Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problem with Take-off tyres

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 01:53 PM
Tech Addict

Default Problem with Take-off tyres

I've been using Take-off 27's recently as they are cheap and work well on most of the local tracks. However I have a problem. After 2-3 runs they start to develop a crease on the inside edge which makes the tyre unusable after 4-5 runs. The front tyres are worst affected.

I've tried rotating my tyres and reducing my camber from 2 to 1 degrees and still the problem is there, I think it's the insert the tyres come with not being quite wide enough.

Does anyone else have this problem and what are you doing about it.
Old 03-17-2003, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Problem with Take-off tyres

Originally posted by JohnA
I've been using Take-off 27's recently as they are cheap and work well on most of the local tracks. However I have a problem. After 2-3 runs they start to develop a crease on the inside edge which makes the tyre unusable after 4-5 runs. The front tyres are worst affected.

I've tried rotating my tyres and reducing my camber from 2 to 1 degrees and still the problem is there, I think it's the insert the tyres come with not being quite wide enough.

Does anyone else have this problem and what are you doing about it.
only thing I can think of is your tweak set properly? I have noticed when the tweak is off the tires will grove like that
Old 03-17-2003, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Are these the pre-mounted units?? In addition to camber, you may want to change toe setting. I've never had a problem with the CS27's and I run 0-2 degrees toe in on front and 2 degrees rear. Camber set at -1 degree. Is the car running soft springs ?? How about anti roll bars??

Last edited by Evoracer; 03-17-2003 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Are you getting the extremly fast wear on the NEW set of tire's with the -1 camber??? If you ran all of your tire's with -2 and then went to -1 they may have already started wearing badly from the first camber setting. It could also be something small that we all may be over looking but from the other replies to your question all of the bases should be covered.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:28 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for all the replies. They aren't the pre-mounted ones but the matched tyre/insert(blue medium) combo. I've also tried the tyres with sorrex firm type B inserts.

I'm running -1 camber all round 2 deg rear toe & 0 deg front toe. The car is an Atlas type T, with a quite stiff set-up. Atlas blue springs, heavy sway bar front, medium rear. I'm sure it's the tyres/inserts, I tried some pit shimizu's at the week end and the wear on those was very even.

The wear on the take-offs was using new tyres with the 1 deg se-up, after 3 runs you could see excessive wear on the inside edge.

Last edited by JohnA; 03-17-2003 at 04:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default I have received some of these tires

and they have thse groves that are metioned...I don't know why this has happened only cause I received them all when I bought the car
Old 03-17-2003, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

When you say a crease what do you mean? I think you are meaning a grove near the inside edge. I have had this before several times with Yokomos and also Take Offs. Camber has no affect from my experience. It is to do with your inserts being too soft if anything and the tyre wanting to roll of the rim so therefore wears in that area.

It may look bad but does not actually make that much difference to the average-good drivers. In fact my Take Offs are down to the belt on one tyre and still I haven't really noticed any drop off in performance.

cya
Old 03-17-2003, 04:41 PM
Tech Master

How much caster do you run? When you run lots of caster, the outside turning wheel gets tilted a lot onto the inner edge of the tire. Actually, isn't that where the edge of the belt is? I notice this happens to tires more when there is a lot of air gap. When you run a real car tire when it's half flat, you scuff up the sidewalls don't you? Basically the same thing when you run a lot of air gap. Anyway, I got many used 27s from a guy running mod electric with them. I've run them for 2 race weekends on my nitro car and they still haven't come apart yet. I dunno, they are irritating to look at but they still work fine for me.
Old 03-17-2003, 05:55 PM
Tech Elite

Unhappy Problem with Take-off tyres

Soft, too soft of an insert will cause the grooving on the inside edge. Too much Air gap also. Usually only happens with the Front tires. Rotate them to extend the life of the tires.
Better if you can reduce the Air gap with firmer inserts, but track conditions may not allow this.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

hey john,
there was actually a larger thread posted a while ago about this very phenomenon happening with the take offs. most of us call it ribbing. it happened to me as well with the take offs. the blue insert leaves more of a gap, which, like pops stated, i agree is the primary cause of this patern. the early take offs had a thicker black insert in them that was awesome for wear. i think that's how they got such a great rep for durability. the newer combo, though, does produce a better grip. i'm guessing it may be more taylored to competitive racers (not that you aren't ) since they often run rubber tires only 3-4 times before tossing them. just a guess.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

Seaball to the rescue again! I'll have a search for the old thread and try a few different inserts to see how they work. And who said C final racing wasn't competetive
Old 03-18-2003, 08:32 AM
Tech Initiate

I had the same problem. My car had a push going into the turn and 10 degrees of caster. This caused the tire to lean a lot in the turn. I went to +1 degree camber (tilted out at the top) and that evened up the tire ware. The real solution, though, is to get rid of the push.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Default A little sideways on the topic

Guys;

Now that it has been mentioned.........

How many of you chuck your Tires after 3 or so runs.?
I always run mine down to the belt/insert and have never noticed a difference in grip just after a few runs.
Old 03-18-2003, 01:46 PM
Regional Moderator

I run mine until I see some thread or insert material
Old 03-18-2003, 07:41 PM
PW
Tech Elite

JohnA....Popsracer and seaball nailed it. The inserts are to soft and the tire is rolling onto the inner rib of the rim. Take-Off offers a Medium-Hard Blue insert that may help you if conditions allow for firmer inserts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.