R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default How good on Carpet -w- foams

I am trying to get into racing and wanted to know is the cars that i own already good enough the TEAM LOSI XXX-S Graphite Plus and i also have a RC10 TC4 “ready-to-run” that i was thinking about buying the conversion kit for it is it worth it ..The electronics on the XXX g+ is good but i just purchased the Novak Brushless Super-Sport ESC & Novak Brushless 13.5 SS Motor for the tc4 and working on changing electronics also the XXX g+ has a NEW Epic XX Stock PRO motor in it is either car anygood on carpet with foams......
Old 02-17-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Both are good cars. At this stage in the game its about having the car in the right basic setup and learning to drive. Look for factory team setups and use whichever car has the most support at your local hobby shop or track, as you might need some spare parts.
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:11 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Thanks for the response but almost everyone at the track run Xray t2007, Team Corally RDX , Mi2,Tf-stallion,pro 4,etc just wanted to know can i compete with a person of equal driving skills ...
Old 02-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Compete

Choose the car that is best supported locally for parts. If you are new, you will need parts.
As for which chassis will be the most competitive, either one can do the job, depending on setup. If you cannot compete with these cars, it will not be the fault of the chassis.
Some of the fastest guys at our track(Go Team Fastcats) are running some vintage stuff and competing very well. Granted, they do not crash often and have some incredible electrics and batts, but the chassis doesnt seem to prevent them from making the mains.
I would pick the newer one as parts support is likely better, set it up like on the pros or close to it and have some fun. You won't regret it.
Track mates will help with rollouts and probably setup so have some fun and just do it.
todd8603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 01:45 PM   #5
Tech Regular

So you would go with the tc4 ..thanks I'll give that a try but i think that i still may have to get the conversion kit for it but anyway thanks for responding back too me.
Old 02-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #6
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward Haywood
So you would go with the tc4 ..thanks I'll give that a try but i think that i still may have to get the conversion kit for it but anyway thanks for responding back too me.
I think one of the biggest mistakes that new drivers make in this hobby is thinking that the "most bling" car will make them a better driver. As a new driver, use the money that you were going to spend in the upgrade kit on tires and practice time... The box-stock TC4 is still a very capable car - no need for the carbon stuff at this point. Wait until you are able to run a full 5 minutes with minimal contact with the boards or other cars before you worry about upgrading. Spend some time learning what each set-up does (spring rates, droop, camber, caster, toe, etc) and how these set-ups effect your driving.

If you really want to buy an upgrade for your car, buy a full spring set and depending if you are running rubber tires or not - a swaybar set. That is all you will need to get yourself going. It'll take you a couple years at a hobby level before you outdrive the car - and how cool will it be beating all the XRays, and such at your track with a cheaper car.
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:18 PM   #7
Tech Adept

i found it depends on wat size track you are plannin to run on if it is a small track then the xxxs will br good but it will struggle in the corners as in theory the car was built as a car park racer the tc4 is really good as one of our top drivers at our club races one and it goes really well
nemisis is offline   Reply With Quote