Send a message via ICQ to drive4fun
Default On Road Shocks

On Road Shocks
Which are better?!?
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...p?&I=LXVB85&P=7
HPI Thrd Aluminum Shock Set 45-56mm

or

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...p?&I=LXDBF2&P=7
HPI Composite Threaded Shock Set 50-55mm (2)

Or are there any better ones?? and for the measurements is it possible to raise it then what it says like i would like to go 70 mm or something is it possible with any of these shocks and which ones??!?! One last question are they easy to assemble?
drive4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 04:03 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Default On Road Shocks

Threaded shocks are the way to go if you are racing.

Aluminum is Stronger and nicer looking, but a lot of Pros prefer Threaded Plastic bodied shocks because of the lighter weight. If you can afford the Threaded Aluminum shocks, go for it.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 05:57 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

generally a composite shock body will produce a smoother functioning shock as well.

[email protected]
Jarrod Langlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 05:59 PM   #4
Tech Apprentice

So which one should i go for im basicaly doing bashing and racing but not serious racing i still am confused on which ones and i can make my shocks measure from one screw to the other in 70mm with any of those correct? Which ones should i go for ? or are there better ones to go with?
Old 03-14-2003, 06:35 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

I agree with pops and I also would personally recommend the Aluminium Threaded shocks for your on road car.
As far as the shocks equaling 70mm from centre to centre, if you check tower hobbies they do sell some HPI shocks that will suit your needs...Otherwise you could try and find some longer ends to screw on to your piston rods...
Can I ask why you specifically want ones that measure 70mm. If you are a little more specific about your needs and purposes we may be able to help you further..

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 07:53 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Ok the 70mm is from end to end farthest part to farthest part
Not from center to center... Im totaly confused with this ive been told to get the composite plastic ones because of its lightness and its easy to adjust the size of them. Ive been told that the only difference from both is that the aluminum is heavier and is much stronger but it thats the only problem than i might go with the plastic.. Ive been also told that aluminum may be a bit smoother but very hard to tell the difference... Im running plastic ones from the rtr hpi sprint and i havent broken them and ive been im some hard crashes just broken arms hubs etc but nothin ever happened with the shocks so if its just stronger and looks better than i might go with plastic but if there are more differencces pelase help me out thank you
Cheers
Old 03-14-2003, 08:22 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Quite honestly I think the plastic will be adequate for your application. I like the alloy ones personally as they are strong and I suppose because they look good too. I think weight is the only drawback of the alloy bodies. They can get out of round under a heavy (very heavy) Impact and cause the piston to stick rendering the shock useless. If money comes in to the equation then stick with the plastic shock bodies. You will not notice any difference in performance between the two in my opinion..

Steevo
Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 06:14 AM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Thanks I will be getting probably the plastic ones since they are basically the same just one is allow and the other is plastic I have $100 but i dont want to spend all of it on just shocks so im going with the plastic's for 20$ a pair so i can get other things that i will need thank you for your help steevo i appriciate it a lot
Cheers
Old 03-16-2003, 12:56 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by drive4fun
So which one should i go for im basicaly doing bashing and racing but not serious ....
Yep, it really sounds like the composite ones are the way to go. And as you say, there are several other things to get, like a good charger and a extra battery pack.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:37 PM   #10
Tech Apprentice

Yes thanks to all ill be getting the plastics thanks again
cheers