R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-12-2007, 11:24 PM   #16
40%
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

that happens often at the track..and sometimes i do find extra tools in my tool box which is not mine.

I would just bring em back the next week and ask everyone at the track if they lost something last week and what i found.The most common thing is when we're not at the pit tables somebody would just use the tools from another pit table and forgot where they took it from and place em in your box.
40% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:41 PM   #17
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

It's not always racers stealing from racers -- any time you have a gathering like this, especially on I-Drive in Orlando, or Vegas, etc., it's quite possible you're going to attract professional thieves and cons at some point. They don't really steal RC gear because it is useless to them, they want something they can move on eBay or fence somewhere for cheap. So things like personal electronics, cell phones, iPods, wallets, purses, and on and on.

I know that as racers we get very much used to leaving our gear on our table and stepping away for a heat or a bite to eat or whatever else, but at these big events, it's impossible for the staff to watch everybody and everything. I just don't think we should immediately turn around and blame each other.

Now something like what happened at The Gate in Cleveland, is sadly a different story.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:08 AM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureal

Now something like what happened at The Gate in Cleveland, is sadly a different story.
Tell me more ,what happened?
loopedeloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:14 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

doesnt sound like something a true racer would steal? who wants wallets or ipod? a real racer would take their cars and gear. sorry but im just thing like a thief and i figure they werent there for the racing they knew what was going and planned to knick stuff. that sucks. at my track u cant steal stuff every ones mates, but when a meet is the size of snow birds itd be hard to know every one lol.
i like josh to that really sucks
M11
SP GT
SP 5.5,17.5
aus jd 2703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:20 AM   #20
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

The news has been reporting about identity theft a lot lately, and specifically mentioned parts of Florida as a "hotbed" of activity for that sort of thing. If you had a wallet stolen there, I'd be extremely vigilant with canceling your cards, watching your credit, etc.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:40 AM   #21
Tech Regular

be it a racer or not the f*****s should be strung up in the carpark and each and every racer/organiser should get 2 mins with the theiving little shits and a soldering iron to do as they will!!! That should put people off doing it again
Boosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:10 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell
Default UK based

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopedeloop
Does this mean fellow RACERS are thieving or can anyone go thru to the pits?

)
i`ve been '@about 4-5 clubs in 20 yrs that have had stuff taken & all the time it was `outsiders` who done it
visitors,spectators, opportunist, passer bys just popping in to see whats going on

Non racer Entry`s should be vetted before allowed in (to much money @ stake now & it will get worse

A few clubs now have a signing in book now & Strangers are kept a close eye on
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:45 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by futureal
It's not always racers stealing from racers -- any time you have a gathering like this, especially on I-Drive in Orlando, or Vegas, etc., it's quite possible you're going to attract professional thieves and cons at some point. They don't really steal RC gear because it is useless to them, they want something they can move on eBay or fence somewhere for cheap. So things like personal electronics, cell phones, iPods, wallets, purses, and on and on.

I know that as racers we get very much used to leaving our gear on our table and stepping away for a heat or a bite to eat or whatever else, but at these big events, it's impossible for the staff to watch everybody and everything. I just don't think we should immediately turn around and blame each other.

Totally true point and what I was going to say! You got to watch out for the non-racers that can pawn anything off for a crack rock If its a racer, thats truely a shame that they would have to stoop so low to gank sh-t like that!! If anyone is ever caught they should for sure be used as an example and the news should be spread like butter!!

Keep an eye out for your brothers and neighbors

Digs
Old 02-13-2007, 07:04 AM   #24
Tech Adept

i think we are to trusting we leave all our gear on our pit tables ipods wallets phones etc and all our expensive race gear and walk off go have a chat with someone go race all the while we have left alot of monys worth of equipment on our tables.
it only takes a secound for someone to grab it and put something in there pockets.
skiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 07:39 AM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It is easy for us to get angry and post flaming posts of what we want to do to theives. I hate them like the next man. I have had many things stolen over the course of time including an entire r/c car, controller, and batteries (but they did not take the charger, dumb smucks). The best thing that we can do, especially at big races is to use the buddy system. We need to watch each others' backs and question people that are wandering around the pit areas that aren't racers or with the people that are racing. We don't want the spectator/potential new racer to feel shut out by not allowing them to see what we do and ask questions but we do need to make sure that these same people are not the ones robbing us. If you see someone that is not a racer or pit person reaching for something on someone else's pit table and that racer is not at said table, ask them what are they doing. As my grandfather use to say, you see with your eyes, not your hands. And, if they get offended, that is tough and ask them to leave the area but note a physical description, etc so that if something does come up missing, you can give a description of the person/people you saw acting suspiciously in the pit area. If it is a fellow racer that is caught stealing, he should be banned from racing, period, and with the cost of what we use, charged with felony thief.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:38 AM   #26
Tech Apprentice

At our club we have changed school halls on various occations, but the one that annoyed me the most was when a brand new pack of cells of mine got stolen, by these kid's. Then they were gone, and we tried to find them in the car, but they were well gone... was when the 3700's world first came out i had saved up for them,.... i was furious... so now at our club, people who arnt with anyone who is racing is not permitted into the hall...
luke humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:58 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
The news has been reporting about identity theft a lot lately, and specifically mentioned parts of Florida as a "hotbed" of activity for that sort of thing. If you had a wallet stolen there, I'd be extremely vigilant with canceling your cards, watching your credit, etc.

Ya Know! This is not just a florida thing pal! Just because the news said it is. This thing happens everywhere!

There are other places in the U.S that most company's wont sell to because of theft, and it isnt in Florida. Go ahead keep believing the news.

Main thing that attracts the thieves to certain areas is the fact that most places this happens in has a large transcient population, where people are visiting for a short time ( ex: NYC, L.A, Disney, Seatle, any big tourist area).

Would you leave any belonging of yours alone at any airport? Why would a hotel be any different. Yes Orlando has its share of problems as does south beach, But Kansas city isnt an excemption either.

The thing is its not just one place the problem is world wide, dont say its one place or mostley because " the news said so".

We all as a group need to be on the look out at these big hotel events or anywhere there is a race. We need to watch each other stuff.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:45 AM   #28
R/C Tech Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by loopedeloop
Tell me more ,what happened?
They had a good amount of racing equipment stolen from the track after hours; a few of them left their gear set up and came back to find the most expensive bits missing.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:13 PM   #29
Tech Addict

We have very little if any theft at Tamiya on the weekends however when people get up to go get lunch or something they will always ask a buddy or pit mate to watch their stuff. I think the majority of all thefts tend to be by non R/C'ers and also tend to occur in more theft prone nieghborhoods which many tracks are located in because the rent is cheaper.

If you get up to leave have a buddy keep tabs.
Never leave wallets, watched and personal electronics in a tempting location.
If it's rare, desirable or shiny don't flaunt it.
Keep aware of your surroundings.

Following these simple rules can greatly cut down on theft.

There are also personal security defises out there that can put a secure perimeter arounf your pit space and emit a tone if the space is comprimised but that may be taking it a step to far.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 12:51 PM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Thief's at the Races

At the Indoor Champs I remember hearing that a laptop had been ganked.
Does anyone know if that was recovered?

I heard it announced twice but heard nothing else about it.
ldp787 is offline   Reply With Quote