Wiki Posts
Search

Orion Avantage carbon vs. Much More Cell Master CTXC

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Orion Avantage carbon vs. Much More Cell Master CTXC

Just to start, I did a search and came up empty handed, so...

I just smoked out my MRC 989 last night so I figure its time I got a good charger. I've narrowed it down to these 2 choices, which is the better charger? The Much More is much more expensive, but does it charge better? I've noticed its very popular, heard lots of good things about how well it peaks packs. The Orion I haven't heard so much about, but I would think the quality is quite good, and the price is very nice. What I'm most concerned about though is durabilti and longevity. I want a charger that I can keep for the next 5 years.

What are your thoughts?
Old 01-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

i have the TMM and it's the best EP investment i have ever made.

however ... it's Lipo-charging profile is really limited.

i was also researching the Team Orion Advantage for a back-up charger.
my one-line conclusion - if you want to use lipo, then go for the Orion Adv. Otherwise ... the TMM fulfils all your nimh charging requirements.
(except discharging .. the TMM discharges at a max of 10A only ..)
Old 01-28-2007, 05:40 PM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Duratrax Ice has all their features..including Lipo charging at a better value!
Old 01-28-2007, 06:08 PM
Tech Elite

The shop I work at doesn't do Duratrax or I would have bought one of those intially. We can get MM, Orion, CE, and a few others. Thats why I'm limiting my selection.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dasupacat1
Duratrax Ice has all their features..including Lipo charging at a better value!
yeah i've heard some really high level drivers talk very positively about their ICE, esp considering the price and features, tahts what i would go with.

but given your question, between Cell Master and Carbon i'd say cell master for nimh and carbon for lipo since the cell master is limited to 1A for lipo (prety sure its 1A, no matter its WAY too low for race packs, its only good for rx and tx lipos).

the fan output and warming tray are the bomb for nimhs
Old 01-28-2007, 07:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

imo go with the orion first than tmm then ??

i personal have the orion and ice and an ice with backlight. i like the orion for track use and the great ice for everthing else including track. lipo is hear and more classes everday. the ice with backlight is my fav!
Old 01-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

I've tryied both the orion and a borrowed MM. both great chargers. I still use my orion. I know both has great customer support. I know the dist for MM. and dealt with orion's.

The only nice thing the orion has on the mm is that you can break in motors. the MM you can't.

the nice thing about the MM is that you can change your charging amps while charging. the MM is a bit smaller so it will take less pit space.

either way you will have a great charger.

I just notice your in Alberta. the MM Dist is in Vancouver.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:13 PM
Shop Owner

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What do you mean Orion has better functionality than MM regarding lipo charging?
I just went to orion's site and it says that can charge up to 2 cells while MM's can 3 cells!

2 things I like with the orion is motor run in (which we don;t need it anymore since most are will use brushless) and the fact you can hold the batteries

Other than that I prefer MM for it's size, weight and functionality

Nick
Old 01-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nnick
What do you mean Orion has better functionality than MM regarding lipo charging?
I just went to orion's site and it says that can charge up to 2 cells while MM's can 3 cells!
i think he meant that the orion can charge the 7.4v lipos for our cars at the recommended charging rate (1C). the much more only has maximum 1 amp for 3 cells, which is for 11.1v lipo transmitter packs.

orion charger:
2 cells for our car packs (2 cells x 3.7v per cell = 7.4v), amp rate depends on the capacity, ie. 4800mah lipo packs are charged at 4.8amps

much more charger:
3 cells for our transmitters (3 cells x 3.7v per cell = 11.1v), amp rate is max 1 amp only, which will take a very long time to charge a 4800mah lipo pack
Old 01-29-2007, 03:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have the following experience with MM and Orion - I have had Orion Advantage chargers since they were first relaesed, I have used two Orion Advantage chargers and I now have a Carbon Edition also, in three years I have never had a problem with the chargers, Orion Lathe (no problems) Orion 4800 / 3200 Lipo Batteries (no problems) and the Orion customer support has been excellent - if i have a question I make a call and someone has always been there to give me my answer immediatly (no waiting on emails or calls to be returned).

I have had the following experiences with Much More products: Motor cooler (overpriced, under performed), CTX-D Discharger / Matcher ( had to be repaired twice, never got an answer on what was wrong, always hard to get someone at MM to return emails), CTX-P Power Master Power Supply (1 month in the fans make more noise than I can stand, needs to go in for repairs, I just don't want to wait for MM to complete the job, my CTX-D took a long time), IC Controlled Tire Warmer (great product, no problems).

In summary I have found that Orion Products have been great, never a problem and always great customer service. I have found Much More products to be highly creative, but expensive and unfortunatly trouble prone, with poor customer service backing them up.

I am not tring to pick on Much More or sing the praises of Orion, I am an average club racer, who spends my own dollars for everything I use to race, so quality and reliabilty is very important and based on my personal experiences I try to avoid Much More products when ever I can.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Ok, guys I've ordered the Much more. I'm kinda scared now after reading Tsquares reply, but I've heard they have decent customer service incase anything happens. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-29-2007, 05:42 PM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by WheelNut
The shop I work at doesn't do Duratrax or I would have bought one of those intially. We can get MM, Orion, CE, and a few others. Thats why I'm limiting my selection.
You should of ordered it from somewhere.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Why would I order it when I can get all those other brands at dealer cost. I really don't like having to pay retail if I don't have too.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:35 AM
Tech Adept

Default I feel good

I had that same dilema couldent aford th MM to go with my ice so got a Orion on ebay for cheaper then I paid for the Ice came today .
Thanks for the peace of mind Rob Hall
Old 01-30-2007, 04:12 PM
Tech Adept

When it comes to chargers there is only one for me, and that is the protrak, have a look at http://www.pro-trak.co.uk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.