R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-17-2003, 07:24 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Good point about the RTR's. Maybe those who end up staying with the hobby after their RTR will upgrade to a better system.
Neil Rabara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 08:10 PM   #17

I hope to get some of my friends at the club talked into it for next year. I personally do not like working on motors. stock touring and 1/12 are the big thing here, and the motor upkeep is extremely important, and more important are the batteries. Among our local racers, if somebody gets 3% better batteries they usually win by about 3 %(what fun is that??). I think if you get speeds up where you have to think to turn fast consistent laps because you can't possibly stay in it all the time, the HP advantages start to go away. Motor maintenance gets worse with mods, and batteries are still important. The brushless with mod speed(- the upkeep) and the effieciency(+20%) might be just the thing for 5 or 6 minute races, then we can all worry about chassis tuning and tires(real racing stuff, not DC brush motors and comm truing, and serrated bushes, etc.) To me it's the same qualities that make nitro great. So what's not to like, more speed more runtime and less maintenance and money. Got a little off subject here, I think you will need a lathe for a few more years to do big races, I just bought mine this year.
OB42TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 11:15 PM   #18
Tech Initiate

I'd say it's worth getting a lathe. Reason being that brushless isn't widely used, yet. I LOVE brushless as my other thread states. When the switch comes I welcome it. For now though, I'd get a lathe & also own one. It's like the switch from VHS to DVD. It'll take a little time but once people fully realize how much better & superior the brushless motors are, they'll switch. (personal opinion, brushless will kick in within 2years)
lameposeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 11:25 PM   #19
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

I'd say that you're probably about right with that. . .

Come back here in two years and we'll see just how close you came!
Old 03-18-2003, 03:08 PM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Brian McGreevy Send a message via Yahoo to Brian McGreevy

I agree with all you taht brushless may be the wave of the future, but i do not think it will be anytime soon. Trinity and Reedy and Orion/Peak are not goign to go away from being brushed motor builders. Personally I think the brushless will make the battery war even worse (stock class) because the higher the voltage you supply the faster its gonna go, just like any brushed motor today. And also, what are they going to do at races with handout motors (cleveland, snowbirds, roar nats)? ROAR or any other organization cannot afford to handout brushless motors to contestants. So basically I think that a lathe would be your best bet. Just my 2 cents.
USVTA Member #211

Support Formula SAE - get kids into engineering!
http://motorsports.illinois.edu/
Brian McGreevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 05:23 PM   #21
Tech Initiate

Boomer, lol your pretty funny heheheheh. Okok, I'll check back in a couple years .
Old 03-18-2003, 06:34 PM   #22
Tech Addict

Brushless esc is too big.
Barry White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 08:18 PM   #23
Tech Initiate

Barry while the controller / esc is larger than the ones we're use to it's pretty light. The Hacker Sport controller looks to me like it's mostly heatsink. It's long but narrow & very light imho. Lol, I'd love to see a brushless system in a 12th scale car. Making room could be fun
Old 03-19-2003, 02:43 PM   #24
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

It may be big, but look at how big the best ESC's were a couple of years ago. . .anyone remember the Tekin G12C3? That thing was HUGE compared to the little Novak Atom or the LRP Quantums, etc.

They always start out big and get smaller as they do more development. . .

They also get cheaper. . .

Both things are what I'm waiting for - like lame said, two years. . .

Dude, I'm counting the days!