R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-14-2003, 12:07 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to unknown
Default One Way Diff? What is the advantage?

I have an RTR TC3 kit. I was just wondering what the different is between the diff in the RTR kit and a one-way diff? I know that the one-way diff only goes "one-way", but what is the advantage of that? What are the disadvantages?
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 12:32 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Well, there is more to a one-way than that, of course. In one direction, the one-way is locked in drive(forward), but in the other sirection, the wheels spin free(no drive), so it allows the outside wheel(that needs to turn faster than the inside wheel in a corner) to rotate freely in a turn, which can improve steering through corners(even when on throttle). The downsides, though, are that 1. a one-way disables any braking action in front, so only the rear wheels will do any braking(which is a problem on tracks where you really need your brakes, makes it easy to spin out) 2. It forces you to change your driving line to roll through corners & is quite unforgiving of mistakes(in part because of reason 1), & 3. It's MUCH harder on front driveline parts. If you hit something hard you run the risk of tearing a CVD to shreds, & this can happen to both the composite & aluminum CVD's(which is why I started sticking to the composite ones, MUCH cheaper to replace than aluminum). If you run on a high bite track(like carpet) & feel you can drive that precisely(as well as adjust your driving style to suit it) then maybe a front one-way is worth a try, but if not, then I wouldn't spend the money on it just yet(& if this tells you anything, I've gone from running one-ways a lot to not using one at all lately, & I've been racing for over 14 years, & my peers consider me a good driver)....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 01:48 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to unknown

sounds like I will stick to the stock diff
unknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 02:17 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Usually, people either love one-ways or hate them.

The basic idea of one-ways is, that when you're off-throttle, the front wheels freewheel. Therefor no traction are used for braking, nor acceleration. So all traction goes to steering and you get really good turning in.

The main difference between a center one-way (+normal diff) and a one-way diff, is that the diff dont unload, when the chassis roll. So you got much more on-power steering coming out of the turns.

As said befor, the downside are rear-wheel braking only.

A center one way are usually a little easier to drive, than a one-way diff. The diff is good for both going in and out of turns, while the center version are mainly good for going in.

I'm one of those who love them. And at my opinion, they are really good on tight and technically tracks, if traction are decent.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:57 PM   #5
KMW
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

If you're going to race stock then I would recommend a one-way. It helps free up the drivetrain, provides faster corner exit speed (which is especially important in stock), and you don't need to "brake".

For modified it depends more on the driving style, track layout, etc. As a substitute for front one-ways some people use solid front axles. Similar advantages to a one-way, but you'll still have front and rear wheel braking. The disadvantages are a loss of steering during corner entry (off power) and it's the hardest on the drivetrain.

I wouldn't recommend using a one-way or solid front for modified on high-bite carpet with foams. You'll probably end up with a car that makes it very difficult to drive consistently. Try a diff instead unless you're a skilled Kamikaze pilot.
KMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 03:11 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to Claydoh

My new car came with a one-way so I thought I'd give it a try before I ordered a diff from Japan. I like it. You need to be smooth and flowing to really use it but my corner speed is way up now.

I can see where a one-way would be harder to drive but they are faster. And who brakes in stock anyway?
Claydoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 01:05 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Default One-ways versus durability

I've been using a HPI center one-way pulley for 1 year. I've never greased it. It seems to last forever.

I've been runnign the HPI super one-way diff for around 20 batteries. This one I've greased. Havent seen any problems so far.

Maybe I should add in, that I'm racing stock only. Carpet with rubber tires. And they really improves my laps. Yes, they require some practise, but I believe it's the hop-op with most laps per money.
Old 03-16-2003, 01:38 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Personally i have just started using them. I must say that it is definatley alot faster round the corners but it is alot harder to drive. Its very fast when u get it right, but when u get it worng it sorta loses stability.
spycs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 05:15 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Default One Way Diff?

I WAS using a Front One-way when the chassis was completely stock on my Pro-3. This really improved the handling and was still easy to drive.
As I have made improvements to stiffen the chassis structure, the car became more difficult to drive (on asphalt) so I have now removed the Front One-way and gone back to a standard ball diff.
I really saw no advantage running Stock, when using a One-way countershaft pulley. The car would rotate very easily off throttle, but this also slowed down my corner speeds, so I removed after one race.
Maybe both types with a Mod Motor would allow one to drive deeper then power out of a corner improving overall corner speed. But I've never ran a Mod motor before.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2003, 10:05 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

This is my opinion..

I am running stock with full one way options in my Pro3 (HARA).
Earlier, I have a spinning problem when off throtle.. to avoid this, I adjust my throtle trim to maximum to reduce drag brake.. this really helps since stock motor produce more drag than mod motor.. however, if you are using this method, take good care with your throtle movement... pull smoother and not to much.. then you'll be fast in the corner....

Just my opinion...

regards.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:53 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Very true, if you have to use brakes, it'll be difficult to make full use of a one-way, so it's best if you can adapt your driving style to stay on throttle as much as possible & roll through corners(rather than stab brakes & accelerate out of them)....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 12:15 AM   #12
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito

with dual one ways u get much more stearing all around in and out of corners..... well its a bit hard and unforgiving to master due to the minimal gap for mistakes but once u get ur driving style on track .. its a killer
imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 12:40 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Imataquito; I'm one of those, who really like one-ways. I've been running a one-way pulley and a one-diff, but not at the same time. In a week or two, I'll try dual one-ways.

I would like if you can explain a bit deeper, whats the difference, handling wise with the dual combo.

I'm running stock, carpet, rubber tires and a Pro2.
Old 03-28-2003, 02:05 AM   #14
O
Tech Initiate

personally I would say if you havent used a one way before to try the centre one way first . One thing people forget about one ways is that although they allowthe outside wheel to run faster they do not allow the inside to run slower .so the inside wheel does a lot of work pulling the car through the corner on power whick can make it very agresive and hard to drive on carpet.The centre on way makes handling a little more consistenent whilst making the car turn in tighter .steering out of corners is improved over direct drive without being as agresive
O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 08:00 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Get real, guys... Dual one-ways (front oneway diff + layshaft oneway) don't give you _anything_ that front one-way diff doesn't. Only thing center one-way adds is that brakes work a bit better (since front belt can freewheel). Knowing how little brake is needed with one-way (I'm running brake ATL at 20-25% on carpet), this is a moot point. Claiming "with dual one ways u get much more stearing all around in and out of corners"... too funny Yeah, you're right, but you achieve exactly the same result with only front one-way.
olev is offline   Reply With Quote