R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-28-2003, 08:25 AM   #16
O
Tech Initiate

I didnt say it gave any more with a centre oneway over a front one way i say gives you less ,i never said anything about both .It is an easier starting point for someone who hasnt tried a one way before.A centre oneway is different to a front oneway
O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2003, 11:22 PM   #17
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito

cole ....
i never tried the one way diff alone ....
heres what i feel by comparing these 2 but remember what i feel mite not be what u feel and i mite miss some points out here
its best to say to try it out first and if u feel some probs or something u r not too sure with ... ask on forum

but anyway heres a simple explanation

i never tried the one way diff alone ....
i ahve tried the ccentre one way with normal diff infornt
what i felt is that with centre one way the car feels more like normal full time 4wd
but it gives more stearing off power and u r unable to use hard brakes and braking if its it to be used must be b4 the corner and not into or during the corner - this also holds true for the dual one way setup ...

and if u power out of the turn too hard while u still have stearing on ... u have a posibility of spinning out as in a overstear spin to a halt .... ( more true on mod motor with a punchy gearing )
but this also depends very much on ur suspension setup...

with dual one ways ..
if u r off power into turns ( totally offpower )
u will spin out... so while turning u will have to apply a small amount of trottle .... then addjust the trottle mildly ( NO JERKS !!) to induce push or stearing while entering a turn
then once u r after the apex car set up nicely into the turn ... just pull ur trottle full and power out ... the car will strighten out and u WILL NOT spin out even if u have some stearing on ...

suspension setup for dual one ways is also different .... u will need more rear end bite to cope with the front end if u dont want the car to spin out off trottle too easilly

and ... if done prefectly the car will look like is practically drifting into turns and powering out of turns like it never really slowed down significantly ....moving in a very smooth flowing motion....

basically i will say u will ahve more streaing into turns (offpower)
and more strearing out of turns (onpower) due to the way thecar is placed at the apex ... and a faster power out because u can practically zip the trottle on ur way out and will not spin out
(taking into consideration setup is done up well)

also another notable diffrence for those 1st time dual one way users compared to centre one way is that with dual one way the car feels loooser/ twicher and the minor addjustments to stearing harder to feel and harder to judge where its going ... no big problem once u get used to it........

hard to explain on words ........

best sugession is to

try it out first and if u feel some probs or something u r not too sure with ... ask on forum
imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 12:45 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

heehee
i can say i hate front-one ways.
both cars i've had comes with them.
and both cars i cannot drive properly(yes,i suck)
most probably bcos i'm more of a real car driver than a model car driver.
i NEED to BRAKE INTO CORNERS.
the only setup i came close to that allows a certain level of braking is
Tamiya type A/B tyres
softest inserts
Extremely hard (Assoc. Silver) rear springs
High rear toe-in and all round 2 deg. -ve camber.
drag brakes not reverse throttle brakes.
As u can see tyre costs will be high..running soft tyres.ALSO,on bumpy track...hard springs=flying cars.
I pretty much like to run HPI 35R's(hard compound) to save on tyres.
Now that i've ordered and run a regular front-diff i have more confident braking late,diving into corners AND not crash so much.
IT IS true that running a front one way makes u learn to drive smoothly and i think it's the level of skill attained from using it makes u faster.....by itself it's a handicap(which I,and many others cannot impose on ourselves yet)
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 12:52 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to j0n0
Default One-Way Problem

On my atlas the right hand side of the one way spins for longer then the left hand side, does this affect the actuall performance or not ?? the difference is about 2 seconds longer, is you rev a stock motor in it.
j0n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 03:10 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Re: One-Way Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by j0n0
On my atlas the right hand side of the one way spins for longer then the left hand side, does this affect the actuall performance or not ?? the difference is about 2 seconds longer, is you rev a stock motor in it.
it is normal.
this is bcos if u take the driveshaft/bevel gear OR belt pulley as middle...
u will see that for your case the right hand side of the diff has more weight.
this means more moment of inertia.'moment' keeps spinning things spinning and iddle things iddle.
there is another factor regarding braking force...i dont know how to explain.
it is just normal.how much it affects performance..i dont know.but not much.
lee82gx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 05:33 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Olev, I dont think O talked about dual one-ways, but about center one-way versus front one-way.

Also, I dont think that dual one-ways compared to front one-way, will give better braking. Instead, I believe it'll reduce drag-brake since the front belt can freewheel. So with dual one-ways, I assume that the rear wont spin out off-throttle going into corners, as easy as with one-way diff alone. I'll try it out soon.

Last edited by Cole Trickle; 03-29-2003 at 06:10 AM.
Cole Trickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 05:35 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Default Re: One-Way Problem

Quote:
Originally posted by j0n0
My Pro2 do the same, even though both car and one-way have only ran about 10-15 batteries. I didnt check it, when it was brand new. However, a little cleaning and lubing wont hurt your Atlas and maybe it'll eliminate the difference.
Old 03-29-2003, 09:05 AM   #23
Tech Adept

to O: I wasn't talking about you. I was talking about imataquito, but he later explained he never tried front one-way alone. So that's all clear now. All I was trying to say that running dual one-ways is no different from running only front one-way. Running only center one-way is of course another story.
I have tried all sorts of one-ways and I really like the front one-way. Center one-way only does half the job, as everyone has already explained. It has all the downsides of front one-way (i.e. no front braking), unless it's adjustable. At least Schumacher had an adjustable center one-way for Axis/Axis 2, which they called A.B.S., I'm sure there are others as well. Center one-way also has half the good sides of front one-way (better turn-in), but it lacks the good sides of front one-way while powering out of corners. So I'm running front or nothing. Easy for me to say, as my current Mission does not have a center one-way possibility
olev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2003, 05:08 PM   #24
Tech Adept

Send a message via ICQ to j0n0

Thanks guys for the explanation
j0n0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2003, 05:14 AM   #25
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to imataquito Send a message via Yahoo to imataquito

OOOoooo ic .......

hehe

lee...
er.....er..... soli abt the manual ... din go collect it from post office yet ... no TIME..
btw .... its not the skill level ....
its the dual one ways which makes me faster...
imataquito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2003, 12:11 AM   #26
Tag
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default rear diff

hi all, i am running a front one way diff, and the rear remains diff. here's the question, how tight or lose should the rear diff be ? should like lock it up for faster acceleration ?
thanks
Old 04-14-2003, 02:17 AM   #27
Tech Elite

It should definately be tight enough, to not slip.