Warpspeed Racing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Warpspeed Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 11:16 AM
Tech Regular

Oh.....and VHT actually sucks to race on.....believe it or not.....I prefer SODA......cheaper.....and does not gum up everything on the tires, car, and the track surface.

hehe....and you get a clean track everytime it rains! LOL!
Old 08-24-2003, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Demon (2.5MM)

I just got back from Speedline Hobbies. The 2.5 MM car is really good. I ran practice and the first qualifier with a diff and the second qual and the main with a spool. My times dropped .5 per lap with the spool. The car does not flex any more than the 3 MM car on the track. I have not run any on road in three months and my lap times were all within .6 of each other. I would say from this test session that the car is a little more free in the turns (like the stock car but way more balanced side to side). The chassis thickness puts the roll centers back to stock. It is hard for me to say which is better (the 3mm or the 2.5). I think if you are looking for more overall traction, the 3mm is the way to go. If you are looking to free the car up, the 2.5 is the way to go. I think carpet guys are going to like the 2.5 MM car better because cg and lower roll centers are more critical. I have not run the Demon 2 yet, but I am sure Stephen Baker will have lots to write about the car after this weekend. Oh, I ended up 3rd in the main (6 seconds behind the leader). I had no motor all day. The guys that finished 1st and 2nd would open up three feet out of each turn and had a little more speed down the backstraight. I could drive the car very deep and hard into the turns and it was super stable. That is the only way I could even remotely keep up.

Last edited by Art Jensen; 08-24-2003 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Some how that does not make sense to me how a slightly less rigid car would be more freed up, but i'll take your word for it. I DO, however think that the 2.5 mm chassis w/ 3 mm topdeck will be killer on carpet with foams; just as stiff, but roll centers and CG is back down to stock.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

I think the difference in grip is due to the roll center change, not flex. The 2.5 MM car is got to be just as rigid as the 3MM car. Very stiff!! Raising the rollcenter changes the suspension dynamics to give more bite.
Attached Thumbnails Warpspeed Racing-100_0390.jpg  
Old 08-24-2003, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

Another pic.
Attached Thumbnails Warpspeed Racing-100_0391.jpg  
Old 08-24-2003, 07:02 PM
Tech Regular

The 3mm car IS very stiff.

I believe my overall problem was TOO thick of shock oil...all the way around. I used 45wt last night.....should have went with 30 or 35.

I started with diffs ft & rear....too much rear traction....could not turn......on or off power.....worse on power obviously. But, with diffs..blip the brake and go. Used a oneway up front.....that helped....but......overall the car just did not hook up. I tried a couple different inserts......even the set of tires that I won with the last time out.......still.....just did not have anything.

I did try 2 different camber positions and 2 different shock locations...some help.....but definitely not there yet.

I highly recommend going with lighter weight oil than normal....at least 35.....and probably 30. I will be going with 30 next time out.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

i actually used 50wt last time out with my car Tom. Ill try to change my oil next time too.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:48 PM
Tech Regular

acloco Oh.....and VHT actually sucks to race on.....believe it or not.....I prefer SODA......cheaper.....and does not gum up everything on the tires, car, and the track surface.

Funny, cause I prefer the soda (Mt Dew) in a bucket of ice beside me, and the bathroom ten steps behind me, and not one of those plastic bucket bathrooms with a door either This indoor carpet track has me very lazy about desiring anything else... So nice not baking out in the summer sun of N Cal on pavement radiating 150 degrees if discomfort all afternoon
Old 08-24-2003, 08:56 PM
Tech Regular

acloco:

What springs are you using? I normally run asphalt, blue up front and gold in the rear with 45 wt oil all the way around. I run 3 deg toe-in and 2 deg in camber all the way around. I run 2 deg kick up and 2 deg c-blocks. The car is hooked up.

Here are some pics of my new WARPSPEED Mission with Losi c-hub suspension.
Attached Thumbnails Warpspeed Racing-dscf0001.jpg  

Last edited by Mr Warpspeed; 08-24-2003 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

here is another.
Attached Thumbnails Warpspeed Racing-dscf0002.jpg  
Old 08-24-2003, 08:57 PM
Tech Regular

another.

sorry no pic.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

another.
Attached Thumbnails Warpspeed Racing-dscf0007.jpg  
Old 08-24-2003, 09:01 PM
Tech Regular

last one
Attached Thumbnails Warpspeed Racing-dscf0008.jpg  
Old 08-24-2003, 09:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Mr Warpspeed
acloco:

What springs are you using? I normally run asphalt, blue up front and gold in the rear with 45 wt oil all the way around. I run 3 deg toe-in and 2 deg in camber all the way around. I run 2 deg kick up and 2 deg c-blocks. The car is hooked up.

Here are some pics of my new WARPSPEED Mission with Losi c-hub suspension.
Mr. Warpspeed....how hot is the track? What tires/inserts? Just curious.

All of the Schumacher drivers should be drooling and CALLING you for the info on how to make the changes to their car. Looks good!!

James....yes...45 seemed a bit too heavy. Car never really stuck to the track.

Warspeed.....2 degrees of camber on this track....will make you buy new tires every 3rd pack! hehe

My setup.............again...this IS a NEUTRAL setup that I would start with at any asphalt/concrete track....obviously, not carpet.

1 degree camber all the way around.
0.5 toe out in front.
3+2 in the rear (or 3+1 + 0.5 losi xxx-s hubs in the rear for a little more side bite)
45wt oil, #2 pistons, red springs front, gold rear
f+2 block with zero degree hubs in the front
one way in the front
Front shock middle/upper hole, outer lower hole.
Camber links...upper/outer
Rear shocks-same as front
Camber links - same as front

I used Sorex 36 with Sorex Medium Thick A inserts early in the day (4 packs in practice). Switched to 36 type A firm inserts.....then 36 with HPI red inserts.....then to Sorex 28 with HPI red inserts.

I am going to change the shock oil to 30 all the way around.....and add some caster up front.

I almost.....and coulda/shoulda/probably will run a rear shock tower up front if the shock oil & caster blocks don't do the trick.

But, I will definitely try your setup.

Of another note....relating to the 2 degree camber.....I use a fairly hard rim....almost no flex. Previously I used the Yokomo rim (not plastic....but the delrin (not the flexible one)...don't have the part number. I have now switched to the Integy/Atlas rim....very inexpensive....but tough!!! $5 for a set of four high quality rims....good deal!! http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...52103170060.35

I agree.....I don't like those days of 90+ temp....and 150 degree asphalt either.....but ANY day R/C racing....well.....is a GREAT day. I know it may sound like a broken record....but Speed World is a NICE facility....Billy & Tracy works their proverbial butt off there. The best part is the racers.......all A+ people.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:27 PM
Tech Regular

Warpspeed....interesting.....blue springs in the front...gold in the rear......after reading that again.....you had too much traction in the rear as well.

With the stiff chassis, battery placement......that is what makes the difference.

Also......no tweak!!! yeah baby......YEAH!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.