R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #316
Tech Addict

Two minutes? I just need about 20 seconds to get everyone on the track.

-Rich
RichChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 08:08 PM   #317
Tech Master

Hello Everyone,

I posted a few days ago with coming pics of a few new CEFX C12 updates but after days of testing with Mike, I have come to learn a lot about our C12 and how it reacts with Brushless Mod in the car. I am very happy with the performance/balance of the C12 when we run brushed motors but with brushless it just feels like something has been missing. The gyro effect and pod torque is drastically reduced with brushless, the added weight of the entire brushless system just makes the window of oppertunity for that perfect set-up is just so sensitive to keep in check.

At first, we wanted to be able to offer everyone a simple option kit for their C12 that would allow them to switch over from brushed to brushless with only a few parts. As we tested though, we found so many things that drastically improved every part of the C12's performance with the Brushless Modified set-up. Today, I tested a lot of ideas and revisions that I have thought about for a very long time and the results were dramatic.

After a long discussion about the future of our 1/12 program we decided to leave the C12 as is. It has been a top contender at every race in Stock and 19T and there is no reason to compromise what we feel is one of the best 1/12 cars on the market for brushed racing. We will continue to support the C12 Evo2 and all our stock and 19T drivers will continue on with this car through the 2007-2008 season and possibly beyond that.

For brushless racing though, the C12 has been reborn. Mike Blackstock and myself will be piloting the new CEFX 1/12 BL cars in Las Vegas @ the IIC. The PHOENIX will be the first 1/12 car 100% designed and tested specifically for brushless racing. No compromise. Mike and I will be testing the Phoenix @ CEFX this weekend. If everything goes as it has in the previous testing, production will start immediatly.

Pictures and more details coming soon!!

Vegas, here we come!!!
Old 09-21-2007, 07:36 AM   #318
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul View Post
Hello Everyone,

I posted a few days ago with coming pics of a few new CEFX C12 updates but after days of testing with Mike, I have come to learn a lot about our C12 and how it reacts with Brushless Mod in the car. I am very happy with the performance/balance of the C12 when we run brushed motors but with brushless it just feels like something has been missing. The gyro effect and pod torque is drastically reduced with brushless, the added weight of the entire brushless system just makes the window of oppertunity for that perfect set-up is just so sensitive to keep in check.

At first, we wanted to be able to offer everyone a simple option kit for their C12 that would allow them to switch over from brushed to brushless with only a few parts. As we tested though, we found so many things that drastically improved every part of the C12's performance with the Brushless Modified set-up. Today, I tested a lot of ideas and revisions that I have thought about for a very long time and the results were dramatic.

After a long discussion about the future of our 1/12 program we decided to leave the C12 as is. It has been a top contender at every race in Stock and 19T and there is no reason to compromise what we feel is one of the best 1/12 cars on the market for brushed racing. We will continue to support the C12 Evo2 and all our stock and 19T drivers will continue on with this car through the 2007-2008 season and possibly beyond that.

For brushless racing though, the C12 has been reborn. Mike Blackstock and myself will be piloting the new CEFX 1/12 BL cars in Las Vegas @ the IIC. The PHOENIX will be the first 1/12 car 100% designed and tested specifically for brushless racing. No compromise. Mike and I will be testing the Phoenix @ CEFX this weekend. If everything goes as it has in the previous testing, production will start immediatly.

Pictures and more details coming soon!!

Vegas, here we come!!!
Ummm, I change my mind Rich. I think I may bew running stock now....
Jeremy Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #319
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

What compounds in bsr's are people using for stock?
Miller1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:38 PM   #320
Tech Addict

Fun day of racing! Thanks, CEFX crew!

Will the track be open next weekend?

Good luck to the folks going to the IIC! Bring home some hardware!

-Rich

Last edited by RichChang; 09-23-2007 at 09:02 PM.
RichChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:26 AM   #321
Tech Master

Miller1 - No sure on BSR's... Most everyone at CEFX use Jaco and some use Parma. Usually, the 1/12 guys run Double Pink fronts/ with Yellow or Pink rears. TC guys run double pinks.

Rich - The track will be open. Angel and Mark handle everything when I am out of town so all normal race schedules and hours apply.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:16 PM   #322
Tech Master

Back from the IIC and now getting ready to head off to Argentina for the 1/8 WC. I wanted to post a quick brief from the IIC and thank all the CEFX drivers for a great job this weekend. I was really proud of the way the cars worked and I think with a little bit more luck/testing we would have had a perfect weekend.

In stock, everyone used slightly different set-ups on the C12 depending on driving style and the tires that they used. Here's some info on each:

Drew Ellis (TQ):

Jaco Prism Double Pink front (1/3 tire traction) @ 1.66 dia
.020 front springs
Kyosho 15k on the kingpins
Castor shims split 1/1
10 degree front blocks
2 degrees of camber
3.5mm front ride height

.062 t-bar - no center screw
.020 shim under the front of the t-bar
Kyosho 15k in the tubes
30wt center shock oil - Green Spring
Jaco Prism Yellow Rear tire (full traction) @ 1.72 dia
Rear Width @ 6.70
4.0mm rear ride height

Parma HD Body

Jim Herrmann:

Most was the same as Drew but with these exceptions.

Parma Magenta front tires (1/2 traction) @ 1.66 (I think)
Parma Grey rear tires (full traction) @ 1.72 (I think)
.050 shim under the front of the t-bar

I'm not 100% sure on the track width. I know Jim did grind the front steering blocks .020 off the front face to narrow up the front end (Parma wheels have a different off-set than Jaco's).

Joe Trandell:

Again, most things were the same as Drew but here's what was different:

Protoform Speed 12 body
5 degree front blocks
.018 front springs
.040 under the front of the t-bar.
Rear track width was 6.670
Old 10-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #323
Tech Master

Here's what Mike and I ran on the Phoenix:

Jaco Prism Double Pink fronts @ 1.66 (1/3 tire traction) (I think 1.64 for Mike)
.020 Front springs (.018's for me in qualifying)
10 degree front blocks (5's for me in qualifying)
Castor shims split 1/1
Kyosho 15k on the king pins
2 degrees of camber (I think Mike ran 1.5-1)
3-3.5mm front ride height

.062 t-bar
.040 under the front of the t-bar
Kyosho 15K in the tubes
30wt center shock oil (Mike ran 35)
Green Spring
Rear width @ 6.70 (I went to 6.73 for the final)
Rear ride height @ 3.5-4mm
Jaco Prism Yellow rears @ 1.72 (I think 1.70 for Mike)

Protoform Speed 12 body
Old 10-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #324
Tech Adept

Josh-

how about your car. what was the setup along with your motor choice. You seemed to be the car to beat early on then others were able to match your pace.

What is going one with brushless? Motor4.5 or 5.5. Are these the most current motors and are they available?

I run GTB as well. what were your settings. did you run negative expo on throttle. Any other interesting notes.

Congrats on your week. You almost did it. There is always the champs.

Good luck in Argentina. I hope you broke in all your motors.
cookie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:35 PM   #325
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Josh, when will the Phoenix be released is it available through the store now??
rogtsaamokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:57 PM   #326
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to adamliehr

Good job in Vegas!

Good luck in Argentina too! It's beautiful, and some of the nicest people I have ever met.
adamliehr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:09 PM   #327
Tech Master

In Stock, Jim Herrmann held the early TQ through day #1 with Drew in 2nd and Joe Trandell in 4th. Day #2 brought a faster track and a lot of other drivers finding their set-ups and running clean runs. Drew was able to take over the TQ while Jim dropped to 4th and Joe down to 9th. In the final, Jim and Joe made increadible starts with Jim coming out in 2nd behind Drew and Joe moving all the way up to 4th. Jim and Drew touched in front of the drivers stand (racing accident - no fault) which created a bit of a pile-up the left Drew back to 5th-6th and Trandell stuck in the wall back in 8th-9th. Jim continued to lead the race until several bobbles dropped him back to 3rd. He did battle back though to retake the lead for a bit until a few more bobbles dropped him back to his final finishing position of 3rd.

A big congrats to Steve, Bruce and SpeedMerchant. It was cool to see someone I watched and tried to catch up to while growing up at JJ's in the 90's make a strong return to racing the last few years and seal it with a win at one of the year's largest events.

In Mod, Mike was quite happy with his car and we didn't really make any changes through practice. I was running around working with all the stock drivers as well as my own TC so I didn't have my Phoenix ready to run until the last round of practice. In that practice, the car ran well but my lack of practice showed as I was not very comfortable. After round 1 of qualifying I was TQ and I am still shocked that I ran that quick as my driving was a bit off until about half way through the race. Mike had a great run going but some crashes on his own and with traffic cost some time but he still ended up 4th in the round. From there, we tested and tried things with the car as we just weren't sure how it would work due to this being the first race with the car. Mike and I were both shuffled down a bit in the order (Mike was 7th, I was 4th) come main time so we decided to make a few more changes and try to learn some more for the future. Mike was in a crash on the first lap that left him in the back of the pack over 1/2 lap down from the field. My start was clean as I was able to get by Hara when he went wide. From there, it was boring. I tried to run pace with Marc & Andy but a slight understeer kept me from being able to close any ground and I ran my race finishing out in 3rd. Mike battled back through the field all the way back to 4th and even set the fastest lap of the final.

Congrats to Andy and the Hot Bodies/Orion team for a great win.

All things considered, it was a great weekend for CEFX at the IIC. We had the fastest laps in both the stock and modified A-Mains and we were able to put 3 C12's in the stock main and both Phoenix cars in the main in Mod with podium finishes in both classes. Thanks again to the drivers for a strong showing and I am looking forward to doing it again at the next race!!
Old 10-01-2007, 03:17 PM   #328
Tech Master

Cookie - My set-up was posted above. I ran a 4.5 motor in 1/12. I think it's the same 4.5 you can buy from Orion but with a different rotor (smaller magnet for 1/12). I'm not sure if there is any plans to make an optional rotor. I ran the Orion 4.5 with a Novak GTB 4-cell speedo. I didn't use any expo. I set all the setting in the speedo to 1 and from there I just drove it.

Rog - I have to make up a parts/price listing for the car. I do have about 10-15 cars already made here but nothing is packaged or ready to go. I'll work on all the details during my 23 hours worth of travel to/from Argentina so we can try to have some kits ready to go when I return. We are also thinking about offering a conversion kit so people who want to run brushless all the time can just convert their C12 rather than buying a complete Phoenix. More info as soon as I can...
Old 10-01-2007, 03:26 PM   #329
Tech Adept

Good Stuff Josh. That is a pretty strong collective team effort. I can't believe these results.
Jeremy Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 03:50 PM   #330
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to TCRacer101

I hope to be there soon for Stock TC. Anyone else?