R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-14-2007, 04:09 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB
But RC magazines are one of the few media outlets advertising RC to new people, and despite what people think it's not easy to do, or cheap.
It's just paper, can't get much cheaper than that. We need a break on our advertising...

<----self proclaimed "internet expert".

looking for....vintage 1/10-1/12 pan, need Schumacher 1/12th cars and parts.
Bob-Stormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:20 PM   #17
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by James35
Derek,
In my opinion, I feel that cycles have nothing to do with the lack of racing content in today's magazines. Regardless of what is hot, there is almost no racing covered in the magazines. Even the biggest races only get a couple of pages of content.

I'm sorry but do you read XRC Magazine? I have to say that your statement is false when I look at our magazine.

I'll give you page counts of race coverage in the past 6 months.

Oct 2006
ROAR 1/8-Buggy Nats- 8 pages

Nov 2006
Roar 1/10 E. Off Road Nats 7 pages

Dec 2006
IIC-8 pages
X-Games 4 pages

Jan 2007
24 hour race-5 pages

Saturday Series-3 pages

Roar Nats-7 pages

Feb 2007
RC Pro Series Final-10 pages

Mar 2007
None -Slow month of racing other than carpet racing and we cover too many of those races.

I had some odd error so I had to edit this post. But we try to cover at least 1 race a month, and not get into the covering every race and only putting a page or 2 on them. Right now there are way too many "big races" and they all can't be in the magazine.

Racing is only a small percentage of the hobby, and unfortunately I have the data from manufacturers to support that.

Also the internet has changed magazine race coverage. Not so much ours because we took a different approach to racing than others years ago. You can get the "results" immediately, the other stuff we put in race coverage (you don't have to like it) isn't found online.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:21 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to burbs Send a message via Yahoo to burbs

thats how it works.. us oval guys have been complaining for years how we never see anything on oval racing.. Now its going that way for sedans.. glad to hear... Whatever pays the saleries of the people for the mag is what gets printed.. if someone came up to you and said hey ill give you 3000 dollars if you ditch the sedan your playing with and go beat the crap out of this monster truck, what would you do??? I say 3 grand, cause i heard thats what car action gets for a half page in there mag..
burbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:30 PM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to SpeedDesignz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbob
Is there a magazine that supports this aspect of the hobby anymore?
RCtech.net is the only magazine you'll ever need.
And you wont have to flip through 10 pages of Traxxas advertisements.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:31 PM   #20
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbs
thats how it works.. us oval guys have been complaining for years how we never see anything on oval racing.. Now its going that way for sedans.. glad to hear... Whatever pays the saleries of the people for the mag is what gets printed.. if someone came up to you and said hey ill give you 3000 dollars if you ditch the sedan your playing with and go beat the crap out of this monster truck, what would you do??? I say 3 grand, cause i heard thats what car action gets for a half page in there mag..

I'm sure this will upset you, but that's what I do.

A. that's all Oval guys seem to do is complain. I can't count the times I've offered to try and help promote oval by offering oval manufacturers to send me press release of their product, but I can count the times I've gotten something on one hand...in 7 years.

B. Advertising dollar plays a small part on what races we cover. We cover what is popular, and what is popular is advertised. It's the chicken or the egg on that one. But we obviously NOT spend the money we get from advertising and cover the people who don't advertise all the time. But we do cover races and events that aren't advertised heavily.

C. RCCA doesn't get near 3K for a half page...if you know anybody paying that I've got a bridge to sell them..and a full page in our magazine for that same price....(isn't the internet great for mis-information).

D. The world works around money and business relationships. Why people have some issue with that is crazy to me.
Old 02-14-2007, 05:27 PM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerbob
I think a mag is something I could keep.. refer to..

Also I used to trust these guys.. they were not factory drivers from any one company and they used to do head to head tests..

For example.. if I wanted a review of the new Mi3... where do I go?? to get a real review from someone who has no vested interest in saying it is awsome... yes I know advertising.. but at least you would get flaws or frustrations pointed out..

Even websites that used to do a lot of that... are gone..

Ho hum...

In most cases do you seriously think that the magazine reviews are unbiased? Come on James - are you kidding???

Realistically if you want a true review of a car - the information found in the magazines is only a start... the stuff you find online is better, getting advise about the car from someone in your area is the best - but except from getting the car in your own hands and giving it a try, you can only base your decision on what you speculate the car will be like.

Back to reality....

Based on your own publicly announced stance that your 8 year-old car is just as competitive as most of the cars on the market, I am sure that you can find some reviews of cars in the old RC Car Action Magazines at FastCats to satisfy your urges...
duckman996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 05:37 PM   #22
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996
In most cases do you seriously think that the magazine reviews are unbiased? Come on James - are you kidding???

Realistically if you want a true review of a car - the information found in the magazines is only a start... the stuff you find online is better, getting advise about the car from someone in your area is the best - but except from getting the car in your own hands and giving it a try, you can only base your decision on what you speculate the car will be like.

Back to reality....

Based on your own publicly announced stance that your 8 year-old car is just as competitive as most of the cars on the market, I am sure that you can find some reviews of cars in the old RC Car Action Magazines at FastCats to satisfy your urges...

Actually reviews are more unbiased than you want to give credit, although EVERYBODY is biased...you are biased because you bought a kit or two, so you will want to think it's better than it is.

Coming from a magazine, I have the ability to test all cars, something others don't. I don't pay for them, so there's no I bought it syndrome, yes there is the advertiser side of things, but realistically ALL the companies advertise. So they don't want me to give points to another kit because it devalues theirs.

The only real place you can compare kits accurately is in a shoot out with all the same gear on the same day. Our reviews are not comparing the kit in the review to every kit tested because the conditions are different, the gear is different, but we know what we are doing and our opinion is more valuable than the internet, because of that.

The internet will help solve problems, figure out setups, things we can't do because we can't spend 3 months driving one car.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:01 PM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
Actually reviews are more unbiased than you want to give credit, although EVERYBODY is biased...you are biased because you bought a kit or two, so you will want to think it's better than it is.

Coming from a magazine, I have the ability to test all cars, something others don't. I don't pay for them, so there's no I bought it syndrome, yes there is the advertiser side of things, but realistically ALL the companies advertise. So they don't want me to give points to another kit because it devalues theirs.

The only real place you can compare kits accurately is in a shoot out with all the same gear on the same day. Our reviews are not comparing the kit in the review to every kit tested because the conditions are different, the gear is different, but we know what we are doing and our opinion is more valuable than the internet, because of that.

The internet will help solve problems, figure out setups, things we can't do because we can't spend 3 months driving one car.
Interesting POV....

Have you ever ran a review on a car with a failing grade? Not that I remember seeing, but I don't read every issue.

Not to throw hot stones at your magazine as it is the only RC mag that I would consider picking-up - but the bias is that if a manufacture sent you a POS car (or anything) for a review, and they were prepared to advertise with at multi-issue commitment, would you list that their car (or motor, or whatever) was bunk?

At the end of the day, the reviews in the magazines can HELP a person decide if the car they are interested in buying has the features they want - but until they get that car in their hands, there will be no true review of how well that car works for them.... isallIamsayin'
Old 02-14-2007, 06:15 PM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckman996
Interesting POV....

Have you ever ran a review on a car with a failing grade? Not that I remember seeing, but I don't read every issue.

Not to throw hot stones at your magazine as it is the only RC mag that I would consider picking-up - but the bias is that if a manufacture sent you a POS car (or anything) for a review, and they were prepared to advertise with at multi-issue commitment, would you list that their car (or motor, or whatever) was bunk?

At the end of the day, the reviews in the magazines can HELP a person decide if the car they are interested in buying has the features they want - but until they get that car in their hands, there will be no true review of how well that car works for them.... isallIamsayin'

What is failing, like I said each car is judge on that day for conditions. Out of all the TC kits out there which one to you fails? And why?

If I got a POS car, it doesn't go in, there's more than enough good stuff out there to not put it in.

I never said our opinion, is the end all be all, but I can tell you what I can tell you that from the cars I have driven which I like better. I can't review cars for YOU, but we can review them in general.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:23 PM   #25
Tech Master

Jeff Eveleigh, since he's Canadian, said everybody should just pay him for his thoughts, and never listen to magazines or websites. Just Jeff.
Old 02-14-2007, 06:29 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Default xrc

Hate to interupt, but I would just like to say XRC has got to be the most informative mag that i've found on the shelves! Next to the good people at the local Hobbytown and this forum I think it's pretty top shelf. Not everything is covered that I want info on but enough to make me sign on for another year

Thanks for a good read.
Jeff Johnson
J&L Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #27
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&L Johnson
Hate to interupt, but I would just like to say XRC has got to be the most informative mag that i've found on the shelves! Next to the good people at the local Hobbytown and this forum I think it's pretty top shelf. Not everything is covered that I want info on but enough to make me sign on for another year

Thanks for a good read.
Jeff Johnson
Sign it up!!!

And just because you came in, I'm hooking all that read this thread up with the secret link to our online version...it will be secure shortly so enjoy it while you can...

http://xrcmag.idigitaledition.com/
Old 02-14-2007, 09:00 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I agree with J&L
xrc is a very good magazine, u cant complain about adds adds are every where and an important part of economies.
xrc has the best how to and best racing coverage sure id like to see them review the kyosho stallion and the comming kyosho ultima rb5 but im one person in a million, i can only hope the other half agree and ill see a review.
the way i see it u have to take good with bad, the chicks dont interest me about xrc and it s right now very nitro orientated but the electric and painting stuff they cover is always quality info, i like hearing bout american and international racers (im in australia).
just accept it a magazine wont always have everything u want to read after all its a compromise made for a diverse community.
cheers Derek keep up the good work,
BTW what happended to collin? havnt heard him cop shit for months?
M11
SP GT
SP 5.5,17.5
aus jd 2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 10:45 PM   #29
Tech Master

Quote:

If I got a POS car, it doesn't go in, there's more than enough good stuff out there to not put it in.
That is good to see - except, would it not be more of a service to let the readers know about the "junk" stuff that is out there? Not to say that there is tons in this hobby - however, advising readers of what may be a waste of money (kinda like clean clothes on Jeff - ) may grant a service that even further separates you from the other magazines out there.

Again - as I mentioned in my earlier post, I think XRC is a great mag... the only one I pick up and go through, but I am just pointing out that there will always be some variance of opinion based on who is doing the testing - no-one can be 100% unbiased, even if they get their equipment for free.

At the end of the day, it's the consumer that needs to make a final decision on what car they want, basing their purchase on all the information out there... magazine articles, internet reports from users, and company advertising - et al.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:48 PM   #30
Tech Master

Quote:
What is failing, like I said each car is judge on that day for conditions. Out of all the TC kits out there which one to you fails? And why?
BTW - do you want someone to answer - or is this a statement?