R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-01-2007, 12:33 PM   #31
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenSobottka
Never dropping off and just worrying about motor heat via the jump in supplied voltage toward the end of the run
Good to know that....
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #32
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSmooth
And you know what...I'm all for 4 or 5 cell!

However, go to this thread and see the kind of reaction it brought about here.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=137887
I guess flying to Europe for some 5-cell races is out of the question??
Old 02-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

hey... come on over and run in our little series...

Here are the rules:

General Rules:

- ROAR Rules unless other specified.
- 13.5 Novak Brushless Motor is legal in ALL Stock Classes
- Novak 4300 Brushless Motor is legal in ALL 19T Classes
- LiPo Batteries are ONLY legal for Stock Sedan, 19T Sedan and Mod Sedan

Weights: ROAR Rules unless otherwise specified.
For Electric Touring: 5 cells- 1450g rubber tires; 4 cells- 1375g rubber. 6 cells - 1525g rubber tires, LiPos – 1525g (Per ROAR’s new rules)

So I really don't care, run what you want and what you think will take you to the top... I already know of a couple of people that going to run 5 cells just to mess with the minds of others... With this cell, I'm sure they are going to try 4 cells, for the fun of it... But Most are going to BL and LiPo, is this the Holy Grail, nope, no, no way, but it is more convenient and cost effective and allows people to have a little fun again when racing...

Also, I have and will continue testing the idea of 3 mins Q, and 8 to 10 mins Mains. So far, it has been a huge hit. PS. I gauge my main times on Wilson, if he stays on the track after the Q is ran, then I just add that to the main... (this way I know they can make it, even on 3300s.....)

Digi3Dworks - 3D printing for the medical Field.
bvoltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #34
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to BillyCaldwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me
Main apathy turn on.
Are you doing it as hard as you can?
Old 02-01-2007, 01:57 PM   #35
Tech Elite

Can the nitro fanboy trolls please leave the thread so we can discuss the new cell now please?

When will we see some numbers and prices for them? Does anyone have them in their hands in production form yet?
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #36
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge
Can the nitro fanboy trolls please leave the thread so we can discuss the new cell now please?
Presented with an alternative point-of-view, and he resorts to name-calling. How old are you?

By the way, all I've ever raced is electric...since 1986.
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

McSmooth, you are no better. A new cell is going to come out. We learn its manufacturer and its capacity. What is your reaction? Instant talk of how 'this is what's wrong with electric racing.' Nice.

Personally, I'm thinking that
a) The current IB cells are junk and horrendously overpriced.
b) The current GP cells don't put out the same voltage.
c) It may or may not be the case that that extra voltage could make me place higher.
d) These cells potentially have the same voltage as IB 4200WC but have a half life longer than 4 months. They can't be more expensive (prove me wrong, cell sellers, I dare you), and they can't be of any lower quality. Therefore, they can't be worse than what we have. And by worse I mean higher priceerformance.

I guess my position is that, we are in the worst possible situation right now. Extremely expensive cells that are junk. I'm guessing that a new cell will improve that situation.

Speaking of which, where can I buy GP 4300 cells? How about matched GP 4300 cells?
When someone is intent on excelling in an otherwise laudable manner, does he not desire to inflict pain on others by means of his exalted status and enjoy the envy he arouses? Is there not an anticipated delight in an artist's ability to defeat his artistic rivals, which heightens his euphoria in creation?
-Nietzsche
adamge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 02:51 PM   #38
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are you sure it's real? There have been a ton of fake pics...
elmo6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 03:02 PM   #39
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmo6s
Are you sure it's real? There have been a ton of fake pics...
Yes it's real!
trf_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 08:01 PM   #40
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Guo Chean Send a message via Yahoo to Guo Chean

i believe te came out with the higher capacity cell is because of JMRCA deu to they runing 4 cell with 6x2 motor you can see the IB 4200 not even have enough run time for 6x2 motor to run in 5 min especially in last lap the IB 4200 is totally dump. of cause safety issue is another problem. for me i preffer just go to lower voltage rathter go for high voltage and the cell explode in high temp charging is just like you playing fire in your room you do not know when they will burn your house.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #41
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Core Creations

Damn straight!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR JOLLY

glad i`ve gone Li-Po

Mini Mafia Kansas Chapter - where the monster minis grow!
Core Creations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:32 PM   #42
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guo Chean
i believe te came out with the higher capacity cell is because of JMRCA deu to they runing 4 cell with 6x2 motor you can see the IB 4200 not even have enough run time for 6x2 motor to run in 5 min especially in last lap the IB 4200 is totally dump. of cause safety issue is another problem. for me i preffer just go to lower voltage rathter go for high voltage and the cell explode in high temp charging is just like you playing fire in your room you do not know when they will burn your house.

Nope, no way, not a chance. These battery manufacturers are not putting out anything because we want or need it. No matter how important or big anybody thinks the R/C world is, we are just a very tiny drop in the bucket when it comes to battery sales.

Black and Decker, Skil and all of the other cordless tool manufacturers are buying many more cells than we do. These companies and other more main-line consumer product companies are the ones that drive the development of newer, higher capacity, higher voltage cells.

The cost of a battery pack hasn't really changed in the last 17 years. If fact, it's actually gone down. Way back when, to be competitive at the top levels, you needed battery packs that cost over $100 each. And they lasted 1 run. Seriously, 1 run. (SCE cells for those that remember the bad old days.) Now, top level 6-cell packs are easily found around the $65 range... Take inflation into account, and that's just plain cheap!

Battery advancement is NOT the death knell of electric racing.
gotpez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #43
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotpez
Black and Decker, Skil and all of the other cordless tool manufacturers are buying many more cells than we do. These companies and other more main-line consumer product companies are the ones that drive the development of newer, higher capacity, higher voltage cells.
Still? Haven't most companies moved on to LiPo by now? Is anything new being released by these companies that isn't LiPo? I get the impression these companies need the R/C market a lot more than we think.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:53 PM   #44
Tech Lord

I don't know much about power tools, it looks like maybe it's not 100% Lion, so I guess there's still a market there beyond updated batteries for older tools. I was under the impression these companies were designing cells specifically for R/C, though. I'm sure there will be a market for them here for a while longer.

So, yea, yay, new cells.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:52 PM   #45
Tech Elite

I wish I could have GP3300 toughness with IB4200 power. IB4200's are seriously powerfull. But you can't beat on them as hard.
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote