R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-14-2007, 09:51 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default comm lathe problem

My comm lathe, which has previously worked well, has suddenly developed a problem. I've cut comms on it a dozen times before, without a problem. Now when I cut a comm, the armature starts to jump up and chatter in the V groove at the comm end. I've cut this particular armature previously and didn't have a problem. Any ideas? It has a diamond bit, and it doesn't look like there is any problem there, but perhaps you need a microscope to tell.

Lathe is a Cobro Motor Builders lathe.
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
Team Tekin

Make sure that the armature is spinning into the bit not away from it. The other thing to try is cut a different arm. How tight is the o-ring? If it's on the loose side maybe a new one is in order.
Randy Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to MattFrag

It is possible that the armature shaft could be bent. Does the comm start to jump even when the bit is away from the comm? If this is the case Either the shaft is bent or it could be that your block is bent or out of alignment.
Team BackBreaker Racing
MattFrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 05:50 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Z.Hallett

check the blocks for alinment, and do you oil the blocks when you start to rotate the arm before you cut it? that would at least cut down on friction.

-Zac
Z.Hallett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
Tech Addict

O ring is on the loose side. Maybe that's the cause. I do oil the blocks. Armature spins fine until the bit touches it, then it starts to "climb" the bit. Hope the diamond bit isn't damaged. I'll have to figure out where I can get another O ring of that size.

Is the O ring supposed to ride the iron laminations on a stock motor (CO27) or the gap between them and ride the windings?
Old 02-15-2007, 08:14 AM   #6
Tech Regular

if the o-ring is loose, put the o-ring on the stacks of the arm to tighten it up. when you get a new o-ring, run it on the laminations on the windings.

-Zac
Old 02-15-2007, 08:37 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

do not run it on the middle directly on the wires. run it on the iron stack at either side. align the drive pully to line up if needed.
MManson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:41 AM   #8
Tech Regular

just curios; why not run it on the windings? anything wrong with doing that?

-Zac
Old 02-15-2007, 08:46 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've been cutting with the o-ring on the windings for years not a problem. Your bit may be chipped. Put a cheap carbide one on and see if it still jumps around while cutting, keep in mind the carbide will need to be run at 1.0 volt higher than with the diamond.

Another thing to check, are you running bearings or v-blocks, if bearings check them out real good you may have a bearing bad.

V-block, make sure you put a dab of oil on them B4 running.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 08:51 AM   #10
Tech Addict

Running V blocks. I have checked to see if anything has come loose, causing a change in alignment. Only thing I can think of is that either the bit is chipped, or this armature is different in some way. The comm is .288 diameter. A lot of my old armatures are in the .27x range. Also, I do run the O ring on the windings. Wondering if this one has more compact windings so the O ring isn't as tight? I'll try a different bit, I think I've got one from way back that I used on a full size lathe, I'll see if its the same size.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:13 AM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

putting the oring on the windings can do weird things. it can create vibrations, it puts pressure on the wires, which can deform them, it has less grip on the arm because its a smaller dia and less surface area the oring can latch on to and slip during cutting. it might also change the rpm from holding onto a sloppy machine wind, but i think thats a minimal effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.Hallett
just curios; why not run it on the windings? anything wrong with doing that?

-Zac
MManson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 09:29 AM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Jaz406
Default Lathe Problems

Is the armature spinning toward you or away from you when you are cutting?

How does the cut look on the comm. when it's jumping? It cannot look good

I have to lathes and the arm spins away from me. also make sue bit alignment is correct and that the bit is just above the centerline of the comm.

Does the lathe have a .05 or a 540 can drive motor? I have to use 4 cells on the 540 drive motor with the Cobra, and 3 cells on the .05 19t on the Orion quick set I have.
Jaz406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz406
Is the armature spinning toward you or away from you when you are cutting?

How does the cut look on the comm. when it's jumping? It cannot look good

I have to lathes and the arm spins away from me. also make sue bit alignment is correct and that the bit is just above the centerline of the comm.

Does the lathe have a .05 or a 540 can drive motor? I have to use 4 cells on the 540 drive motor with the Cobra, and 3 cells on the .05 19t on the Orion quick set I have.
The armature spins upwards into the bit which has its sharp cutting edge facing downwards. I'm thinking the drag of the cutting tool on the comm should thus hold it down into the V blocks. Have I got my head screwed on right?

I now realize the drive motor is mounted in slots, and I can lower the motor to put more tension on the drive ring. I'll give it another try. The bit, upon carefull examination, looks perfect.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:20 AM   #14
Tech Addict

Eureka! A perfect cut again. Must have been the drive tension and or position of the drive pulley. Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:31 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Can I ask you guys a question about my lathe. Running a carbide bit but it did it with my old diamond bit. When cutting I see the copper starts to group around the tip and Im worryign this is creating an imperfect cut. Do you think the bit is too high therefore the copper is getting stuck under it.
thecrow2k is offline   Reply With Quote