Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help picking an ESC!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 05:52 AM
Tech Apprentice

Need help picking an ESC!

Hi, i am looking for a new ESC for my tamiya TT01, i will be running a 17T motor (http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJZN4&P=K) and need an ESC to use with that motor, i have looked at afew, tell me what you think.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDEM7&P=K

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAXT8&P=M

Also, im pretty new to this, the standard motor what came with the TT01 didnt need breaking in, and i think the 17T motor i am buying will need breaking in, how do i do this? also any tips? ive heard of people breaking motors in under oil?

Thanks, Danny
Old 02-11-2007, 06:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Im not sure of your budget but I would look at one of the Novak speed controls. Also I would buy it at your Local Hobby Shop rather then Tower. They will provide better service for you.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by or8ital
Im not sure of your budget but I would look at one of the Novak speed controls. Also I would buy it at your Local Hobby Shop rather then Tower. They will provide better service for you.
The best advise he can get. Try to support your local tracks and shops 1st.

Go with a no motor limit speedcontrol.
With those two speed controls you may want to run a 19 turn?
Old 02-11-2007, 06:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)
Default Novak

Novak are pretty darn good.
by the looks of your links..you'll be on a budget or restricted to a certain type of speedo (for spec type class).

take a look at the GTS, a bit cheaper than a gtx but good quality and has a 12 turn motor limit.

Tower hobbies GTS

if on a more tighter budget the XRS may work..it has a 14 turn motor limit.
Tower hobbies XRS

hope that helps.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

im looking to spend no more than $75 on a ESC if i can get a good one for that, only getting it online because it is cheaper from towers than it will be from my local hobby shop, but ill go have a look see what they have in, need to find out where the tracks are around me, i know there if 3 or 4 jut not sure where abouts
Old 02-11-2007, 06:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Might be able to get the GTS but that would mean i cant order the ball race kit for the TT01, would it be worth it to get the GTS ? or shall i just get the XRS?
Old 02-11-2007, 07:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

See if they have any coupons is worth a try?
Just tell'm whats up they'll appreciate it and maybe help you out?
Its an on the spot purchase thats nice. No waiting and if its a defective product its easier to get warranty support.
I bought a bad servo once, took it back and bodda bing bodda boom, it was replaced.
I hear a lot of hype, but the fact is theres a price'd right product for everyone
Its the application that counts.
Technology is pretty much the same, so any thing they have will compare I'm sure. And there is usally more than 1 local to check with.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks UN4RACING i know of 2 or 3 hobbie shops around my area, ill have to try get to them after college some time in the week, if not i think im going to go for the XRS from towers, just need some tips/info on breaking in a motor, i havnt a clue about it

If anyone can give me instructions on how to break in a motor that would help loads!

as a motor cleaner can i just use WD40 or GT85 or anyother multi purpose oil spray like that? thanks
Old 02-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by D4nny06
im looking to spend no more than $75 on a ESC if i can get a good one for that, only getting it online because it is cheaper from towers than it will be from my local hobby shop, but ill go have a look see what they have in, need to find out where the tracks are around me, i know there if 3 or 4 jut not sure where abouts
It should be the same price at your local store as Tower (at least in the US it works that way). Its always best to spend a little more though to help out the local shop though bc they will be much more willing to help you out with your ESC when you have a problem.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:30 AM
Tech Apprentice

or8ial, on a UK only site i was on the GRS costs 45GBP (great british pounds) and on towers it costs 45USD even though its 1gbp for 2usd
Old 02-11-2007, 11:01 AM
Tech Adept

The XRS is right around the other ESC price range. It should work well for your application.

I am all for supporting my LHS thats why I buy tires, motors, fuel, spare parts and track time there. My major purchases are usually done online where I can really see the savings.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by or8ital
It should be the same price at your local store as Tower (at least in the US it works that way). Its always best to spend a little more though to help out the local shop though bc they will be much more willing to help you out with your ESC when you have a problem.

This is not a true statement, the internet can afford to sell things cheaper because there store caters to the entire country(more business), and the LHS only really has the surronding city to support it (rent and profit margin). So items are marked up higher.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by D4nny06
or8ial, on a UK only site i was on the GRS costs 45GBP (great british pounds) and on towers it costs 45USD even though its 1gbp for 2usd
But that doesn't include the cost of shipping. You'll also have to pay a customs charge (normally £10-15) Plus if it doesn't work you'll have a big hassle getting it fixed.

Whilst it's obvious that prices in England are stupid, the internet isn't always the best alternative. I try and buy second hand from fellow club racers. Ebay is always a decent bet too.
Old 02-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Wayne1one
This is not a true statement, the internet can afford to sell things cheaper because there store caters to the entire country(more business), and the LHS only really has the surronding city to support it (rent and profit margin). So items are marked up higher.
Actually it is true around where I live. Tower marks things up because they can and my understanding is that it was an agreement with Great Plains as to not put the LHS out of business. While I love the internet and sell stuff on it everyday I dont think it is always the best place to purchase things.

But this is of topic for this thread so I will drop it.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:12 PM
Tech Apprentice

ok, i think i am going to order that motor with the cheaper of the Novak ESC's will peobaly order during the week

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.