R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #151
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The mini reciever packs cells are so hard to find, they come in at 2oz. I have one pack in my promod and I'm holding on to that one. I got my mini reciever pack with my gms rail when I bought it used 2 summers ago. Ask the guy's at r/c rods or the other drag sites some guy's still have them or still making them. You could start by asking Speedpro1, he may have the hook up... But I will ask around for you. Did you recieve the part I sent you in the mail for your bolink???
Old 09-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #152
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The part showed up today, Thanks, it's a perfect fit. What does the mini pack look like? is it AA bats? Can you send a pic of the pack?
parnelli97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:18 PM   #153
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjracing View Post
The mini reciever packs cells are so hard to find, they come in at 2oz. I have one pack in my promod and I'm holding on to that one. I got my mini reciever pack with my gms rail when I bought it used 2 summers ago. Ask the guy's at r/c rods or the other drag sites some guy's still have them or still making them.

They aren't rare or anything. 2 ounces is really kind of heavy, actually. My home-made pack is .8 oz or 24g, and that includes an on/off switch and a Futaba plug. Pretty cheap, too...

http://www.promatchracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=1028
http://www.teamirsrc.com/battery.html
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:53 AM   #154
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexSpeed View Post
They aren't rare or anything. 2 ounces is really kind of heavy, actually. My home-made pack is .8 oz or 24g, and that includes an on/off switch and a Futaba plug. Pretty cheap, too...

http://www.promatchracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=1028
http://www.teamirsrc.com/battery.html
The pack is lighter than 2oz., I just threw a number out there just as an example because I wasn't sure of the weight, but to be exact, I just put my pack on the scale it came in at 5/8oz. 4cell with a mini on and off novak switch off of a old ESC. And those mini cells are hard to find now. I know a few drag racers in the beginning of this year that were looking for them too. I had guy's tell me to check the electric airplane batteries and find the smallest pack or smallest cells and make my own pack, which I did with some other mini cells I found off of a park flyer but they are slightly taller and of course and are a little heavier. I can't seem to find the ones I have on my electric promod. Hey ApexSpeed, I will take some pics. of my pack so you could see how small these mini cells are. I have two types of mini cells and I will put them side by side so you could see the difference. If you know where to find those mini cells, Please let all of us know. I (for sure) can use some more of those mini cells for my other cars. Thank's ApexSpeed...
Old 09-05-2007, 08:21 AM   #155
Tech Addict

Well guy's electric has done it again, Them West coast boy's are on fire with them mamba brushless and lipo's. They just had another person run a [email protected] then backed it up with the same e.t. with a 102mph!!!Talk about FLYING!!! Check it out on IMDRA site, there are two video clips of the passes...

Last edited by trjracing; 09-05-2007 at 09:55 AM.
trjracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #156
Tech Addict

These are the pix of my mini receiver pack on my promod. If you know where to get these mini cells, let me know please.

THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails
RC DragRacing Thread-dscf0129.jpg   RC DragRacing Thread-dscf0132.jpg  
Old 09-06-2007, 07:37 PM   #157
Tech Addict

Here is a couple of pictures of my electric promod. A Special Thanks to Mark Price for laying down the paint on the body.
Attached Thumbnails
RC DragRacing Thread-dscf0079.jpg   RC DragRacing Thread-dscf0081.jpg  
Old 09-07-2007, 06:15 AM   #158
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hey,trj! you can get the "mini" cells from cheapbatterypacks.com i buy from them all the time and they VERY reliable,good people. if the "lipo issue" passes over at imdra, we can all start using the really light lipo RX packs! your pro mod looks great BTW! i just finished doing a "rebody" on mine and went very old school, with RAE's 67' Camaro in basic black with silver "Z28" stripes.it's running one of those "west coast" mamba's too! i know it's not legal......yet! i'm just testing...lipo and brushless are coming whether we like it or not. i'm just trying to stay ahead of the learning curve!
Tim T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:56 AM   #159
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim T View Post
hey,trj! you can get the "mini" cells from cheapbatterypacks.com i buy from them all the time and they VERY reliable,good people. if the "lipo issue" passes over at imdra, we can all start using the really light lipo RX packs! your pro mod looks great BTW! i just finished doing a "rebody" on mine and went very old school, with RAE's 67' Camaro in basic black with silver "Z28" stripes.it's running one of those "west coast" mamba's too! i know it's not legal......yet! i'm just testing...lipo and brushless are coming whether we like it or not. i'm just trying to stay ahead of the learning curve!
Thank's a million Tim T for the tip on the mini cells, and Thank's for commenting on my promod. As for using lipo rx packs that would be great!!! It look's like lipo and brushless are finding a place in dragracing which is great, dragracing is about going as fast as you can with what ever you are using. Them westcoast boy's are making alot of noise with them mamba brushless set up's and it's starting a brushless trend all through the r/c dragracing sport. Don't count out the brushed with the sub c's yet, they will stay in this sport. With sub c battery technology brushed will stay in this sport and with guy's like RAE making them sick 6magnet drag motors, brushed isn't going anywhere anytime soon. This will probably be the only sport left to use brushed motors and maybe rock crawling too. Hey Tim T, If you get a chance post up some pics. of doorslammer. I would like to see the 132ft. beast you are working on. It's alway's good to see what our fellow dragracers are working on. That brushless with lipo on your doorslammer is going to be serious, those e.t.'s will be low with a big mph!!! I can't wait to hear the results of your car. Let us know Please...
Old 09-07-2007, 10:21 AM   #160
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i will sure keep you informed of my progress with my promod. i'll try to get some pics. up saturday morning. it seems crazy here in phx./mesa,AZ but it's been really cloudy and raining! i'm in the process of changing the steering on my GMS dragster to the front axle used on the GMS funny car. it's a little wider and uses the normal kingpin/axle setup. i've still got some RAE brushed motors and your right, they are monsters...but i sure did get tired of cutting comms. and working on brushes. maybe i'm just getting lazy/smart? in my old age! i'm also trying to find aluminum 48p spur gears up to 96T. i found a place called RC4WD.com that makes them,but only in 87T. they wanted $45 to make the bigger gears....WOW!
Tim T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #161
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

So on these mini receiver packs, can you use the 1/3AAA 160mah cells, and you only need 4, now how long does this pack last, and how long would it take to charge? Approximates of course I know it varies with each pack and charger.

Also I'm curious about some battery things, the mah rating has to do with how long the pack will last is that correct? And I already know higher mah ratings weigh more, so why is it every sub c dragster I've seen are running 4000+mah packs? Doing the math, it would be better to run a very low mah pack, that is much lighter and charge them between runs... Of course you would need a few packs but thats acceptable.

The one thing I dislike about cheapbatterypacks is their cheap cells are always out of stock.
parnelli97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:09 PM   #162
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by parnelli97 View Post
So on these mini receiver packs, can you use the 1/3AAA 160mah cells, and you only need 4, now how long does this pack last, and how long would it take to charge? Approximates of course I know it varies with each pack and charger.

Also I'm curious about some battery things, the mah rating has to do with how long the pack will last is that correct? And I already know higher mah ratings weigh more, so why is it every sub c dragster I've seen are running 4000+mah packs? Doing the math, it would be better to run a very low mah pack, that is much lighter and charge them between runs... Of course you would need a few packs but thats acceptable.

The one thing I dislike about cheapbatterypacks is their cheap cells are always out of stock.
Yes, the lower the mah the lighter the cells are all you need is 4 cells to power up you reciever and you can charge them up in between runs it only takes me 3 minutes to charge my mini cells at 1 amp and I get 2 passes on them safely. They do the job just fine...
Old 09-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #163
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

wow that promod is sinister!!! I would love to build a pro-stock but there aren't any tracks around south Fl. that I know of where I could use it.
sinisterRC - High Performance R/C
sinisterRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 12:14 PM   #164
Tech Addict

In Florida they race at Titusville at the college over there... Speak to the guys at r/c rods for more info.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:15 PM   #165
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisterRC View Post
wow that promod is sinister!!! I would love to build a pro-stock but there aren't any tracks around south Fl. that I know of where I could use it.
Thank's...