muahdib4...You are so off base if you really think ROAR is in bed with anyone

JConcepts - Team Associated - Reedy - XP - TSR Products - MIP - Stickit1
P1 Brand - "If it's only for fun; then take out the transponder?!"
PW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 04:05 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P
Why are ALL Lipo people so left wing-one sided and ramble about the same stuff over and over? DUDE, This is about a race in California. Not a battery that is not legal in any sanctioned event.
At least you know your geography...I think we all know that its a race in California...that's not the issue. We were just commenting on the speed and power of 6 cells, vs 5 cells. Someone commented that 5 cells was slower, and it was rebutted that 5 cells is actually faster. Then I mentioned that if so, then LIPOs are faster, since they are lighter and have more punch. I dont know if you can assimilate the data, but its math, and its numbers dont lie...so what's the pblm? No one here is being leftist...and by the way, there are lots of clubs running LIPO's already, especially in Europe and ASIA, and some here in the USA. It will become mainstream, just like brushless and ESC's...dont let your old school attachment to old school 6 cell technology cloud your reasoning...

"Release the Kraken"
Old 02-20-2007, 04:12 PM   #27
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to k_bojar Send a message via AIM to k_bojar

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P
I was wondering the same thing...

I also noticed that every one of his posts plugged LIPO cells...and didn't really offer any useful information about the race or what people would like to see (in terms of the invite class)

I'd say let the invite guys run 5cell - since that seems to be the growing trend for international racing...let those not "special enough" to get an invite run 6cells packs..

and until ALL lipo manufacturers come up with a protective case like the Orion packs, don't allow them
Old 02-20-2007, 04:15 PM   #28
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The Reedy Race has in the past based its spec and mod classes on ROAR rules, other than the Reedy quad mag 19t, Reedy is the sponsor after all, and the invites on IFMAR rules. I see no reason why they would change when neither ROAR or IFMAR runs 4 or 5 cells this year and ROAR does not allow lipo's.

Looking forward to another great race at one of the worlds top tracks.
Fred

PS: why turn this into another cell count of lipo hash out when they have nothing to do with this race. There has been enough crap about that and taken over other treads, leave this thread for the REEDY RACE OF CHAMPIONS,
Please!
Old 02-20-2007, 04:24 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones
The Reedy Race has in the past based its spec and mod classes on ROAR rules, other than the Reedy quad mag 19t, Reedy is the sponsor after all, and the invites on IFMAR rules. I see no reason why they would change when neither ROAR or IFMAR runs 4 or 5 cells this year and ROAR does not allow lipo's.

Fred

PS: why turn this into another cell count of lipo hash out when they have nothing to do with this race. There has been enough crap about that and taken over other treads, leave this thread for the REEDY RACE OF CHAMPIONS,
Please!
I prefer 5 cell for modified. Its the way to go. You ge the same or better laptimes, and its a bit easier on the cars and electronics.

I guess 6 cells also need to be encased, since they blow up, as it happened recently at the DHI cup. A guy lost his ride and some equipment due to his 6 cell pack blowing up out of nowhere...there is just a double standard, that's all.

"Release the Kraken"
Old 02-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_O_jones

Fred

Please!
Relax there CO Jones- no one here trying to take shots at anyone. Stop generalizing. You are passing judgement way too fast. Its not about cell count and lipo hash out as you claimed...take a deep breath...relax...its all good, buddy. Its just a discussion...try to discuss and share your view points without critizing or passing judgement on others comments. I have a question for you...If ROAR allows Orion Paks tomorrow, will you embrace them or still keep using 6 cell packs?

"Release the Kraken"