R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   High Speed Wind Tunnel Testing pics (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/148451-high-speed-wind-tunnel-testing-pics.html)

b4maz 02-07-2007 10:53 AM

High Speed Wind Tunnel Testing pics
 
This is a project I did for college about 4 years ago. I tested different wings with actual airfoil shapes. I used a RC10L3 with a Monte Carlo body. I wanted to compare an airfoil shaped wing with the standard wing used in oval racing. I wanted to see if I could get a much more efficient wing (lower drag with the same downforce). I have posted some of my pics and data here. I have a full written report in PDF format that I can post a link to if anyone is interested.

http://nick.maslowski.googlepages.com/DSC00490small.jpg

AdrianM 02-07-2007 11:32 AM


Originally Posted by b4maz
This is a project I did for college about 4 years ago. I tested different wings with actual airfoil shapes. I used a RC10L3 with a Monte Carlo body. I wanted to compare an airfoil shaped wing with the standard wing used in oval racing. I wanted to see if I could get a much more efficient wing (lower drag with the same downforce). I have posted some of my pics and data here. I have a full written report in PDF format that I can post a link to if anyone is interested.

Its pretty impressive how well some folded up lexan works. The lexan wing had more down force and only lightly more drag than the airfoil wings.

I saw this tested once before several years ago and in that test a vacuum formed Associated wide off road buggy wing had less drag, more downforce and less deformation as high speed than the fancy dual element folded wings.

b4maz 02-07-2007 12:39 PM

It was somewhat difficult to accurately compensate for the very large bolts I used to attach the wing. They were neccesary in order to give me the level of adjustement I needed. I did calculations to remove alot of drag from those large bolts.

I also wish I could have gone to higher speeds. The wind-tunnel I was using is rated to 180 mph. But since it was a tunnel that had just been moved into a new building, it wasnt tested up to 180mph safely. I stayed under 90 mph so the thing wouldnt shake apart.

Sean R 02-07-2007 01:01 PM

Is wing deformation really a bad thing though? Do you really want all that downforce and drag of a stable wing at high speeds?

b4maz 02-07-2007 01:24 PM


Originally Posted by BlueBird-sr
Is wing deformation really a bad thing though? Do you really want all that downforce and drag of a stable wing at high speeds?

Thats a valid point, do you really need all that downforce? I wish I had more time to do my experiment. I only got to conduct about 20% of all the things I wanted to test. I wanted to test ground effect (thats why the car is elevated from the bottom of the tunnel to minimize boundary layer effect), the effect of the distance of the wing from the back of the car, front end downforce...etc.

I can see at a very high speed/high bank oval like the Major Taylor in Indiana that you wouldnt need so much downforce. The banking helps keep your car stick. But, I was able to show that you at least need a spoiler because just the body itself will create lift.

Its not the fact that you would be creating so much downforce, its the fact that you would be making the downforce much more efficiently (create the same downforce with less drag). The most efficient way to create downforce is with ground effect, but I wasnt able to test that :(

SKJ 02-07-2007 01:45 PM

b4maz

Take a look at these pictures

http://jbphotography.smugmug.com/gal...021/1#83299330

They were taken at the Encino Velodrome last July during the SouthWest Tour series race. There are some good high speed shots of the cars.

SKJ

b4maz 02-07-2007 03:34 PM


Originally Posted by SKJ
b4maz

Take a look at these pictures

http://jbphotography.smugmug.com/gal...021/1#83299330

They were taken at the Encino Velodrome last July during the SouthWest Tour series race. There are some good high speed shots of the cars.

SKJ

Wow those are some great pics. I love all the high speed racing. Did you take those pics, SKJ?

SKJ 02-07-2007 08:04 PM

b4maz

The picture were taken by Jason Boulanger. The red and blue car on page 6 is my car at speed, probably at 60mph. Can you please send me or post a link to your report.

SKJ

b4maz 02-07-2007 08:09 PM


Originally Posted by SKJ
b4maz

The picture were taken by Jason Boulanger. The red and blue car on page 6 is my car at speed, probably at 60mph. Can you please send me or post a link to your report.

SKJ

I've added a link to my senior design report in the article on my webpage. Here is the link to my senior design report (PDF)

b4maz 02-07-2007 08:10 PM


Originally Posted by SKJ
b4maz

The picture were taken by Jason Boulanger. The red and blue car on page 6 is my car at speed, probably at 60mph. Can you please send me or post a link to your report.

SKJ

Nice car. I noticed you had a radar gun. Did you guys have an insane speed run? How fast did you get the cars goin?

SKJ 02-07-2007 08:26 PM

b4maz
Some of the mod cars were clocked in the 60-62 mph range. The stock(motor) cars were in 45-48 mph range. Nic Case was there and ran his speed run car. I don't know how fast he was clocked. I think he was running his Custom Works car.

SKJ

b4maz 02-08-2007 07:29 AM


Originally Posted by SKJ
b4maz
Some of the mod cars were clocked in the 60-62 mph range. The stock(motor) cars were in 45-48 mph range. Nic Case was there and ran his speed run car. I don't know how fast he was clocked. I think he was running his Custom Works car.

SKJ

One of the things I did notice was the amount of suspension these guys are running. They have more travel than touring cars. Geez. I guess the surface of that track isnt very smooth. It even looks like some of the cars are catching air. Are the suspension setups all custom for this track?

AdrianM 02-08-2007 08:09 AM


Originally Posted by b4maz
One of the things I did notice was the amount of suspension these guys are running. They have more travel than touring cars. Geez. I guess the surface of that track isnt very smooth. It even looks like some of the cars are catching air. Are the suspension setups all custom for this track?

No those are normal oval cars. They have a lot less travel than sedans. I dont know why the bodies were so high in the pics. Most oval guys run them 1-1.5mm above the racing surface with the suspension bottomed out.

Most velodromes are not all that smooth they might have had to make changes for the surface.

jblackburn 02-08-2007 08:37 AM

Most of the cars that run on the Encino Velodrome are not "normal oval cars." While there are a few 10L4s and 10L3s running standard front ends, most cars are running custom frontends with a lot of suspension travel. The special frontends started right before the 97 NORRCA nats held at Encino when Custom Works released a modified version of their Intimidator frontend - it was expensive (around $250 just for the front end). Donn Natale then put together a frontend based on the Associated Dual Sport suspension for around $70. Since then Randy at Big Boys Toys has a frontend that uses Associated Dual Sport front arms but with a aluminum base and different graphite bulkhead than Donn's. They have a lot more suspension travel than touring - the track is pretty bumpy when going at 60MPH. Almost everyone is running some sort of ground effects also. The entire bottom of my chassis is sealed up to the end of the chassis were the rear pod meets, and even that is extended more than a normal oval car.

AdrianM 02-08-2007 08:41 AM


Originally Posted by jblackburn
Most of the cars that run on the Encino Velodrome are not "normal oval cars." While there are a few 10L4s and 10L3s running standard front ends, most cars are running custom frontends with a lot of suspension travel. The special frontends started right before the 97 NORRCA nats held at Encino when Custom Works released a modified version of their Intimidator frontend - it was expensive (around $250 just for the front end). Donn Natale then put together a frontend based on the Associated Dual Sport suspension for around $70. Since then Randy at Big Boys Toys has a frontend that uses Associated Dual Sport front arms but with a aluminum base and different graphite bulkhead than Donn's. They have a lot more suspension travel than touring - the track is pretty bumpy when going at 60MPH. Almost everyone is running some sort of ground effects also. The entire bottom of my chassis is sealed up to the end of the chassis were the rear pod meets, and even that is extended more than a normal oval car.

That's cool...are there any pics of the cars with the bodies off?


All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:22 AM.

Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.3.6
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.