R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-07-2007, 08:49 PM   #151
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAlbrecht
all right buddy your at the Birds right? what the hell kind of batts are ya using Lipos are legal there?
I'm a spy! :-)

I'd have to use NiMH to race. I'd probably buy them from Hurricane or one of SMC's resellers like br00d/EA.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:53 PM   #152
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Lipos are rated nominal and untill there the only battery running they will be slower.
Sub-c for stock.
Lipo for mod.
Thats what I would run.
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:55 PM   #153
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Danny, Novak has a new Smart Tray that holds the voltage of each cell at a set value. Does holding the voltage at say, .90v per cell hurt the pack ?
I'm only asking because I know that these batteries are sensitive to low voltages and was wondering what damage (if any) would occur if these cells are held at low voltages for a time.
I'm talking about IB4200s.
Thanks.
jag88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:56 PM   #154
Tech Lord

Slower motors start arguements.
Mod motors end arguements!
Old 02-07-2007, 08:56 PM   #155
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Lipos are rated nominal and untill there the only battery running they will be slower.
Sub-c for stock.
Lipo for mod.
Thats what I would run.
Or LiPo in stock minus half a pound of lead. :-D
Old 02-07-2007, 08:57 PM   #156
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Never have I said that Lipos aren't good and they shouldn't be used. I just think they shouldn't by used in high end competition as it will make racing unfair for the average guy and more expensive.

If Lipo manufacturers start working on more power and performance I'm sure it will be a direct trade off to reliability and life expectancy. In fact I will ask the current manufacturer I have contacts with if they can make me a special Lipo pack that has higher voltage and lower IR and I don't care if it only runs for 5 charges or 100 charges and price isn't an issue. I bet they can do this and the pack will look just like other packs. That is what I'm trying to get across to people not that Lipos are no good and in fact they have great use in certain applications. If you club allows Lipos that is fine use them as long as the minimum weight is fair and respected. After all racing should be about driving and car tuning not about who has the deepest pockets.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #157
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag88
Danny, Novak has a new Smart Tray that holds the voltage of each cell at a set value. Does holding the voltage at say, .90v per cell hurt the pack ?
I'm only asking because I know that these batteries are sensitive to low voltages and was wondering what damage (if any) would occur if these cells are held at low voltages for a time.
I'm talking about IB4200s.
Thanks.

I would not keep the cells at .90 for a long period of time. I normally tray my packs just prior to charging them.
Danny/SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #158
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny/SMC
Never have I said that Lipos aren't good and they shouldn't be used. I just think they shouldn't by used in high end competition as it will make racing unfair for the average guy and more expensive.

If Lipo manufacturers start working on more power and performance I'm sure it will be a direct trade off to reliability and life expectancy. In fact I will ask the current manufacturer I have contacts with if they can make me a special Lipo pack that has higher voltage and lower IR and I don't care if it only runs for 5 charges or 100 charges and price isn't an issue. I bet they can do this and the pack will look just like other packs. That is what I'm trying to get across to people not that Lipos are no good and in fact they have great use in certain applications. If you club allows Lipos that is fine use them as long as the minimum weight is fair and respected. After all racing should be about driving and car tuning not about who has the deepest pockets.

WORD.
CAlbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:02 PM   #159
Tech Lord

I stored mine at about one third charge till race night then I balanced to just about zero then cool and charge. I wouldnt let them sit at .90 for long with out a charge. At least 25%.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #160
Tech Lord

Quote:

You sound like an alright guy, Danny. :-)

What's the argument against using electronics to create battery parity? Can ESC's limit how much voltage gets through without generating too much heat? It's apparent no battery is going to create that kind of parity with its design, so if the ultimate goal is an even playing field, we may need to look elsewhere.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #161
Tech Lord

Danny I Personally hope the # game never comes into play with lipos.
I know it will, but I think thats just going to put us right back to where we are and thats, this pack only last a week and hes got more volts and he out bought me and so on. I say run what you want. And how did lipo get into a sub-c thread. Now I'm rambling. And thanks I was about to tell jag the same thing.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:16 PM   #162
Tech Lord

The lead is the only thing that is fair in any slow motor race.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:30 PM   #163
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING
The lead is the only thing that is fair in any slow motor race.
Word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjNNxnKVEpQ
Old 02-07-2007, 09:56 PM   #164
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to muahdib4

Quote:

Now, I know you know your business but how does not allowing something in HIGH END competition help the AVERAGE GUY? The AVERAGE GUY doesn't go to HIGH END competition. Very few do in fact. LiPo helps the AVERAGE GUY by allowing him to worry more about car set up, not buying new batteries every couple months and spending money on other more needed parts. I think I understand where you're coming from but I just don't agree with the statement as written. Most HIGH END competition guys have battery sponsors so they don't really care one way or the other (not all, I know but MANY).
KC/RC Drift Movement
muahdib4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 03:37 AM   #165
Tech Elite

Location: MOOD;; feeling good not racing ,saving shed loads of money,lovely Tan i have aswell

Quote:
Originally Posted by muahdib4
Most HIGH END competition guys have battery sponsors so they don't really care one way or the other (not all, I know but MANY).
ditto
i sort of feel the same over here aswell ,you sort of feel the rules are made for them & them only & they dictate the hobby to which way it goes

And the AVERAGE racer has to to follow suit or start using illegal stuff compared to what`s on the list on the rspective racing body
which is whats happening really
or am i the only one to see it

re;;4 cell
UK have a class for it & about 3-4 racers have entered it
hell even clubs say if not enough racers to fill heat we won`t run it

@Danny
re;;heat shrink on excisting batts
i just know they do ,this is why the batts are being sorted by WEIGHT per cell aswell as dimensions in EFRA & BRCA
compare on the List a couple of post`s up & look at the figures compared with GP4300 & GP4600 nigh on the same fig`s

Even IB do it

oh man this thread has derailed for sure now

not saying anymore about this
sorry to rant
MR JOLLY is offline   Reply With Quote