R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-13-2007, 02:17 PM   #136
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I think the first thing that people need to learn is basic mechanical skills and attention to detail. Doesn't matter if you have a TT-01 or the latest carbon fiber masterpiece. They both run the same after you've run it for a few months and only touch it to change batteries and replace broken parts.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:19 PM   #137
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muahdib4
I was just saying that some people say that to me....because they want to feel superior and special.

where do you race at that everyone is so obsessed with other peoples gear? If it makes you feel better driving a so called older model then so be it but stop trying to pass off the new models as a placibo. I think its been beaten to death that it is a total package of Driver, Chasis, Well prepared equipment and a little luck that makes for consistent winning. It doesn't matter what order you want to put it.

How much do you want to bet that the guy winning with an older model car can even improve on thier own time with a newer model. Why compare a nice car driven by a hack vs an older model car with f1 champion driving it.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:19 PM   #138
Tech Elite

Quote:
I think you have to learn to drive before you worry about anything else. If you can't drive...a new chassis isn't going to help. Unless of course you just want the new chassis to show off then by all means upgrade.
I will say that some chassis are easier to put together, setup and drive than others though. Some are more resilient than others when it comes to crashing as well. And less wrenching time always equals more track time with which to learn the driving skills.

I started off with a non-XRAY and always ended up fixing things more than I did running laps. Then I bought the old tank FK04 and had way more track time each week with which to improve the driving skills.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:22 PM   #139
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

And if you think that all the cars are the same, look at Barry Baker. He was struggling to make mains with his old ride, he is now competing for wins.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #140
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash
I think the first thing that people need to learn is basic mechanical skills and attention to detail.
Ain't that the truth. People who know me always laughed when I told them things like my camber was set at 2.25d and the droop is at 1.25mm.

My latest phrase to newbies is, 'consistency in the pits brings consistency on the track'.

And if you want to shave tenths off your lap times, then a quarter of a mm makes a difference, as does a couple of inches off the optimum driving line.
Un-sponsored Shoutout: NexusRacing.com
*** 301 Raceway is my home away from Home ***
teamgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #141
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M.
where do you race at that everyone is so obsessed with other peoples gear? If it makes you feel better driving a so called older model then so be it but stop trying to pass off the new models as a placibo. I think its been beaten to death that it is a total package of Driver, Chasis, Well prepared equipment and a little luck that makes for consistent winning. It doesn't matter what order you want to put it.

How much do you want to bet that the guy winning with an older model car can even improve on thier own time with a newer model. Why compare a nice car driven by a hack vs an older model car with f1 champion driving it.
It's not the people at my track...it's the people on these forums who are obsessed with gear (just like me). I made the comparisons to show that driver ability means MORE than chassis design. Chassis design won't turn you into a winner...only driving ability will.
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:25 PM   #142
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Smash
And if you think that all the cars are the same, look at Barry Baker. He was struggling to make mains with his old ride, he is now competing for wins.
Yep, it couldn't have been practice that had anything to do with it. Perhaps he put in more practice time with the new chassis to dial it in...naahhh...just easier to say he won because of the new chassis.
KC/RC Drift Movement
Old 02-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #143
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgp
I will say that some chassis are easier to put together, setup and drive than others though. Some are more resilient than others when it comes to crashing as well. And less wrenching time always equals more track time with which to learn the driving skills.

I started off with a non-XRAY and always ended up fixing things more than I did running laps. Then I bought the old tank FK04 and had way more track time each week with which to improve the driving skills.
agree 100%
sinisterRC - High Performance R/C
sinisterRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:30 PM   #144
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Yep, it couldn't have been practice that had anything to do with it. Perhaps he put in more practice time with the new chassis to dial it in...naahhh...just easier to say he won because of the new chassis.

It is easy to say it because the difference in performance was dramatic. Why do you think AE is designing a new car and releasing a new one? There previous history shown that they usually hold on to thier models a little longer.
Francis M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:33 PM   #145
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M.
It is easy to say it because the difference in performance was dramatic. Why do you think AE is designing a new car and releasing a new one? There previous history shown that they usually hold on to thier models a little longer.
Yes but the TC4 was also a sales flop so of course they're releasing a new one..based on roughly the same design as everyone else. I really doubt it had to do with the fact that one guy wasn't competeing for wins. I seem to remember a FT TC4 won the Reedy Race of Champions in 2005. So it was a competitive chassis.
KC/RC Drift Movement
Old 02-13-2007, 02:45 PM   #146
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

yeah Barry decided he didn't want to win anymore so he stopped practicing. haha Your argument is lost. Chassis makes a difference. It's that simple.

Quote:
Duratrax ICE
porschejim911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:45 PM   #147
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:

ok I'm officially annoyed.

Here it is in plain english.

1. Ofcourse driver is the most important element no one has argued that point. I suck driving, it's the truth. To me it wont matter if I am driving a 2008 prototype with all the bells and whistles, I will lose to an A main driver in a freakin Bolink Legend! In my situation chassis does not matter. But if I have the means to purchase the latest and greatest then so be it. I buy the kit completely understanding that my lap times will not suddenly drop. Pretty simple.

2. Now If a pro driver with optimal driving skills, (you know Hara, Paul L.) gets to test a brand new design: T2 007, RDX, Mi3 etc... I would bet the farm that they would get consistently better lap times in a newer design than say last years design, why you ask? Well these pro drivers give their engineers feedback on how the car can be improved upon, thus designing and creating a better kit! Wow!!

You used M. Schumacher in an example earlier.

I guarantee you schumacher could win on any chassis, but he would have his favorite. One that handles slighlty better, or powers through the track just a hair faster. One of those chassis would get consistently better lap times than the others.

We as racers want every little bit of advantage we can muster up. I tell you this I can drive my T2 better than I drove my HPI Pro2!
sinisterRC - High Performance R/C
sinisterRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #148
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisterRC
ok I'm officially annoyed.

Here it is in plain english.

1. Ofcourse driver is the most important element no one has argued that point. I suck driving, it's the truth. To me it wont matter if I am driving a 2008 prototype with all the bells and whistles, I will lose to an A main driver in a freakin Bolink Legend! In my situation chassis does not matter. But if I have the means to purchase the latest and greatest then so be it. I buy the kit completely understanding that my lap times will not suddenly drop. Pretty simple.

2. Now If a pro driver with optimal driving skills, (you know Hara, Paul L.) gets to test a brand new design: T2 007, RDX, Mi3 etc... I would bet the farm that they would get consistently better lap times in a newer design than say last years design, why you ask? Well these pro drivers give their engineers feedback on how the car can be improved upon, thus designing and creating a better kit! Wow!!

You used M. Schumacher in an example earlier.

I guarantee you schumacher could win on any chassis, but he would have his favorite. One that handles slighlty better, or powers through the track just a hair faster. One of those chassis would get consistently better lap times than the others.

We as racers want every little bit of advantage we can muster up. I tell you this I can drive my T2 better than I drove my HPI Pro2!
You drive the T2 better then the Pro2 and I'm sure there was no experience gap there. You haven't gotten more wheel time in general...the wheel time with the Pro2 didn't help you continually improve to the point you are now? Nahhh...that had nothing to do with it...just a better chassis.
KC/RC Drift Movement
Old 02-13-2007, 02:50 PM   #149
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TeamButter

Quote:
You got one thing right...you're an absolute waste of time. I didn't change ANYTHING to serve my comments..I've stayed consistent in saying it's the driver not the chassis. Yep, you just pulled the same crap a few other sponsored drivers have tried...get into debate (arguement)...start losing to me...bring up fact that you're sponsored...throw out arbitrary wins off topic...in the end attack what I really enjoy racing. Again...because you're sponsored. It's all good though. I'm sure we'll just go at it again in another thread and you'll do the same thing again when someone doesn't bow before the glory (hole) that is XRay.
Thank you. Look forward to seeing you back up your keyboard courage in person. All hail me!!!!! LMFAO!!!!!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:52 PM   #150
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamButter
Thank you. Look forward to seeing you back up your keyboard courage in person. All hail me!!!!! LMFAO!!!!!
I'm at Fastlane RC every Sunday...see you there. If you need the address it's at www.fastlanehobby.com.
KC/RC Drift Movement