Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Novak SS13.5 B/L gearing question, for T2 >

Novak SS13.5 B/L gearing question, for T2

Novak SS13.5 B/L gearing question, for T2

Old 02-05-2007, 12:44 AM
  #31  
Tech Master
iTrader: (31)
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: north-west Indiana
Posts: 1,362
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default

We run a small technical track about 40'x60'. I gear my 13.5 at 108/39 (foam tires at 58mm) with the sintered rotor. The problem is even the 13.5 varies in gearing from motor to motor. A friend of mine is geared 84/29, my dad runs his at 104/36. Get the sintered rotor and gear it to the moon. The people who complain about it being to fast haven't run a well tuned co27.
trilerian is offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 05:18 PM
  #32  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (111)
 
fullsyzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 1,634
Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Grizzbob
Ahhh, yeah, looks close in size to my local track, maybe you should try gearing a bit more conservatively & see if that helps....
Once again forgive my ignorance, but can you elaborate a tad on what more conservative means? Does that mean try running a smaller pinion? BTW, thanks for the help again. When I was having overheating issues at the track one of the guys recommended I get on this forum. He said you guys have the answers. So far I'm very impressed, and glad I found you guys.
fullsyzz is offline  
Old 02-05-2007, 10:02 PM
  #33  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (2)
 
Grizzbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sand Springs, OK
Posts: 3,073
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by fullsyzz
Once again forgive my ignorance, but can you elaborate a tad on what more conservative means? Does that mean try running a smaller pinion? BTW, thanks for the help again. When I was having overheating issues at the track one of the guys recommended I get on this forum. He said you guys have the answers. So far I'm very impressed, and glad I found you guys.
Well, I was originally gonna reccomend the gearing I ran over the weekend, but I don't know if the rollout would be anywhere near what you've tried(I run rubber tires, never felt that comfortable running foams on a TC), but if this helps, the rubber tires I run are 63mm dia., & I was running a 5.8 final drive ratio(so you might be able to get a rollout from that, & maybe that'll give you a starting point).....
Grizzbob is offline  
Old 02-06-2007, 05:36 PM
  #34  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (111)
 
fullsyzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 1,634
Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)
Default

Ok, so if I was running 22/84, and you say gear more conservatively, does that mean running smaller than a 22t pinion or bigger than 22t? From what it sounds, I'm right in the middle of where I should be. Some seem to think a 19/84 is a good starting point, others are saying 29/84.

Also, you guys that are running 36/104, or close to it, what brand of gears are you running like that, that will fit the T2? Does that mean I gotta go to 64 pitch?
fullsyzz is offline  
Old 02-06-2007, 06:10 PM
  #35  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Costa Mesa
Posts: 408
Default Rubber tire..13.5 with sintered arm..

gearing for rubber tire on a small high traction track 4.0 FDR @ so cal raceway , let her ripp..
CAlbrecht is offline  
Old 02-06-2007, 07:38 PM
  #36  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (111)
 
fullsyzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 1,634
Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)
Default

So does gearing more conservatively mean smaller pinion or larger pinion???
fullsyzz is offline  
Old 02-06-2007, 07:50 PM
  #37  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Costa Mesa
Posts: 408
Default

Originally Posted by fullsyzz
So does gearing more conservatively mean smaller pinion or larger pinion???
smaller
CAlbrecht is offline  
Old 02-06-2007, 09:20 PM
  #38  
Tech Fanatic
 
SlamMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 847
Default

Originally Posted by fullsyzz
Ok, so if I was running 22/84, and you say gear more conservatively, does that mean running smaller than a 22t pinion or bigger than 22t? From what it sounds, I'm right in the middle of where I should be. Some seem to think a 19/84 is a good starting point, others are saying 29/84.

Also, you guys that are running 36/104, or close to it, what brand of gears are you running like that, that will fit the T2? Does that mean I gotta go to 64 pitch?
About the only gears that work are the www.precisionracingsystems.com Pro-Lite Touring gears. Have you calculated your gearing at www.gearchart.com yet? If you're running 22/84 with 58mm tires that's a 28mm roll out and way low for this motor. You can try going more conservative but in my opinion that's the opposite direction you should go. At least borrow a pinion around 28-30 teeth and see how it feels. That will put you closer to a 36-38mm roll out. Good luck.
SlamMan is offline  
Old 02-06-2007, 10:44 PM
  #39  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (7)
 
Scottmisfits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,104
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

With 57-58mm tires I was geared at 116/35 on mine tonight. I came off at 150 degrees. The car felt great. That was with the stock rotor not the sintered one.
Scottmisfits is offline  
Old 02-06-2007, 10:56 PM
  #40  
Super Moderator
iTrader: (2)
 
Grizzbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sand Springs, OK
Posts: 3,073
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SlamMan
About the only gears that work are the www.precisionracingsystems.com Pro-Lite Touring gears. Have you calculated your gearing at www.gearchart.com yet? If you're running 22/84 with 58mm tires that's a 28mm roll out and way low for this motor. You can try going more conservative but in my opinion that's the opposite direction you should go. At least borrow a pinion around 28-30 teeth and see how it feels. That will put you closer to a 36-38mm roll out. Good luck.
Right, & using that formula, my rollout would be something like 33.9mm, that's what I'd consider a starting point....
Grizzbob is offline  
Old 02-07-2007, 10:00 AM
  #41  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: MI
Posts: 574
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I was out racing the 13.5 first time yesterday. I run out of the pinions . 29/84 with 58mm tire dia. The thing is fast and it came out 135F even after 7 minutes during practice.

Anyone wants some barely used CO? 10 bucks each shipped
cvt01 is offline  
Old 02-10-2007, 02:51 AM
  #42  
Tech Master
iTrader: (4)
 
BrainTeased's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 1,342
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

where are you guys taking your temps from ?
BrainTeased is offline  
Old 02-10-2007, 08:45 AM
  #43  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (7)
 
Scottmisfits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,104
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

I've been doing mine on he bottom of the motor when it sits in the car. It's the side of the can, just the bottom side of the car. That's where I temp it with any motor.
Scottmisfits is offline  
Old 02-10-2007, 10:30 PM
  #44  
Tech Master
Thread Starter
iTrader: (111)
 
fullsyzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Reno, Nevada
Posts: 1,634
Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)
Default

Well, I switched to a rubber tire set-up, and put a 19t pinion in yesterday, and it worked awesome. I didn't even bother trying the 28-30t pinions suggested after running the 19. I was running 117-126 temps after 5 min. The car is slower for sure (obviously, going from 22 to 19 pinion) but temps were perfect and the car was still quick enough for me. I will try a 28 just to satisfy my curiosity, but most likely will stick with 19, maybe bump to 20. Or maybe even order up some Delrin RW gears and run 22/86? This was with the bonded rotor and no fan. When my other 13.5 comes back from Novak I'm going to run the sintered rotor and mess with gearing some more, but I think I got it dialed. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread!!
fullsyzz is offline  
Old 02-10-2007, 11:40 PM
  #45  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (7)
 
Scottmisfits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,104
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

If you were running 120 with a 19t, Don't try 28. Slowly work your way there. Maybe try a 21. My best times were with the motor coming off at 150.
Scottmisfits is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.