R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-10-2007, 03:07 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Buzzing sound from battery while charging

Hi

I am totally new to this site, and I hope I am not posting to the wrong section.

I have a very old and basic Tamiya TL-01, and I am trying to learn the ropes of driving, etc.

I had this car for 7 years, and 2 1300Mah batteries with it, and a very old 1A/h charger.
I invested today in a new Robbe Power Peak 400 charger, which can do 5 Amps per hour, and 2 3300 mAh batteries. This charger is a 12V charger, and I have my Power Supply for this which drives it.

When I connected the battery to the charger, it soon started on with a buzzing sound coming from the end of the battery, which is a standard Tamiya stile (tamiya connector on it) 6 cell Nimh battery. I quickly removed the new battery, and connected the old one, as if I really have to kill something, it should be the old crappy battery. It again started making the buzzing sound. I am really puzzled and dont know what to do/think. Also, after 20 seconds the buzzing sound stops for 2 seconds, then starts again.

Addition to this, I measured the Volt input output before and after the charger, and I came up with interesting figures.

When battery buzzes, the following is measured:

Code:
Between PS and Charger: 11.83 Volt
Between Charger and Battery: 8.15 Volt
When battery is quiet, the following is measured:

Code:
Between PS and Charger: 12.10 Volt
Between Charger and Battery: 8.10 Volt
My question is, should I go ahead charging my batteris and nevermind about the buzzing sound, or is there anything wrong with either my charger or Power Supply? The other charger charges nicely with 1A without any sound.

Thanks for any help,

Ben
bence8810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 03:59 PM   #2
Tech Adept

How many amps and how many cells do you have your charger set to?
Old 02-10-2007, 04:19 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

Some chargers have a knob/button on it to charge different type batterys and different ammounts of cells, the one i have is for 6/7 cell NiMh or Ni-Cads and it reconises them automaticly

But one i have used (was a friends) had 2 knobs and a button on it, one was to change the cells from 4,5,6,7,8,9 the other was for the AmpHour input into the battery and the button was to change the settings to wither a ni-cad NiMh or them other ones for helli's and plane's .. lipo is it?

just make sure the charger is for the cell amount/type or that it has the right setting on it might be some help
D4nny06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:07 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Hi

Thanks for the replies.

I was charging the 1300mAh battery with 2A, and the 3300 with 1A as it was the first charge. My charger has two buttons one for NIMH and NICD, so I seletg NIMH there, and one is for setting tha A fro 50mAh to 5A

The battery is still making the sound at the very end of it. It is a standard prepacked 6 cell Nimh battery from Team Orion.

I am worried of killing my batteries.

Thanks

Ben
Old 02-11-2007, 04:12 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

its my charger what makes the buzzing sound, only when i do a fast charge though
D4nny06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 06:36 AM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

thats funny, there should be no sound when charging either from the charger or the batts. my advice better switch charger just to avoid any accident.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:45 AM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Orion pack?
Why did'nt you say so.
Why thats the little bee's inside the batteries making honey.
Thats what makes them so sweet.

I'm not sure of all the technical hype but I think if your batteries have sat to long they will crystalize. And thats the buzzing noise?
Its waking up the cells so deffinitly be gentle with the charge rate.
Now as you stated its doing it with the 3300's. In that case take it to the local hobby shop. Unless they were bought used.
Be sure andlet us know what you find out?
I hate it when no one lets us know what became of a question like this.
Later.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Hi

Just to report back, I took the items to the Hobby Store I purchased from, and they were as puzzled as I was, but they said as the battery isnt getting hot, I should be fine like this. And in case there will be a damage, I can go back and claim. Go figure, I am here with no experience what so ever of modelling, and now I need to keep my eyes on how the battery deteriorates. I dont even know what is normal to at least give me a guide to go by.

Anyways, thanks for the replies, and I have nothing better to try but to charge the batteries as usual, and see how it goes.

Thanks

Ben
Old 02-12-2007, 02:41 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the orion battery pack you have as with all new cells, will vent to some degree. this sometimes results in a buzzing sound. or a sizziling sound. your older pack is most likely nicd, but even with it they will vent also. also if your charger is not equipped with peak detection and is a timer charger you are over charging your batteries cause them to vent. if they don't vent they explode, thats why they are designed that way, its a safety measure. also seeing 11.8 or 12.1 from power supply to charger is normal since you have a 12 volt power supply. it should read that. also anywhere from 8.0 to 9.4 volts at your pack is normal as well. thats how many volts its taking to charge the pack itself. the higher the volts the more internal resistance your battery pack has. the more resistance the more volts it takes to charge it to the max mah your cells are rated at. also make sure your connected right from charger to battery pack, a reverse hook up will cause buzzing also. plus i would go with deans plugs over the tamiya plugs, those plugs are a huge voltage loss while in the car there for not as much power is going through your esc then to the motor.
Old 02-12-2007, 02:57 PM   #10
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to |<R1Z |>

You might want to check the voltage input requirements for the charger. 11.XX V is probably not enough supply power for your charger and is causing whatever issues you are having.

probably also the reason there is no issue when the supply is 12.XX+

good luck.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:03 PM   #11
Tech Rookie

Hi

THank you both for the comments. My charger takes anything between 11-15 Volts, so I guess I am covered. Besides this, when I went to the Hobby Store, they hooked it on their Power Supply which sure looked like a high-tech thingie, and it worked great but buzzed. I also hooked the charger to a Car battery, and same effect. On top, I also added more resistance to my home PS, and it was at the end giving off 12.50 Volts to the charger constantly, and still same.

About the Packs venting, its good to know, thanks. I just wonder why they went if everything goes well? I am not charging too fast, not too strong, and the Voltage is also perfect.....

The wonder is ongoing, I only hope my batteries will go a long ways too.

All other suggestions are welcome, meantime I am charing some more

Thanks

Ben
Old 02-12-2007, 03:04 PM   #12
Tech Addict

One more trick to determine where exactly the sound is coming from. Take a 2-3 foot PVC pipe and listen to your battery through it I know this sounds odd but..) this will allow you to isolate the noise without sticking your face right next to a potentially hazrdous situation. The buzzing could also be a short which could occur on the connectors or someimes occurs on the tab connecting the 3rd and 4th cell on the backside of the stick pack. a short could be caused by debris working itself into the battery. Also check the battery for hot spots versus over all heat.

Also I would check to make sure it is the battery and not your charging equipment making the buzz noise.

"Racing is about the journey not the destination if it wasn't it would simply be called Arriving"

"The solution is people need to spend more of their efforts on promoting and finding more people to race with, rather then a personal quest to form a class that they can win at."
MrBlack is offline   Reply With Quote