R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-14-2007, 04:37 PM   #16
J_P
Tech Addict

Everyone has a different idea of "far". When gas wasn't so high, I would go to Columbus Ohio in a heart beat: Six hours. Around here, a good track: Three hours. Just a place to race: 35 minutes.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:41 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Bob,

Sounds like you need to organize a "local" program.

Until our local carpet track closed I had about a 45-90min drive each way depending on traffic. The indoor asphalt track I am going to now is about 30min or so.

In the summer the track I see the most of is only 15min away with the next closest being about 30min drive. My favorite track is just short of a 3 hour drive and if they raced every weekend I wouldn't even think about the others.

For me itís nice to have the track close by but I am willing to spend a little extra time in the car if it means a better program, track, competition, and/or race my preferred class. Right now I would say I cap my drive time for 1/12th @ 1 hour, Nitro sedan @ 3 hours, other onroad @ 30min.

Mark
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:32 PM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to c1 racin Send a message via AIM to c1 racin Send a message via Yahoo to c1 racin

AS FAR AS IT TAKES!

First off there's a group of 4 of us that have been racing together since about 1990. We all live in Gulfport, MS.

We started out racing in the parking lot of Hobby Town in Mobile, AL which is about a 1 hour and 15 minute drive. Just about the same time they stopped racing, we started racing at Hurricane MotorSports in Theodore, AL which is about a 1 hour drive. When they closed shop, we headed to Hobby Central in Pensacola, FL which is about a 2 hour and 15 minute drive. Also, every now and then when SmallCars Unlimited in Jackson, MS which is 3 hours and 30 minutes away has raced ROAR or State races we've been there.

The Hobby Town in Mobile has started racing again and we've started racing there again. We would/will still race at the Hobby Central track if we knew they were going to start back up again.

On a side note, a Bass Pro Shops Series has started in Jackson, MS by RCRacingXtreme which is around 3 hours and 15 minutes away. The series is one weekend each month starting this month until October. So we'll be driving that once a month I'm sure!

So, how far is too far?
c1 racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:56 PM   #19
Tech Fanatic

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1 racin
AS FAR AS IT TAKES!

First off there's a group of 4 of us that have been racing together since about 1990. We all live in Gulfport, MS.

We started out racing in the parking lot of Hobby Town in Mobile, AL which is about a 1 hour and 15 minute drive. Just about the same time they stopped racing, we started racing at Hurricane MotorSports in Theodore, AL which is about a 1 hour drive. When they closed shop, we headed to Hobby Central in Pensacola, FL which is about a 2 hour and 15 minute drive. Also, every now and then when SmallCars Unlimited in Jackson, MS which is 3 hours and 30 minutes away has raced ROAR or State races we've been there.

The Hobby Town in Mobile has started racing again and we've started racing there again. We would/will still race at the Hobby Central track if we knew they were going to start back up again.

On a side note, a Bass Pro Shops Series has started in Jackson, MS by RCRacingXtreme which is around 3 hours and 15 minutes away. The series is one weekend each month starting this month until October. So we'll be driving that once a month I'm sure!

So, how far is too far?
Don't forget to mention that big ol' trailer you haul with you !
Old 02-14-2007, 05:56 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

For me..

Outdoor asphalt track, 1hr there, 2hrs get back (traffic). Only do it once every 2mons
Indoor asphalt track, 30mins there, 30mins back. EVERYWEEK...
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:04 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

30 minutes to one of the nicest (if not the nicest) indoor "rug" track in North America....

Now, we just need an indoor off-road track.

duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:18 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Is that Fastcats in Oakville? I've heard that's a good track.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:42 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey
Is that Fastcats in Oakville? I've heard that's a good track.
That would be the one!!!!!!!!!!............duckman this ones for you HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Kropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:44 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to Johnny_S.

Socal RC Raceway: 20-30 mins surface streets.
Revelation Raceway: 30 mins freeway
Pegasus: 30 mins freeway
Hotbox (big open basher track): 10 mins away
Johnny_S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:51 PM   #25
Suspended

Default San Diego to Huntington Beach..

I used to live in San Diego and race So Cal Raceway three days a week..200 miles round trip , worth it every time its the ONLY indoor asphault/off road track in the state..You get the best of both worlds touring/offroad and get to race the Biggest names in R/C......Jon Kerr , Patrick and Don are in the same boat ..
CAlbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:52 PM   #26
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebiki
depends on where you live. traffic in socal is so bad.. the distance we travel in 45 mins is probably equivalent to 10mins elsewhere in the country

but ive gone as far as 90 mins one way to race during a weekend.

I used to live in So. california, and you are right..... 8 hr drive from one side of LA to the other....lol
Old 02-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to c1 racin Send a message via AIM to c1 racin Send a message via Yahoo to c1 racin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus Racing
Don't forget to mention that big ol' trailer you haul with you !
you talking about this one?...heheh

only two I could find
c1 racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:06 PM   #28
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to The8BitHero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Stormer
This'll will either bum you out or make you feel pretty darn good about your weekend.

We club race in Billings Montana, also, based on distance, it includes an overnight hotel stay. Just shy of 600 miles round trip.

I've calculated the price of club racing for us. Doesn't include any RC parts.

Gas @$2.50 107.00
Food, 80.00 (12 meals)
entry fees 75.00 (I pay for all of our guys)
Hotel, 65.00

Works out to about $320 to attend a club race. That's before you figure in wear and tear and depreciation on the vehicle we're driving. We have a vehicle that only goes on trips and to races. Usually 20-30 events on a vehicle and it has 25-40,000 miles on it. I estimate about $600-$1000 per trip in vehicle depreciation. 2 year old vehicle that cost $50k is now worth less than $30k, that's a $20,000 loss. Maybe a $.80 to $1.00 per mile in vehicle deprecitation.

Lethbridge, 3 weeks ago, 850 miles
Just got back from Billings, 600 miles
We have Regina this weekend, 600 miles
Spokane next weekend, 1400 miles
Colorado, 3 weeks from now, 1750 miles (should fly, but were not)

Bunch more scheduled well into the end of May.

5200 vehicle miles in about 6-7 weeks.

JEEZ, I'm starting to bum myself out!!!!
Now THATS dedication... and you forgot tolls
The8BitHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:18 PM   #29
Tech Champion

Well living on an island you can't drive real far to get to a race...Currently my on-road race takes me 10 to 20 minutes to get to. The off-road race would be about 30 to 40 minutes if I raced it. The longest I've gone specifically to race was a 5-6 hour plane ride Unless you want to count business trips where I happened to also race which would be 8 to 10 hours in flight time.
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 07:26 PM   #30
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i've driven from toronto to the middle of illinois to race offroad in the middle of winter. i went to school there and the guys i race with are irreplaceable!! i could break every part on every car i race that weekend and i would drive away smiling like a little kid that just conned his mom into another ice cream cone i may break that record though...looks like i'll be in germany for some of june and most of july, might have to ship some gear over to race a little
adam lancia is offline   Reply With Quote