R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-16-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Remote start your RC car...How can this be done?

I just saw on the XRC website a video of someone starting their Jato straight from their radio. Does anyone know how to do this, and if this is actually a good idea or not?

Here is the link:

http://www.rc411.com/pages/xstream.php?video=16
phresko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 09:37 PM   #2

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

They explain how to do it in XRC. Within the last 2-3 issues. They use a micro ESC, a 7.2v lipo battery, and the third channel on the radio to activate the micro ESC and engage the ez-start. The micro esc also feeds the Rx off it's BEC. So it also acts as a 6v LIPO regulator.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:37 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (95%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to loopedout

could you post up more please, id like to do this. specifics like how to wire the ez start to the esc, will a regular esc work or only specific ones and what exact battery are they using. thanks in advance
THD Custom R/C Products/Team Holy Rollers/Team Terribles
loopedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 11:35 PM   #4

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It really is not hard to figure out, for real instructions I'd suggest finding the magazine if your really not competent at figuring stuff out and need to be shown pictures.

You could use any ESC, but small is better. So they used a micro ESC for a heli or airplane. For a battery, you want a LIPO that has good capacity since it will be starting, and running your ez-start.

You need to take apart you ez-start handle, remove the push button switch and bridge the connection. You then use the ESC to power the ez-start circuit board, which will power the ez-start motor and your glow plug. It requires you finding a place for the entire ez-start circuit board, but once it is cut down and sealed in shrink wrap it is somewhat compact, but long. You want to cut vent holes in the shrink wrapped board to let the resistor and heat sink on the board to vent and not burn the wrap.

The third channel on the radio is set so off is neutral in the ESC, and on is full forward throw on the ESC. You flick switch, ESC powers EZ-Start, which spins engine and fires glowplug. ESC is switched on which powers your Rx through the LIPO pack (you remove your existing Rx pack.)

It requires you to be semi competent at soldering, and able to wire and setup a 3 channel radio.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:53 PM   #5
Tech Adept

I not sure how its done, but I just bought a 3pk, and that radio has an extra channel (on the reciever too!)
bozla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:48 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

I could be wrong, but I think the article in XRC was for a nitro.