R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-18-2003, 08:54 PM   #16
Tech Addict

I'll get some more a try at the weekend with some hard inserts and see how they go. Thanks for the input everyone.
JohnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 09:36 PM   #17
Tech Addict

I'll get some more a try at the weekend with some hard inserts and see how they go. Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:57 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Re: A little sideways on the topic

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

Now that it has been mentioned.........

How many of you chuck your Tires after 3 or so runs.?
I always run mine down to the belt/insert and have never noticed a difference in grip just after a few runs.
I don;t chuck mine but I do feel a difference. Only on carpet though. I run the heck out of tires on asphalt, but on carpet they start to have a weird inconsistant feeling when they wear out.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:08 AM   #19
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to JesseT

Sorex type B leaves too big an air gap. The older black/grey insert were ok. I think they are the same as the Yokomo 37 range. MH is fine outdoors and M is fine for carpet. M was the one that came with the take-off cs tires earlier.
JesseT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2003, 03:52 PM   #20
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

With the Takeoff's I wouldn't chuck them after 3-4 runs, but I could definitely notice a difference. After about 6-7 runs I'd throw a new set on, and use the others for practice. Yet another reason i like foams better...no inserts to deal with...and no real handling difference as you use the tires (provided you don't chunk them).
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2003, 11:48 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnA
Seaball to the rescue again! I'll have a search for the old thread and try a few different inserts to see how they work. And who said C final racing wasn't competetive
u have any luck finding the older page i had a bit of a search and coulnt find squat
Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 03:33 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

1) http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...hlight=takeoff
Old 03-23-2003, 03:34 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to seaball

2) http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...hlight=takeoff
Old 03-23-2003, 03:54 PM   #24
Tech Addict

Default Problem Solved!

Tried some Pit Shimizu 27's with HPI green inserts at the weekend. Grip was easily as good as the Take-Offs, way better on my local track than Sorrex. The tyres did 3 heats and 2 finals and look like they will be good for a good few weeks yet. The wear was very even.

I might try the HPI inserts in some Take-offs and see how they go as Take0offs are a lot cheaper than the Pits over here.
Old 03-24-2003, 06:56 PM   #25
Tech Regular

Default Take Off

The old CS22 I had lasted me nearlu 9 months of club racing and I was disappointed that the new CS22 with blue insert only lasted me 2 competitive runs! I can see the canvas and it doesnt grip anymore.

The are of a softer compound which yes gave more grip (maybe) but don't last anywhere near.... I amsure TO prefer to have us changing tyres that often... Strange things is the it is possibley than the CS27 now works similar to old CS22 (with black insert)

Insert plays a major roll... the BLUEs are in my mind too soft and thin... It is much better to use something like Yok 38M ( I know it is a 26mm insert but it works 100%) which fills teh tyres and some real fast guys uses HPI inserts (Orange) and thy tyre is near as damn it filled with no air gap but not too pushed out...
sonneteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 07:04 PM   #26
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to Doug Gaut

On loose parking lot tracks the stock insert works great but if you get onto a higher bite track you will be better off with a thicker insert such as a Sorex "A" med thick, Echo or like was already said an HPI red or orange. They will bite great and wear very little as you were used to with the stock black insert. It is the high bite conditions that the stock insert suffers from too much airgap and the tire rolls over too far not holding its shape and wearing out the inside. Give the thicker inserts a try on high bite conditions.
Doug Gaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 07:32 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Default Problem with Take-off Tires

Guys;

Never had that kind of problem with my Take-off CS27'S (pre-mounts only) I just purchaced some CS32's (pre-mounts) for a race this weekend on Concrete and I'll let you know how they wear/work.
For all of my Tires that I assemble myself, I use HPI Red or Green inserts, no matter what the brand of Tire.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote