R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-11-2007, 12:44 PM   #1
Regional Moderator

Default Question regarding the TC4

With the new TC5 out kicking asphault is the TC4 even still remotely competitive by comparison?
nitrous36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to SARCAR_Revmax

So far, a TC3 can still beat out the competition, and the TC4 is no exception. Was almost getting butt kicked by one at my club!
SARCAR_Revmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:56 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

90% of a cars total ability lies within you. If you can dial in a chassis and wheel it, it's competetive. A $400 car doesn't drive itself. The guys at the top can be separated .05 sec/lap by a car design. But most of us spend a lot of money on the cool cars because they're cool.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:33 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak
90% of a cars total ability lies within you. If you can dial in a chassis and wheel it, it's competetive. A $400 car doesn't drive itself. The guys at the top can be separated .05 sec/lap by a car design. But most of us spend a lot of money on the cool cars because they're cool.
True, but there is another reason why certain people gravitate towards certain cars, & that's comfort. Not every car will suit every driver, & driver comfort is a VERY important part of racing(if you can't trust your car, you won't be very quick with it). I was quite comfy with the TC3, & I ran well with it, & when the TC4 came out, I figured it'd be more of the same, but I was wrong. I could never get it running in a way that I could drive consistently(though some have & do), so I switched to Tamiya(right now a TA05, & have a TRF415 MSX coming) & have found that the way they like to be driven & the way they handle suit my tendencies MUCH better, so I'm turning slightly faster & much more consistent laps with them. But again, it all comes down to how the car feels to YOU. If you feel good about what your car's doing & can turn in strong, consistent laps with it, then don't feel pressured to get the new car flavor of the week, just relax, race & enjoy.....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I started with a pair of FT TC4s. I realized when building it that the car was poorly designed. Over the next month of living with the car (i.e. doing regular maintenance) it was continually obvious that the car was poorly designed. I sold it and bought the cars in my sig. It had practically nothing to do with how fast the two cars were compared to each other, and almost everything to do with the quality and design of the FT TC4.
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I'd say TC3,TC4,TC5, are all just cars, that just remarket themselves to keep up with competition. The TC5 looks to be a close to what anyone would want car in design. And at a much lower cost as the higher quality cars.
I guess we could call it the generic car, yet it still will work the same.
I used to run TC3 Awesome asphalt car. I'm currently running an FK05 But waiting to get a TC5. 11 years ago TC3 And Losi were the Cadillacs around here and then the exspress car came out.
If Associated wanted to be a higher end car they could.
But it would cost money to buy it. And they are targeting the shall we say mid range market.
I believe you get what you pay for.
But if you can drive a brick? Hey there cheap.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:36 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

OH sorry: Heck yes there still competitive!
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 09:30 PM   #8
Regional Moderator

The new design of the TC5 it looked like it could run circles around a T3/T4 all day, with no effort regardless of who was driving. It looks intimidating compared to the older TCs it replaces. And it being a new redesign to top the older cars in ever way only added to it. Im looking for a new TC and didnt want to get something that was dated or soon to be obselete.

Also I spoke to a AE rep and I was told they dont have any plans as of now to make a RTR or team kit versions of the TC5 chassis. And looking at the carbon chassis of the TC5 it doesnt look like something you want to hit the wall or anything with. The composite chassis are more durable and can take a beating. I was hoping they would be making a composite TC5 chassis too. But since they are not. I will settle for the TC4. Just wanted to know if it was still in the game.
nitrous36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:52 AM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would say if you run stock, you can still totally be in the game with a tc4.
If you run mod, then it might be less true given the higher level of competitiveness and handling requirements.
Patriiick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 12:43 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to ford_racing

The only thing about this car that I'm a bit concerned about is how far out the motor hangs, looks like it will be taking the hits if you get sideways., I hope there is some good protection available
ford_racing is offline   Reply With Quote