R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   GP 4600 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/147460-gp-4600-a.html)

syndr0me 02-01-2007 09:08 AM

Main apathy turn on.

dodgeguy 02-01-2007 09:12 AM

Just realize that this is the way it is. GP, I am sure, is making this cell for other applications as well. Not just for rc. A very small part of the bussiness.

And the IB cells are to sensitive right now. The nice thing about the GP cells was how durable they were.

It will be interesting as what IB will do.

sportpak 02-01-2007 09:13 AM

The people that suffer are the ones that really need a latest battery, and the people that THINK they need the latest battery. If people really want them, let them buy them. I find more speed by hitting my marks then spending another $70 on a battery that has an average .011v/cell. I'm sure that a decent percentage of everyone else who races are the same way. Give me a break.

moonman 02-01-2007 09:25 AM

On thing that Rc racers need to realize is that you don't need the latest batteries to be competetive. If you want to buy them do so but for sure you don't need them and you won't notice any noticeable gains if you already have decent batteries.
Power is not the most important thing in rc racing. First learn to drive, then try to understand how to set up your car and when this is under control you can search for more power. This I belive is a fact but when the race starts this fact is quickly forgotten by most racers.

Solara 02-01-2007 09:29 AM

I am afraid another class will form.....8 minutes racing instead of 5. If you race stock or even 19T...4600mah, what is the advantage for only 5 minutes Q and M..?

Carbonator 02-01-2007 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by McSmooth
It's time for the rules-makers and battery matchers to grow a set and (1) not allow this cell for another year and (2) not match/sell them.

What do you really think the chances of that happening are?

Glad I bought a nitro sedan.

So you like to put it in perspective to Nitro?

Okay....

-Batteries are recharged when empty..
-Fueltank is refilled when empty.

And we continue to to so untill....

-Batteries are dead/to bad to race with (we buy new ones)
-5 gallon jerrycan(???) is empty (you buy a new one)

I'm buying the latest bateries because they are better.
You're buying the latest blend of your favorite brand, because its better

Oh no sorry, you're still buying the stuf that was new 5 years ago, because you think development should be stopped ??!!??

Development is called development because it makes thing better....

And yes, people are entitled to have their own opion (base on whatever fact or fiction).

KR
Richard

StephenSobottka 02-01-2007 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Solara
I am afraid another class will form.....8 minutes racing instead of 5. If you race stock or even 19T...4600mah, what is the advantage for only 5 minutes Q and M..?

Never dropping off and just worrying about motor heat via the jump in supplied voltage toward the end of the run

McSmooth 02-01-2007 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Carbonator
-Batteries are dead/to bad to race with (we buy new ones)
-5 gallon jerrycan(???) is empty (you buy a new one)

4 gallons of fuel: $85

4 IB4200 6-cell battery packs: $260

DrOlds 02-01-2007 10:19 AM

40 gallons of fuel: $850

40 IB4600 6-cell battery packs: $2600

2 3200 lipo battery packs: $200

pookat 02-01-2007 10:21 AM

Resale value of your used race packs = something.
Resale value of your used fuel = nothing.

Carbonator 02-01-2007 10:52 AM

Yeah, go right for the money. (Never said bateries were cheaper)

Just wanted to point out Nitro is in essence no different from Batteries.

A stop on development of the "power source" (batteries/fuel) means a boost in development of the motor/engine.
Wich is much cheaper, especially with nitro engines.....

KR
Richard

MattW 02-01-2007 10:59 AM

This is no real surprise (well, especially as i knew about it 2-3 weeks ago when the BRCA released t heir list!!).

At the end of the day cell companies are trying to improve their products, you will never stop them.

I'm not sure about rules in other parts of the world, but in the UK (and i think EFRA) it's fairly straight forward. Cells must be submitted before December 31, list released during January - usually middle. Then new cells are actually legal on April 1. So, racers have 3 months notice that new cells are coming, and they can make their choices.

I think this works. This all documented, so in reality it makes no sense to buy cells until you know what is going to be legal. Then you pay's your money.

McSmooth 02-01-2007 11:00 AM

And as the electric racing numbers continue to dwindle, you can keep telling yourself that this is all a good thing.

There's a reason 1/8 nitro buggy racing is the most popular segment right now. This just didn't happen by accident. The whole battery issue is part of that reason.

Ask those fans of electric off-road if they're happy with the current trend. Keep on going down this same path, and electric on-road will be in the same predicament.

Instead of being pro-active and doing something about it, we continue to bury our heads in the sand and say "if it ain't broke...."

It's hard enough getting new people into racing, and even harder to get them into electric touring cars when they have those other choices. Now faced with THIS issue on an annual basis, any new people will quickly get disgusted and either race something else or quit completely.

Carbonator 02-01-2007 11:13 AM

Instead of being pro-active and doing something about it, we continue to bury our heads in the sand and say "if it ain't broke...."

Yeah, here's a surprise...

Japan= 4 cell
Europe = 5 cell
US = 6 cell

About being pro-active....

We all have our own opinions about development.... but in the end we all make our own discisions....

.........THE END........

KR
Richard

McSmooth 02-01-2007 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Carbonator
Yeah, here's a surprise...

Japan= 4 cell
Europe = 5 cell
US = 6 cell

About being pro-active....

And you know what...I'm all for 4 or 5 cell!

However, go to this thread and see the kind of reaction it brought about here.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=137887