R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-15-2007, 02:02 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Not really. For the chips to get rolled back onto the comm and get pinched into the comm would require different circumstances. I use a couple drops of oil on the copper before cutting, the chips stick to that, too. Just finish your cut and spray it off, should be fine.
ROAR #105242
timmay70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:07 PM   #17
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to S.Heath

Sounds like it was running backward when it was jumping out of the v-blocks, and now that you tried it again, it's hooked up to the power correctly. I know it sounds simple... red to positive, black to negative, but it happens more often than we want to admit.
S.Heath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:16 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My cuts produce chips, not ribbons. You get ribbons?
Iceracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:23 PM   #19
Tech Master

I chipped my diamond and it acted the same way. Its very hard to tell when its chipped. They can be sharpened but it is very hard to find someone that does it.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:18 PM   #20
Team Tekin

Diamond bits are over rated. Mike Reedy never used one... Carbide bits are cheaper, last longer and are easy to find. Diamond bits can chip and you may never see it.

The whole point to cutting the comm is to keep it round, not smooth so much. Smooth is good, but what you're going for is roundness. This will keep brush bounce to a minimum, power at maximum. I've been told my multiple motor builders from Reedy, Orion, Putnam that a "cd" look is what you're going for. Glass finish won't get you any more performance.

You have to understand that you are "machining" metal, soft metal at that. Ideally you should reduce ANY vibration you can for a smoother, more round cut. This is reason alone to not let the o-ring ride on the windings. Let alone possibly ruining the arm by pushing in on the windings themselves. Use the arm's metal lamination stacks for the o ring to ride onl

Someone mentioned alignment of your blocks, if you've dropped or bumped your blocks really hard, get them aligned. This will start a taper cut on your comm that will be hard to fix/diagnose.

Someone also mentioned cut speed and lube. This are all dependent on personal preference and lathe drive motor,etc. I run a Xipp Pro 2 Lathe and it has some gear reduction to it via pulleys. I run mine with a Reedy Ti can, Stock arm set at 0 degrees, 4v. My lathe will shave almost powder like chips off. Don't take off too much material either, .001 to .002 each pass. Taking off more can actually deform the comm which is what you're trying to "fix."

Great to hear that you fixed it.
Randy Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 03:45 PM   #21
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BSchorr Send a message via Yahoo to BSchorr Send a message via Skype™ to BSchorr

i was thinking maybe his oring has strectch out some.
Old 02-17-2007, 03:53 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TL_XXX-S_racer

Randy Pike: Actually diamond bits last longer than the carbide bits. Yes, they are cheaper, and they give as good as cut as a diamond bit would. They have true diamond bits and ones that are a fake type. If you want to spend the money(150 or something like that). That is a true diamond bit. the fake ones are about 80 bucks, but are still better than the carbide. If its a real diamond, then it will be a little harder to chip, cause a diamond is the hardest gym. right?
I use a diamond bit on my lathe, the Integy Xipp, and it works awsome!

You just have to make sure the tip of the bit is center to the comm. Shim the armature a little so it does move back and forth while cutting. A thing I do, is put a pinion gear at the end of the shaft to help keep it from moving. put some oil on ur finger and press gently against the other end of the armature to hold it still. (and correct me on any of this if im wrong.)
Hope this helps,

Chris

Team Corally

Superior Hobbies
"Supplying all your r/c racing needs"
TL_XXX-S_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:08 PM   #23
Team Tekin

Correct you if you're wrong? I don' think that there's alot wrong or right, just different. Diamonds are the hardest "GEM" (not gym)however they too are cut and modified.

The biggest problem with diamond bits is just what you were elluding to. The set up is key, one wrong move and the bit is useless. I never said that a carbide bit lasts longer. Carbide is more forgiving and since he's already having some problems, I'd suggest sticking with them.
Old 02-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to TL_XXX-S_racer

Quote:
Carbide bits are cheaper, last longer and are easy to find.
You said last longer.

Team Corally

Superior Hobbies
"Supplying all your r/c racing needs"
TL_XXX-S_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:56 PM   #25
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to losi guy

I would use a carbide bit because i'v used both and the diamond bit lasts longer but you really can't notice much difference on the cuts.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:43 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Dragtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 12:51 AM   #27
Team Tekin

Carbide bits can be sharpened regularly with a diamond file. Come on guys, to each his own.